PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Sanders on Julian Edelman...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some fans, it's true. Other players? Most receivers can play from slot to Z these days, so its hard to say who is a slot receiver. I would be surprised if most players didn't respect Julian Edelman or Doug Baldwin, Mohammed Sanu or many others who line up or have lined up in the slot a lot.

It is what it is. Railing against the reality of perception isn't going to change the reality of perception. There's a reason the Welkers and Edelmans of the world get paid pennies on the dollar in comparison to the Bryants and Greens.

I've always liked Sanders, he was a great talent, but even he would be the first guy to tell you that he wasn't exactly ready to stick his head down and make a tackle. The guy is always upbeat and doesn't trash anyone. And yes, he and Irvin together are good TV
He was on with LaDanian after the game last night and was amazed that Brady was going to his 7th SB.. He was trying to tell people how great it was and LaDanian was sheepish and nearly whispered that he never got to one.....

Deion, one of the all time great corners, respects Edelman.
deion heaped same kind of praise on wes during his prime years with the pats

Except Branch was traded for a first round pick after winning Super Bowl MVP, so that doesn't really hold water. Brown I'll agree with, however.

I'd say it's a little odd that Edelman is always referred to as scrappy or a hard worker, but never as an elite athlete or someone oozing with raw athleticism, despite incredible testing numbers. His short shuttle and three-cone time are some of the best marks in history. The vocabulary reveals an ingrained narrative that's outdated. I'm tired of "cerebral" white players and "beast" or "animal" black players. I'd say the reports show that Brissett is an intelligent leader of men. Edelman is a freak athlete. Give them their due and don't pigeonhole people.

To be fair, I don't know how many people call Edelman a cerebral player (although, like all successful Patriots receivers, he is). They usually go for the "scrappy competitor" card, and I think at least his agility is widely acknowledged. People seem to think he has no straight line speed because he's white though.

We were 1-4 without Edelman last year.

We are 10-0 without Gronk.

Gronk is a top 5 player in the league when healthy but Edelman is irreplaceable. You can buy talent but you can't buy toughness, clutch and heart.

Whether he gets the credit or not, he's a win away from being a HUGE part of a second Super Bowl. That's all i care about as a fan. 20 years from now Edelman will be remembered as a Patriots legend that helped us win (at least :d) two Super Bowls and his temporary ranking at his position will not be.

Julian YAC Edelman .. moves the chains .. as if he is wearing them..

Underdog love .. Eternal binkie..

The strange thing is, many of us who were lucky enough to see the Brady-Branch partnership in action have strived to see another Branch develop - yet he's been here all this time.

I'm paraphrasing slightly here, cos it's from my slightly hazy memory from post game but Deion went off on the host when he tried to dismiss Jules as an afterthought....

"Let's call it what it is, flat out reverse racism. He's a top 5 wr in the league but nobody talks about him because he's caucasian. Everyone knows he's the main target but no one has been able to stop him for 7 damn years. No one got an answer for him. He goes deep, he goes across the middle, he throws the ball, he runs the ball, he moves the chains."
Prefer to leave racism out of it. Know what the Falcons are still called down there.

Did you ever notice how many "beefs" that Edelman gets into every game?? He is always in somebodys' face.. he is not known for backing down.

He is a tough bastard...
It is unnecessary when we are up by over three TDs and he still wants to get YAC and get into people's faces. This is where I want him to improve along with Gronk. Get the first down and get the hell down.

Edelman has over 1000 yards receiving in his last 10 games. That is a 1600 yard season. In any universe, that is elite. Since Gronk went down, we needed a reliable monster. JE responded big-time.

We were 1-4 without Edelman last year.

We are 10-0 without Gronk.

Gronk is a top 5 player in the league when healthy but Edelman is irreplaceable. You can buy talent but you can't buy toughness, clutch and heart.

Whether he gets the credit or not, he's a win away from being a HUGE part of a second Super Bowl. That's all i care about as a fan. 20 years from now Edelman will be remembered as a Patriots legend that helped us win (at least :d) two Super Bowls and his temporary ranking at his position will not be.

Our season went to poop last year the second he got hurt at the meadowlands. Brady was never the same after.

He is a short slot receiver with the GOAT QB throwing to him. I think he is severely underrated also because of those factors. Being white is probably not a significant factor.

Since Jules became a full-time WR in 2013 he's played 9 PO games averaging about 8 receptions and 95yds per game.

I loved his YAC last night clawing, pushing, diving. It's all out war for any extra inch....

How many third and longs has Brady gone to JE for the first down to keep a drive alive? I bet it's a high number.

Julian Edelman is amazing and he is what makes our offense go. Besides being white, he is not a true deep threat/scoring threat and that is why he is so lowly regarded. Hogan opened up a lot of eyes this post season and what he was doing deep is not something Edelman can do consistently. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta sees Hogan as a bigger threat than Edelman even though that is clearly wrong.

Doug Baldwin is virtually Edelman, and he too is often forgotten. Looking at Edelman's stats show that he only scored three tds in the regular season. That is sort of low for an elite wr. All of us Pats fans know how great he is but I can definitely see why everyone else thinks otherwise.

I'm paraphrasing slightly here, cos it's from my slightly hazy memory from post game but Deion went off on the host when he tried to dismiss Jules as an afterthought....

"Let's call it what it is, flat out reverse racism. He's a top 5 wr in the league but nobody talks about him because he's caucasian. Everyone knows he's the main target but no one has been able to stop him for 7 damn years. No one got an answer for him. He goes deep, he goes across the middle, he throws the ball, he runs the ball, he moves the chains."
I like that he points out that he isnt just a slot guy, so many people seem to stick with idea because of the Welker-Edelman connection in 09 but he really isnt the same kind of receiver.

Looking at Edelman's stats show that he only scored three tds in the regular season. That is sort of low for an elite wr. All of us Pats fans know how great he is but I can definitely see why everyone else thinks otherwise.

Another great example of complimentary football epitomizing the Patriots' success, and actually refuting your point. If one guy gets you down the the field, and the other guy scores (this year "the other guy" being Blount with his huge TD #s) the defense can't just double the one guy and destroy an offense. Same principle as the diversified portfolio being resistant to downturns. This doesn't even take into consideration the massive cap hit the "elite" WR carries impacting the ability to round out the rest of the roster.

I'll take a complimentary team approach over a single "elite" WR every time.

Deion Sanders GOAT player and a great TV personality, one of the best.

He's entertaining and isn't afraid to tell it how it is. Yet at the same time he's genuine, doesn't feel like he's trying to force a "hot take".

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes