PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Sanders: Losing the bye is the best thing that could happen to Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always thought fans overrate rest as contributing to winning. They probably underrate homefield.
I can see the argument that the way this team played last week in terms of being ready for the divisional round playing a game this week may be helpful.
The problems are (a) you could lose and (b) now the divisional is on the road.
Teams with byes often end up in the conf championship because getting there means 1 home win.
But the games will be decided on the field and how anyone feels about anyone’s chances is irrelevant.
You can't deny that a week away from playing -- especially at playoff intensity -- is beneficial to healing, not just rest. Also to preparation. Then there's the fatigue factor from playing that extra game and traveling the next week. I can't see any upside to the Patriots playing this week but they have only themselves to blame.

There may be some truth to what Deion said, but no. A few weeks ago, the comment from Deion was the Patriots were getting a receiver....Anyone notice in a new commercial Deion is walking gingerly, like he has health issues (back) ?

You can't deny that a week away from playing -- especially at playoff intensity -- is beneficial to healing, not just rest. Also to preparation. Then there's the fatigue factor from playing that extra game and traveling the next week. I can't see any upside to the Patriots playing this week but they have only themselves to blame.
Preparing for a game and playing a game, particularly one where you play very well better prepares a team for competing in the next round that sitting out.
I’m not a believer that nfl players are any better healed by a week off than by a game, or that fatigue is a factor. Every player has some form of injury at his point. I’m not saying the week off won’t make you feel a little physically better, I’m saying I don’t think it dramatically affects your play, and I do think that the way this season has evolved, for this team another game to work the offense into sync is a good thing and someone needs to figure out what happened to the defense last week and competition is the best way.

Preparing for a game and playing a game, particularly one where you play very well better prepares a team for competing in the next round that sitting out.
I’m not a believer that nfl players are any better healed by a week off than by a game, or that fatigue is a factor. Every player has some form of injury at his point. I’m not saying the week off won’t make you feel a little physically better, I’m saying I don’t think it dramatically affects your play, and I do think that the way this season has evolved, for this team another game to work the offense into sync is a good thing and someone needs to figure out what happened to the defense last week and competition is the best way.
But it's not just a week off, it's two weeks without contact/going 100 percent (good for Edelman, Sanu, the corners, treatment for Brady's elbow, etc.). Plus, in the Pats' case it's more invaluable practice time for the likes of Harry. This stuff adds up. We can agree to disagree but I think missing out on the bye for this team especially in its current state is pretty big.

Last edited:
I think that is overrated. You don’t have to feel the same way.
But we will see what happens.

That is because you can't quantify health like in a computer game. But we have all seen how big the jump for a player like Mason was when he finally really got over his ankle injury.

One more game is certainly not a death sentence but it makes it more likely that JJones or JMac reaggravate their groin, Cannon his ankle, Brady his elbow or Edelman his knee. At least more likely than if they were sitting at home.

What the hell, let’s play the silver lining game. The loss to the Dolphins means:

— More reps for the offense and especially Harry, which he desperately needs, particularly to get on the same page as Brady

—The offensive line, Michel and the overall run game has started to mesh the last few weeks, and that progression will continue being able to play another game

—The loss was a needed slice of humble pie for the bogeyman and their defensive player of the year, so in addition to being a really talented unit, they will now be playing with something to prove

— The Pats are officially a genuine and considerable underdog in the AFC now, and Brady and Belichick and the Patriots have always responded well to being counted out

—If they beat the Titans, and go to KC, all of the pressure will be on KC again to finally beat the Patriots in front of their home fans, who will be ready to turn on the Chiefs the moment it doesn’t look good

How’s that?

believing having to play an extra game against a physical team and then having to play KC on the road opposed to at home is a good thing..is just plain idiotic.

In the end, it is moot. The Pats are playing the wild card. Might as well find whatever positives they can.

The bye wouldnt matter if the pats were playing like the ravens winning bunch in a row coming into the playoffs. the current pats team needs rest and a reset from the last 4 games of the season to refocus. Not to mention most players were assuming they were getting a bye before the game now have to wake up and be mentally ready to play.

But it's not just a week off, it's two weeks without contact/going 100 percent (good for Edelman, Sanu, the corners, treatment for Brady's elbow, etc.). Plus, in the Pats' case it's more invaluable practice time for the likes of Harry. This stuff adds up. We can agree to disagree but I think missing out on the bye for this team especially in its current state is pretty big.
There is no additional practice time. In fact they get extra days off with a bye.
It’s not 2 weeks, it’s a one week difference.
This week they will practice hard and prepare for a game and compete it in. There is no doubt in my mind that doing that has a team more ready to compete the following week.
I’m just not following your point. You want players to sit inactive so they can heal but how does that make them more ready to play? If that is the case then sit those players out this week.
I can understand the value in a week off to rest up but I don’t see how it necessarily makes a team more ready to play than continuing to play does.
I recognize that people disagree because I started the conversation with the fact that o think fans overrate exactly the things you are saying.

That is because you can't quantify health like in a computer game. But we have all seen how big the jump for a player like Mason was when he finally really got over his ankle injury.

One more game is certainly not a death sentence but it makes it more likely that JJones or JMac reaggravate their groin, Cannon his ankle, Brady his elbow or Edelman his knee. At least more likely than if they were sitting at home.
Well obviously if you sustain injuries that’s a negative. I was referring to the idea that sitting out a week helps a football team.

Option 1 win against Miami
2 games overall:
1 home game probably against Kc
Then if...
1 probable road game at Bal

Option 2 loss against Miami
Not 2 but 3 games...
1 home game against Ten
Then if...
1 ROAD game @KC
Then if...
1 probable road game @ Baltimore

I see a HUGE difference...real huge...sorry Deion...

Option 1 win against Miami
2 games overall:
1 home game probably against Kc
Then if...
1 probable road game at Bal

Option 2 loss against Miami
Not 2 but 3 games...
1 home game against Ten
Then if...
1 ROAD game @KC
Then if...
1 probable road game @ Baltimore

I see a HUGE difference...real huge...sorry Deion...
Of course it would be better to be the 2 seed, but at this stage it’s not a terrible thing for this team to go back out on the field and compete in order to improve.
It’s worse to use to play then go on the road but given the state of the team I’m not sure it would be worse to have to play if they were still at home next week. Hence the belief that the loss of hfa in divisional round is a much bigger loss than losing the bye.

Obviously the road is harder. But IF they get to the AFCCG in Baltimore, the extra game will help them. And the Pats are not just playing to get to the AFCCG

`
There is no additional practice time. In fact they get extra days off with a bye.
It’s not 2 weeks, it’s a one week difference.
This week they will practice hard and prepare for a game and compete it in. There is no doubt in my mind that doing that has a team more ready to compete the following week.
I’m just not following your point. You want players to sit inactive so they can heal but how does that make them more ready to play? If that is the case then sit those players out this week.
I can understand the value in a week off to rest up but I don’t see how it necessarily makes a team more ready to play than continuing to play does.
I recognize that people disagree because I started the conversation with the fact that o think fans overrate exactly the things you are saying.
Come on Andy, you're smarter than that. There absolutely IS additional practice time with a bye -- plus valuable additional prep time for the coaches. The injured guys aren't "sitting inactive," they're getting treatment and time off constitutes a long weekend. If the bye week wasn't important they wouldn't have them.

`
Come on Andy, you're smarter than that. There absolutely IS additional practice time with a bye -- plus valuable additional prep time for the coaches. The injured guys aren't "sitting inactive," they're getting treatment and time off constitutes a long weekend. If the bye week wasn't important they wouldn't have them.
How is there additional practice time, Irving?

They are practicing this week for this game and will practice next week for the next game.
If they had a bye they probably would have been off until Friday. You are wrong on this fact.
What is different between sitting inactive and getting treatment other than connotation?

I never said there was no benefit to a bye.
If you have a bye you win that week. That’s the clear benefit.
Also if you get a bye you are home next week.

You are saying not having to play football for a week is also a benefit and I am saying not necessarily and in the case of this team at this point having a game to compete and improve is important.

How is there additional practice time, Irving?

They are practicing this week for this game and will practice next week for the next game.
If they had a bye they probably would have been off until Friday. You are wrong on this fact.
What is different between sitting inactive and getting treatment other than connotation?

I never said there was no benefit to a bye.
If you have a bye you win that week. That’s the clear benefit.
Also if you get a bye you are home next week.

You are saying not having to play football for a week is also a benefit and I am saying not necessarily and in the case of this team at this point having a game to compete and improve is important.
Maybe you're not Andy after all, Andy knew more than this. He knew, for instance, that teams practice during the extra bye week and take the subsequent weekend off before game-plan installation the following week. You're the one who's wrong. Moving on.

Maybe you're not Andy after all, Andy knew more than this. He knew, for instance, that teams practice during the extra bye week and take the subsequent weekend off before game-plan installation the following week. You're the one who's wrong. Moving on.
Please explain how that equals more practice than playing both weeks.
If I am wrong show me how bye plus a game leads to more practice than game plus a game.

Losing the bye is never good especially since the team desperately needs to heal and then at least you get the division game at home , I don't agree with Deion on this one, there is a reason that overall wild card teams don't make the SB as often and teams that have the bye. Hopefully the Patriots buck their own trend this year and make it to February but after losing last weekend the odds dropped by quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back