PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Demario Douglas - Round 6 - 210th Overall

He's actually really similar to your guy (well one of them), Zay - identical measurables. Did equally as well last year against Wake Forest, and Demario killed UConn (8 rec 70 yds, 2 rush 105yds 1TD), while Zay was a dud against UConn (2 rec 35yds, 1rush -10yds).
Zay didn't do any agility drills. If you take those out. They're very similar. 7.05 really isn't terrible either. He doesn't lose a ton of speed weaving and honestly wins more with lateral cuts, jumps, dead leg etc thats more east/west and explode as opposed to dancing around, stopping & starting etc
20230501_121954.png

We'll max out that strength but those jumps and splits are what you want to see.

I know there were other names at different points but Boutte and Douglas are a nice swing in the 6th.

At a minimum he seems useful in the middle/end of games to catch teams off guard with his speed. Kind of like Isaiah MacKenzie.

a lot of those jump balls in his highlight reel aren't going to work at the NFL level with 5'8" height

but seems like a playmaker, will be interesting to see how he develops

That 39.5" vertical and his decent arm length (30.25") for his size and the fact that he times his jumps nearly perfectly can and will make up for that in the Jump balls, but he's unlikely to see a lot of those out of the slot at the pro-level.

An early favorite for the binkie late round WR who may even be a pre-seaon star before going to the PS.

Maybe he hangs on as a return guy. I like his agility. Hard to take anything from the highlights.

179 lbs at his height is pretty jacked

Zay didn't do any agility drills. If you take those out. They're very similar. 7.05 really isn't terrible either. He doesn't lose a ton of speed weaving and honestly wins more with lateral cuts, jumps, dead leg etc thats more east/west and explode as opposed to dancing around, stopping & starting etc

We'll max out that strength but those jumps and splits are what you want to see.

I know there were other names at different points but Boutte and Douglas are a nice swing in the 6th.

I would've taken Wake Forest's AT Perry ahead of Booty, without even one nanosecond of hesitation.

I would have double dipped at cornerback Vs taking DL in the second.

Colts had a hell of a draft in the mid rounds so did the Broncos.

Demario Douglas had the most successful NCAA career of all wide receivers based on receptions and completions and next one was JSN.

Yes level of competition was low but that's not his fault . Very hard not to root for him... Boy ! The separation that he gets ... After the Harry trauma , this is the medicine that the doctor ordered for all WR deprived pats fans.. hoping he strikes and does not stink !

We are rooting for you demario... Run like Mario Bros!

Demario Douglas had the most successful NCAA career of all wide receivers based on receptions and completions and next one was JSN.

Yes level of competition was low but that's not his fault . Very hard not to root for him... Boy ! The separation that he gets ... After the Harry trauma , this is the medicine that the doctor ordered for all WR deprived pats fans.. hoping he strikes and does not stink !

We are rooting for you demario... Run like Mario Bros!
He is really shifty and has great instincts with ball in his hands. I was all excited about Boutte but Douglas looks like a player, even if its just a PS spot for now seems like a guy who could help us particularly for short pass game, screens, end-arounds, perhaps a returner.

Between Thornton, Douglas, and Boutte theres definitely a lot of speed and potential there. Hopefully one of the three can step up...

The only thing that keeps me from being really excited about the pick is the physical/athletic profile.

How many 5-8, 175-pound WRs that didn't run sub 4.4 40s have had success in the NFL?

Maybe Tyler Lockett? But even Lockett's a half-step faster, a bit better in terms of agility testing, and slightly larger than Douglas. And Lockett also happens to be an excellent route runner.

The videos are fun to watch, but I'm not sure how wide the path is for him to become an NFL caliber receiver.
Good question. Size does matter. But so does the player's role. Douglas projects to be a slot receiver not an outside X. So he's probably appropriately sized and quick for his likely role.

Desean Jackson vs Demario Douglas RAS looks eerily similar.

1683855772200.jpeg

Jackson has been selected 3x to the Pro Bowl in his career.

We need fast, quick receivers underneath open up deep strikes with Thornton. The way Jameson Williams got free at Bama is the way to get it done with another slender speedster like Thornton: bunch formations or put him in motion.

He is really shifty and has great instincts with ball in his hands. I was all excited about Boutte but Douglas looks like a player, even if its just a PS spot for now seems like a guy who could help us particularly for short pass game, screens, end-arounds, perhaps a returner.

Between Thornton, Douglas, and Boutte theres definitely a lot of speed and potential there. Hopefully one of the three can step up...
If Douglas and/or Boutte are really going to be NFL WRs, I want them both on the 53, even at the cost of a vet. Pats are a couple of years away. WRs are coming into the NFL now ready to rumble.

If Douglas and/or Boutte are really going to be NFL WRs, I want them both on the 53, even at the cost of a vet. Pats are a couple of years away. WRs are coming into the NFL now ready to rumble.

Agreed. I like Bourne and think he could have a bounce back year in a better run offensive system, but if he loses his spot because Boutte and Douglas look ready for roles in year 1, I think that's better for the team long term. Same with Parker, but I think the rooks aren't really competing for his role. His path to the roster is more about if O'Brien's system has a use for his skillset (and if he's healthy enough to perform it). Parker is basically competing against his own body. Bourne is competing with the rooks.

DawgHouse
Double-D
Dor...DeVante Parker
JUSS
Boney-T
Bootie

Seems to me the only question is: are we carrying 5 or 6 WR? Injuries will likely answer that question for us anyway...Bootie might also be catching the Foxborough Flu soon, to let his ankle get even stronger...

Agreed. I like Bourne and think he could have a bounce back year in a better run offensive system, but if he loses his spot because Boutte and Douglas look ready for roles in year 1, I think that's better for the team long term. Same with Parker, but I think the rooks aren't really competing for his role. His path to the roster is more about if O'Brien's system has a use for his skillset (and if he's healthy enough to perform it). Parker is basically competing against his own body. Bourne is competing with the rooks.
Lol so true.. I like Parker, he's gigantic and has excellent hands, and I agree about his role. I have a feeling both Boutte and Douglas are gonna be good, I really like that they are both playmakers.

I can’t imagine in any alternate universe where Boutte or Douglas beat out Bourne. It’s not a bad comparison (lack of a better phrase) but IMO Bourne was held back in 2022 because of the obvious issues with coaching.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back