Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should QBs get to throw the ball any way they like it?

• Yes

Votes: 82 70.1%
  • No the ball should be one way for everybody

Votes: 35 29.9%

• Total voters
He mentions no temperatures or PSI for his formula. It's been pretty widely reported that the temperature drop alone from filling them in at 70 degrees to a couple hours at 40 degree temps would result in a .5 PSI drop. His article also reads like he knows what the PSI of the deflated ball was "...not possible for the pressure drop you are talking about"

Yeah, it's maddening. I emailed the physicist to ask for his calculations and reasoning. I will report back, of course, if I hear from him.

How can a physicist be so bad at math?

Two thirds less of 12.5 is 4.17, not 11.5.

Besides, if the footballs were at 4.17 psi they would have been impossible to miss, and nearly impossible to throw.

If there were two-thirds less, the ball would crumple since it would have less pressure than the atmosphere outside.

He mentions no temperatures or PSI for his formula. It's been pretty widely reported that the temperature drop alone from filling them in at 70 degrees to a couple hours at 40 degree temps would result in a .5 PSI drop. His article also reads like he knows what the PSI of the deflated ball was "...not possible for the pressure drop you are talking about"

This guy is wrong. As I said I set up race cars and race karts and temp and the air pressure for tires is key.

Just a bunch of losers complaining

Who even cares about the temp/PSI connection to possibly explain the pressure drop! All it takes to explain a PSI drop is simply a malfunctioning (ie leaky) ball .... due to whatever external factors one can imagine including, but not limited to, repeated compression of ball against the hard surface of a field by heavyweights or simply wear and tear.

I'm all for hiring the guy from "no country for old men" next year to pump those balls.

He can use his air gun on a few members of the media while he's at it.

"whats the most you ever lost on the toss of a coin"

Who even cares about the temp/PSI connection to possibly explain the pressure drop! All it takes to explain a PSI drop is simply a malfunctioning (ie leaky) ball .... due to whatever external factors one can imagine including, but not limited to, repeated compression of ball against the hard surface of a field by heavyweights or simply wear and tear.

agreed

How can a physicist be so bad at math?

Two thirds less of 12.5 is 4.17, not 11.5.

Besides, if the footballs were at 4.17 psi they would have been impossible to miss, and nearly impossible to throw.

If (as the conspiracy theorists and Pats-bashers insist) this was all planned out by Belichick and the Patriots, then with that in mind why would the Pats call for any long pass plays? The Herald article claims that an under-inflated ball is easier to throw, but that is factually incorrect. While it may be easier to grip, an under-inflated ball is more difficult to throw and will not travel as well through the air. On the contrary, an over-inflated ball (as Aaron Rodgers noted) is more favorable for a quarterback to throw.
He is working under the assumption that the ball was completely deflated. This is the misconception out there, it hurts. I hate ignorance.

Yeah, it's maddening. I emailed the physicist to ask for his calculations and reasoning. I will report back, of course, if I hear from him.
Perhaps a nice big check from the news channel ?? ;)

NFL Investigating Whether Patriots Played Game With Properly Inflated Vince Wilfork
PHOTO FINISHSportsFootballNFL FootballISSUE 51•03 • Jan 20, 2015
700.jpg

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nf...um=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Pic:1:Default

I really am not a conspiracy theorist- Goodell is just a buffoon, not some Jets operative- but still. With the Rodgers and Vikings material now out in the open, and with contradictory stories about how this 'investigation began' (either Jackson told his coaches the ball felt weird, or he didn't, per Bob McScoop Kravitz), the only reason I can see this being dragged out through the Super Bowl is the complete disdain between the league and Belichick. Really lame, also lame that Bobby Kraft, who has quite a lot of influence on Roger, is passive about it.

Love how Hurley absolutely destroyed that article. Good stuff

I believe I am done on this thread. I will wait for the outcome. After all the expected and par-for-the-course media hype, I am seriously doubting it is any issue. Fans and media members who are also fans of teams are showing their BSPN color. I never really realized how bad we were hated out there. It just amazes me.

As a final hope and desire on this one, I DO hope it festers and festers inside that Patriot locker room until February 1st when they come out as a team and surgically dismantle and physically punish the Seagulls.

Game mother f-in on.....

Watching ESPN First Take. Stephen A. Smith is actually defending the Patriots against Jerome Bettis. I never thought that Stephen A. Smith would actually defend us.

repeated compression of ball against the hard surface of a field by heavyweights or simply wear and tear.

Or an 18 player pile up at the goal line (Blount's first TD) bet that squeezed some life out of the ball!

the only reason I can see this being dragged out through the Super Bowl is the complete disdain between the league and Belichick. Really lame, also lame that Bobby Kraft, who has quite a lot of influence on Roger, is passive about it.

Double-bingo! Like Curran said this morning, "The league office will grind the Patriots -- Belichick specifically –- whenever it can. Don’t expect a quick conclusion."

Aside from a blu-ray and a T-shirt if they win SB49, I am done with spending money on anything Patriots-related beyond the minimum spend needed to attend an occasional game. I'm tired of Kraft playing kissy-face with the other owners and HQ when he gets nothing for it.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back