Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should QBs get to throw the ball any way they like it?

• Yes

Votes: 82 70.1%
  • No the ball should be one way for everybody

Votes: 35 29.9%

• Total voters
My guess is that Brady likes a softer ball, and the Pats routinely inflate their balls to the minimum level, use hot air, or even under-inflate them and count on the refs not catching it. Other teams inflate their balls based on their own QBs preferences.

I suspect this has been common practice in the NFL and has been going on for a long time, but since the Colts decided to raise a stink about it, and it is the Pats, this is made into a major issue.

I would love to know what the psi was for the game balls was for that 2009 59-0 Tennessee snow bowl game. For years I've always thought Brady was the best winter qb in NFL history.

I have trouble wrapping my head around the damnation from information with no context.

I definitely agree with you that no one should be jumping to conclusions without the investigation first being completed, and that many here are going way overboard. Your comments are very true.

Then again, when our very own Mike Reiss publishes an article titled "Patriots should be held accountable" it's going to get spirits down. I think that's where some people are. My guess is that those aren't the ones you're speaking of, however.

The true fair weather fans are disgusting.

The only way to fairly check the balls would be to check all the balls from both teams at the same time before and after the game. If they only checked the Patriots footballs then it's shoddy investigating.

This is heavily flawed too tho. Since the colts did the complaining, they could of properly fixed their balls, then complained, and having a compare and contrast would of led to a improper finding.

This is why I won't accept this story without actual living proof from a human being or camera that this happened and even then I want proof that the pats directed this action.

I am so annoyed by this that I almost want us to become the bad guys. We go out of our way to bring in high character players, do good in the community(vince literally rescued a woman the other day), and never talk crap in the media. But we are somehow the scum of the league. Lower than Pitt, Ravens, Bengals, etc. If this continues next year, we should give the league a REAL reason to hate us. Maybe sign Suh and encourage his style of play etc.

Take it up with Kraft. His horrendous handling of cameragate has spawned this.
Take it up with Belichick. A simple phone call could have kept cameragate from ever happening in the first place.

The team's (non-player) leaders let down the team in 2007, and the chickens have been coming home to roost ever since.

7.2% is still too great without a defect. We all know they leak but that's too much over a few hours for a sealed bladder. One or two is fine but not 11
There's no leak in the ball; no air is escaping. Air is made up of a bunch of molecules wizzing around. The speed of these molecules is directly proportional to temperature meaning the molecules are going to be moving around faster with increased temperature. This increased speed of the molecules means that the molecules are hitting the leather of the football with greater force and more often resulting in higher pressure. No air is escaping.

I am so annoyed by this that I almost want us to become the bad guys. We go out of our way to bring in high character players, do good in the community(vince literally rescued a woman the other day), and never talk crap in the media. But we are somehow the scum of the league. Lower than Pitt, Ravens, Bengals, etc. If this continues next year, we should give the league a REAL reason to hate us. Maybe sign Suh and encourage his style of play etc.

I agree. This is our official heel turn, and i f*cking love it. Now we know how Hulk Hogan felt

hulk-hogan-and-buddies-hulk-hogan-gifs.gif

Regardless of how much Goodell hates us, I guarantee you that he didn't want this to be a story. So he probably hates that Kravitz guy in Indy just as much as we do.

Lying in bed i couldn't help but think. All you have to do is put balls in either a sauna or hot room for a while. Pump them up in there right before they check balls to minimum. That's not injecting hot air. just got room.

Kraft should be on the phone right now with Goodell getting the skinny. I don't care if he's sleeping or not.
He should be telling him he has til 10am ET tomorrow to schedule a press conference exonerating the Patriots of any wrongdoing and awarding them the Colts first-round pick (plus the Jets for the tampering thing) or he's going to go scorched earth on the commissioners office and pull out of the Super Bowl, choosing instead to line up a panel of all pro QBs explaining the various ways in which they "prepare their balls" for top performance in his NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE. This is to be followed by Coach Belichicks lecture on the various ways ALL NFL coaches "creatively" use the rule book to their advantage, as well as a detailed analysis of steroid use and concussion research in the NFL.

I have trouble wrapping my head around the damnation from information with no context.

This would be like the Patriots releasing Julian Edelman immediately after he was arrested.

If I get this gay-falkes thing right:

Temp at pumping 25c. Temp at measure point 7c.

Ratio of temps in kelvin is
(273+7)/(273+25) equals 94%.

So absolute pressure goes from (14.7+12.5) which is 27.2 to 25.6.

25.6-14.7 is 10.9 psi.

So the ball would measure 10.9 psi.

Winner!

Dr. Jeff ‏@drjefflo 2m2 minutes ago
FACT: During the #AFCChampionship game in Foxboro, MA the barometric pressure FELL from 29.8 to 29.56 inches of mercury. #DeflateGate

0.24 inches of mercury translates to .12 psi - negligible.

In any event pressure going down does not help us .... ambient air pressure going lower outside the ball after it is inflated means a higher relative pressure from inside the ball.

I hope 'Dr Jeff' isn't someone credentialed in something remotely scientific.

He should be telling him he has til 10am ET tomorrow to schedule a press conference exonerating the Patriots of any wrongdoing and awarding them the Colts first-round pick (plus the Jets for the tampering thing) or he's going to go scorched earth on the commissioners office and pull out of the Super Bowl, choosing instead to line up a panel of all pro QBs explaining the various ways in which they "prepare their balls" for top performance in his NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE. This is to be followed by Coach Belichicks lecture on the various ways ALL NFL coaches "creatively" use the rule book to their advantage, as well as a detailed analysis of steroid use and concussion research in the NFL.
That would be too good.
Especially how the QBs manipulate the footballs and the refs are too lazy to check them or care.

There's no leak in the ball; no air is escaping. Air is made up of a bunch of molecules wizzing around. The speed of these molecules is directly proportional to temperature meaning the molecules are going to be moving around faster with increased temperature. This increased speed of the molecules means that the molecules are hitting the leather of the football with greater force and more often resulting in higher pressure. No air is escaping.
That's for that 4th grade physics lesson but anyone who has stored a ball for a long time knows, they leak some air. Put a ball down and leave it for a year in your shed and tell me it doesn't leak. My point was, that the rate would be too fast without major defect (assuming measured at the same temp).

If only Gronk had caught 11 touchdown passes, then we could have ran with that tweet....

:D

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back