PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 3 pre draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realized that much.

To see if Agahlor has improved that means Tyquan may not be on the field. How do you throw TDs to Tyquan tearing up defenses and tell if Agahlor is good this year?

I say cut the losses now. Surely no team is desperate enough to trade for Jagahlor.

Nelson Agholor's only sin is that he signed a $10 million guaranteed contract. That was not his fault. If he's the 4th option on the field at WR including Meyers in the slot, then he could deliver 50 receptions for 600 yards this year.

Thornton adds the dimension of speed that defenses will have to account for while concentrating on Bourne as the #1. With Henry and Smith at TE, James White in the backfield, and Meyers in the slot, Mac Jones will have lots of familiar targets.

We know the Patriots have two superb running backs. The biggest unknown on offense is who the hell is coaching this group and calling the plays.

I mean we don't honestly know how Tyquan or any of these guys will pan out its tough to justify taking him over more accomplished college WRs. Speed is electric but everything else is a project. It doesn't justify the pick if he's better than Harry because lets face it, thats such a low bar. Strange will be fine. It was a reach but guards are probably the safest position to pick in the draft. Bust rate is fairly low compared to the rest of the positions.

It would be a massive upset if Matt Azaria isn't a Patriot by the end of the 4th round. You know Bill is going to do it...can't help himself.

I mean we don't honestly know how Tyquan or any of these guys will pan out its tough to justify taking him over more accomplished college WRs. Speed is electric but everything else is a project. It doesn't justify the pick if he's better than Harry because lets face it, thats such a low bar. Strange will be fine. It was a reach but guards are probably the safest position to pick in the draft. Bust rate is fairly low compared to the rest of the positions.

It would be a massive upset if Matt Azaria isn't a Patriot by the end of the 4th round. You know Bill is going to do it...can't help himself.
Why SHOULD he help himself ? Gost, Slater : truth is our late round STs hit at a higher clip than most…

Would love an Offensive Swing Tackle to back up our fragile combo at Tackle.
I think you should always draft at least one day 3 OL. Especially when they have extra day 3 picks.
OL is probably the one position where the most good day 3 players develop.

Nelson Agholor's only sin is that he signed a $10 million guaranteed contract. That was not his fault. If he's the 4th option on the field at WR including Meyers in the slot, then he could deliver 50 receptions for 600 yards this year.

Thornton adds the dimension of speed that defenses will have to account for while concentrating on Bourne as the #1. With Henry and Smith at TE, James White in the backfield, and Meyers in the slot, Mac Jones will have lots of familiar targets.

We know the Patriots have two superb running backs. The biggest unknown on offense is who the hell is coaching this group and calling the plays.
Yep...and throw in Parker to the mix.

Some of my targets today:
OT/OG Jamaree Salyer (Georgia) - He kept Aidan Hutchinson out of his QBs zip code in the college semi-final. But underwhelmed at the Senior Bowl.

WR Calvin Austin (Memphis) - He's tiny. But he does a spot on Julian Edelman impression. Fantastic punt returner if something happens to Marcus Jones.

P Matt Araiza (San Diego St) - Field flipper extraordinaire. But needs to work on his touch and directionality. Can also kick field goals.

P Jake Camarda (Georgia) - Almost the leg strength of Araiza. But with better touch and control. Like Araiza, can kick field goals.

WR Kyle Phillips (UCLA) - A very good slot WR. Bigger than Austin but not as fast.

LB Damone Clark (LSU) - He's going to need a redshirt year. And it's to recover from a spinal fusion (herniated disc found at the combine). So he's a question mark. But before that was discovered he was a solid Rd 2 prospect.

WR Khalil Shakir (Boise St)- Another slot. 6', raw, but fast. Not nearly as agile as Austin.

ILB Darrian Beavers (Cincinnati)- How the hell is this guy still available?

UDFAs I'd be contacting just after the 7th round ends:
IOL Andrew Vastardis (Michigan), WR Michael Young (Cincinnati), TE Luke Schoonmaker (Michigan), RB/WR/ST Calvin Turner (Hawaii),

Minus Harry that is a pretty good WR room. I'm not sure another WR will be drafted... but yes to an UDFA.

1651329893492.png

2 NT/DT , Ellis, McCall, Farrell , 1-2 OL, 1-2 CB, LB ADam Anderson(all red flags

I felt LB wouldn't be taken in the 1st 3 rounds due to several young, fast LB's already on the roster. But today might be the day they draft one.
Stupid Panthers stole Chenal.

I would love to see an enormous run stuffing defensive tackle. I was hoping they would get mathis from Alabama but they just missed out on him. I am not sure if there are any of these type of defensive tackles left in the draft. The patriots obviously had trouble stopping the run last year and a huge defensive tackle could make a big difference

Still some good players left , we should be able to grab a 3 or 4 for sure.

Nah. Actually, BB doesn’t traditionally seem too fond of 5th round picks. It’s his least active draft round BY FAR. Maybe due to value relative to cost/chances of making the team??..Not too sure why..?

And yet, among day 3 picks, it's also his most successful round in the last decade.

I’d trade 121 and 127 to move up for Beavers as soon as it starts. Would love to have him on this team.

Minus Harry that is a pretty good WR room. I'm not sure another WR will be drafted... but yes to an UDFA.

View attachment 42837
Only if Parker stays healthy and if Thornton plays well. I'm not worried about Bourne and Meyers they're probably our most consistent WR

Thornton had 62 catches for 948 yards and 10 TDs (with a weak qb) last year and 143/2242/19 for his career
Pickens was 5/107/0 and 90/1346/4
Pierce 52/884/8 and 106/1851/13
Moore was 95/1292/10 and 171/2482/16 against low level competition
Who are you referring to that was more “accomplished”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes