PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Sanders: Losing the bye is the best thing that could happen to Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he said/meant that playing in wildcard weekend is good for us. He feels we will still be okay.

Don't kill me now :D

I'm surprised Deion hasn't been fired with his unabashed Patriots love while continually failing to tow the company line. Don't think I've heard him call the Patriots cheaters once (honorable mention to Rich Eisen).

What a monumentally dumb take.

This team probably needed the bye more than just about any in recent memory. Rest up, hope that the Titans took a pound of flesh out of the Chiefs then try and win a close game at home. If somehow the Ravens were upset they are in prime position to make it to the Super Bowl and if not they still have a punchers chance to win at Baltimore.

As it stands now, Brady and Edelman go in banged up and they are set to face a very physical Titans team. Odds of winning it all probably dropped from 20% to 5%.

Did he refer to himself as “Prime”?

What a monumentally dumb take.

This team probably needed the bye more than just about any in recent memory. Rest up, hope that the Titans took a pound of flesh out of the Chiefs then try and win a close game at home. If somehow the Ravens were upset they are in prime position to make it to the Super Bowl and if not they still have a punchers chance to win at Baltimore.

As it stands now, Brady and Edelman go in banged up and they are set to face a very physical Titans team. Odds of winning it all probably dropped from 20% to 5%.

KC would have rolled the Titans imo.

I like Deion but has he gotten into Irvin’s stash again? Health reasons alone is why I wanted a bye.

Yea that was the most important factor.. this team is already really banged up, and now they have to get into a nasty, grind it out slugfest with the Titans where they will pummel each other for 60 minutes. Then the winner gets to limp into Kansas City.

I usually avoid overt negativity and/or gloom and doom but last Sunday's game was a back breaker.

I'm surprised Deion hasn't been fired with his unabashed Patriots love while continually failing to tow the company line. Don't think I've heard him call the Patriots cheaters once (honorable mention to Rich Eisen).

He's like the anti-Faulk !

I'll start by saying I've always maintained Deion is one of the best analysts in the game, and I frequently compliment his knowledge of how things work in the real football world behind the scenes. His predictions are sometimes unexpected but his logic is sound and he often makes others look silly (see his predictions on the Patriots last year for example). So, I don't feel like I'm quoting some Pats homer or crackpot looking for attention here. Just an interesting take. I don't agree this is a good thing necessarily due to the chances alone of needing to win one more game (and the huge homefield difference at Arrowhead vs. Gillette), but this is certainly the only silver lining I've seen.

Deion Sanders Explains Why Losing Bye Was ‘Best Thing To Ever Happen’ To Patriots

“They don’t need a bye. Offensively, they’ve had a bye all year,” Sanders said Sunday on NFL Network’s “NFL GameDay Prime.” “The receivers have had a bye the whole training camp and everything. They don’t need a bye. They need to stay in it and work on their game and work on getting back to the Super Bowl, where they rightfully belong. This is not a team that deserves, nor needs a week off. This is the best thing to ever happen to them. It really is.”

Deion has been riding the pats and brady bandwagon all yr. Sometimes without reason. This is one of them. If they got the bye he would turn it around as a big deal. Kinda a microcosm of the media. Some of them take sides and stick with it for the narrative and clicks.

I'll start by saying I've always maintained Deion is one of the best analysts in the game, and I frequently compliment his knowledge of how things work in the real football world behind the scenes. His predictions are sometimes unexpected but his logic is sound and he often makes others look silly (see his predictions on the Patriots last year for example). So, I don't feel like I'm quoting some Pats homer or crackpot looking for attention here. Just an interesting take. I don't agree this is a good thing necessarily due to the chances alone of needing to win one more game (and the huge homefield difference at Arrowhead vs. Gillette), but this is certainly the only silver lining I've seen.

Deion Sanders Explains Why Losing Bye Was ‘Best Thing To Ever Happen’ To Patriots

“They don’t need a bye. Offensively, they’ve had a bye all year,” Sanders said Sunday on NFL Network’s “NFL GameDay Prime.” “The receivers have had a bye the whole training camp and everything. They don’t need a bye. They need to stay in it and work on their game and work on getting back to the Super Bowl, where they rightfully belong. This is not a team that deserves, nor needs a week off. This is the best thing to ever happen to them. It really is.”

Interesting anyway

I actually agree with him. Team is still working on the offense and they are better off with a a home game against a winnable opponent they can test themselves against than a week off and being told to try to win a shootout with Chiefs right away

Yeah an extra week to be healthy seems nice but it’s not going to amount to a whole lot. Realistically this is the situation we are rolling with so we might as well find ways to make it work and grind it out

There is one upside to not having a BYE..the fact that McD and Judge cannot schedule interviews until 1/5 at the earliest.......the longer we retain our assistants...the better....

Gotta agree with Deon on this one.

Pats have the NFL right where they want them. Get the champagne ready.

I usually avoid overt negativity and/or gloom and doom but last Sunday's game was a back breaker.

For sure. With the stakes being what they were I was shocked that they came out dead with no urgency at all. That bye would’ve been huge for Tom and Jules, oh well. If they don’t go to Miami in February I’m ok with it, too much success to get down on them.

I actually agree with him. Team is still working on the offense and they are better off with a a home game against a winnable opponent they can test themselves against than a week off and being told to try to win a shootout with Chiefs right away

Yeah an extra week to be healthy seems nice but it’s not going to amount to a whole lot. Realistically this is the situation we are rolling with so we might as well find ways to make it work and grind it out
I have always thought fans overrate rest as contributing to winning. They probably underrate homefield.
I can see the argument that the way this team played last week in terms of being ready for the divisional round playing a game this week may be helpful.
The problems are (a) you could lose and (b) now the divisional is on the road.
Teams with byes often end up in the conf championship because getting there means 1 home win.
But the games will be decided on the field and how anyone feels about anyone’s chances is irrelevant.

They decided they needed one more pre season game

I have always thought fans overrate rest as contributing to winning. They probably underrate homefield.

It is not the rest itself. It is the additional game which will leave many players in a worse physical shape than no game at all.

I can see the argument that the way this team played last week in terms of being ready for the divisional round playing a game this week may be helpful.
The problems are (a) you could lose and (b) now the divisional is on the road.
Teams with byes often end up in the conf championship because getting there means 1 home win.
But the games will be decided on the field and how anyone feels about anyone’s chances is irrelevant.
This is where I agree with you. It obviously would be 100% better to be at home vs the road. That said... one week of rest isn't going to answer this teams issues. This isn't an RPG where one week magically gets everyone healthy. It was the same golden carrot people had in 2015 where they thought "well maybe after the bye week", no it doesn't work like that.

This team offensively does legitimately need practical application and work imo. It's not going to magically come out of the bye a better offense. Let's be real, once we lost the one seed, our playoff prosects went down. At least now we have something resembling a grind out game that is winnable where we can work some kinks out and build momentum. Because this team sure as hell wasn't going to have any bye week or not

It is not the rest itself. It is the additional game which will leave many players in a worse physical shape than no game at all.
I think that is overrated. You don’t have to feel the same way.
But we will see what happens.
I just don’t think playing this week (assuming a win) reduces their chances of beating KC. I do think playing on the road reduces their chances.
There really isn’t a way to use history because 3 or4 seeds are largely worse teams than 1 or 2 and are on the road so it’s hard to gauge the impact of the week off amidst all those factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back