PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive tackle

DE: Chandler, Kelly
DT: Wilfork
ROLB: Hightower
ILB: Spikes/Mayo
LOLB: Collins

You are free to believe that it is better to start Collins than Ninkovich. Try a poll. You'll find little support. More importantly, you'll find little agreement from the coaching staff.

DE: Chandler, Kelly
DT: Wilfork
ROLB: Hightower
ILB: Spikes/Mayo
LOLB: Collins

Draft Cunningham over Dunlap.

Draft Ras-I Dowling 33 overall.

Tavon Wilson in the 2nd round.

etc.

For every draft choice that misses there is an UDFA that makes it. Regardless how it occurs we are fans of a good team and BB is the architect.

etc.

This cannot be a real post. This is an homage to other posts, surely. It is a callback to awful opinions of yore. This can not honestly be an attempt at discourse.

Worst post ever.

Mr Nathan Drake vs. Hercules Rockefeller...hmmmmm...sounds like a badminton match...

crumpets and tea anyone???...

Mr Nathan Drake vs. Hercules Rockefeller...hmmmmm...sounds like a badminton match...

I've been known to use Dartanyan Cousteau as a pen name. I suggest you consider Hieronymus Jocular as a prospective alias.

Cunningham, Francis waived/injured. IR if they clear, injury settlement possible.

per Twitter Underhill, Howe - see above

Too many IRs this year.

Cunningham pick was such a waste. Dunlap outperformed him in all facets in Florida and was clearly the better player. It was a shock that BB picked Cunningham over Dunlap in the 2nd round. We knew it was a mistake then even if the hardcore BB supporters didn't want to believe it, and has been confirmed. I didn't get it then, and I don't get it now -- why was this guy picked over Dunlap? Such a wasted opportunity.

etc.

Passed over Tom Brady 5 times.

It's funny how when Belichick takes a guy much higher than "experts" project and it doesn't work out it was a "bad pick" and people complain. When he takes someone right around where "experts" project and it doesn't work out it's a "bad pick"

So, every pick that doesn't work out is a "bad pick". Apparently, the expectation is for a 100% hit rate. Or maybe, just maybe, it's possible that the draft yields very few successful picks for any team.

Also, where's the complaining about Belichick taking "reaches" like Sebastian Vollmer? Does that term only work for guys who don't pan out? Where are the complaints about taking injury prone guys like Rob Gronkowski (more of an injury history in college than Dowling)?

Either be consistent and pan all of his "reaches" and injury prone picks or stop acting as if the strategy is a poor one. Belichick is a a bit of a gambler on draft day, taking high ceiling guys - often with flags or often guys undervalued (whether rightly or wrongly) by "experts". Sometimes he hits, and often he doesn't. Unlike most other GM's though, he is willing to cut bait with his misses and play the 53 best players. Do you really think other teams hit on their draft picks at a much higher rate? Or could it be that other teams just hang on to their bad picks for a few extra years?

Lastly, when the Pats took Cunningham "over Dunlap", they ran a 3-4 and Dunlap would have flopped in a 3-4 scheme just like Cunningham flopped in the 4-3 that the team moved to in 2011. If you want to bash Belichick for Cunningham, perhaps you should think about it a bit and criticize the move to the 4-3 because Cunningham looked solid (not spectacular) as a rookie 3-4 OLB. He's badly miscast as a DE in Belichick's 4-3 and injuries haven't helped his development.

Marvin Austin (NYG) & Jaye Howard (SEA) are 2 DTs off the top of my head on whom
I would place a claim.

Scrolling down this page,
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000233304/article/roster-cuts-for-all-32-nfl-teams,
I also see the names of Torell Troup, Sione Fua, Kheeston Randall, Antonio Dixon,
Clinton McDonald & Gary Gibson, plus 1st-years Vaughn Meatoga, Cody Larsen,
DaJohn Harris & Domonique Hamilton.
Even Bill should be able to find 2 guys from this list who are better than Vellano.

I vast prefer croquet with my crumpets.

And Homer Simpson would beat up Steve McQueen in a fight.

I've been known to use Dartanyan Cousteau as a pen name. I suggest you consider Hieronymus Jocular as a prospective alias.

You two are freaking characters.... :cool:

I beleive that Kelly will be a huge improvement at DT over what we had last year. What I am worried about is the depth, of which there very little. I really think that we must add some depth there, though I am not sure that a trade is what we will do now that Kelly has shown some good things in the pre season.

I beleive that Kelly will be a huge improvement at DT over what we had last year. What I am worried about is the depth, of which there very little. I really think that we must add some depth there, though I am not sure that a trade is what we will do now that Kelly has shown some good things in the pre season.

I think many, if not all of us agree with your assessment, the concern I have is what is behind them, Vince Wilfork is to the defense what Tom Brady is to the offense, yet we have no viable backup for him, that seems like playing with fire if you ask me. Kelly and Vellano are both optimal when playing the 3tech, I had originally thought that over the last year we were grooming Fortson to play the backup 1tech, which is why we were comfortable releasing Love and Deaderick, now that Fortson is gone to I am questioning what exactly it is we’ve been doing besides spinning the tires.

I’m not sure if anyone has said it yet but either way.
:welcome:​

Some names I wouldn’t mind us taking a look at either for the roster or the practice squad, my primary target would be Jaye Howard who was cut lose by the Seahawks in what I saw as a surprising cut.

• Jaye Howard
• Terrence Stephens
• John Drew
• Marcus Fortson
• Torell Troup
• Brian Sanford
• Alameda Ta'amu
• Kheeston Randall
• Marvin Austin
• Clinton McDonald
• Mike Purcell
• Ron Brace

Some names I wouldn’t mind us taking a look at either for the roster or the practice squad, my primary target would be Jaye Howard who was cut lose by the Seahawks in what I saw as a surprising cut.

• Jaye Howard
• Terrence Stephens
• John Drew
• Marcus Fortson
• Torell Troup
• Brian Sanford
• Alameda Ta'amu
• Kheeston Randall
• Marvin Austin
• Clinton McDonald
• Mike Purcell
• Ron Brace

Have to wonder why the Seahawks released Howard and then traded for a guy who has spent two years on IR. Doesn't sound that promising.

This is interesting from a Seahawk forum:

The rap on Howard was consistency of effort. If the 'Hawks let Howard walk, and grab another DT, I think that sends a pretty strong message that they are not satisfied with his overall impact. It's an even stronger message given that Dan Quinn, his college coach, is Seattle's DC and in a really, really, good position to know a lot about Howard. Things like technique, endurance, understanding of the game can be coached up by our excellent coaching staff. The motor and desire to bring it every play, now that's a whole different matter. Coaching can only go so far in fixing that.
All that said, I think Howard still has PS eligibility and will stick there, if Jacksonville doesn't snag him. Jacksonville may well pass, for the same reasons; Gus Bradley is going to have a lot of Pete Carroll elements to his program, and if Howard can't make it here over effort issues, Bradley probably wouldn't want him there. In Kearly's DVR review of one game he even commented on Howard's inconsistent effort. (Kearly, if I am misquoting you, please correct me)

I think Seattle is concluding that Howard's upside is limited and they'd rather move on to someone with more upside and more DRIVE to get there. So we'll see about this D'Anthony guy or whatever his name is.

Seahawks.NET - The Voice of the 12th Man! ? View topic - Jaye Howard cut

Please note that I'm making no comment myself on Howard as I've not seen anywhere near enough.

You are free to believe that it is better to start Collins than Ninkovich. Try a poll. You'll find little support. More importantly, you'll find little agreement from the coaching staff.

In that scenario, Collins would be the better player as the LOLB. Ninkovich can't play in space, Collins can. We don't even know if Ninkovich can even rush the passer standing up. In a 4 man front, I full expect Ninkovich to be the starter.

Ninkovich is Mark Anderson. He's okay as the 4th best player on a DL, and he's a good situational pass rusher, but he should NOT be starting in a best case scenario. Ninkovich is a massive liability against the run. I remember the Texans playoff game started with Foster ripping off a couple big runs off tackle, and then the Texans inexplicably decided to change course and just run it up the middle right into Wilfork for the rest of the game.

I think one of those runs was against Chandler (ankle) but throughout the entire season teams ran at Ninkovich and had a lot of success.

Marvin Austin (NYG) & Jaye Howard (SEA) are 2 DTs off the top of my head on whom
I would place a claim.

Scrolling down this page,
Player cuts for all 32 NFL teams before 53-man roster deadline - NFL.com,
I also see the names of Torell Troup, Sione Fua, Kheeston Randall, Antonio Dixon,
Clinton McDonald & Gary Gibson, plus 1st-years Vaughn Meatoga, Cody Larsen,
DaJohn Harris & Domonique Hamilton.
Even Bill should be able to find 2 guys from this list who are better than Vellano.

BB can and might put in those 2 claims, but it is highly unlikely that they will drop to him. He might not even bother, if two or three teams in better positions do so as well.

I was sincerely hoping for a surplus TE versus a surplus DT trade with the Giants; but it was apparently ruined by the ill health of Ballard and Fells.

Francis was a good choice.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back