PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 3 pre draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt LB wouldn't be taken in the 1st 3 rounds due to several young, fast LB's already on the roster. But today might be the day they draft one.

They are considering McGrone to be a draft pick since he didn't play last year. however, the guy has had 2 ACL surgeries. Peppers at LB makes sense since you already have DMAC, Dugger, and Phillips at S.

Last edited:
I wish I knew who were the top rated DT/NT remaining. I hope they draft one or a DE although I think Flowers will be signed.

I felt LB wouldn't be taken in the 1st 3 rounds due to several young, fast LB's already on the roster. But today might be the day they draft one.
I felt they wouldn't draft lb and my hunch turned out to be true. Harris is on last contract year . So don't discount running back. Spiller it could be .

Wynn is also on last year . So an developmental OT. Daniel here

Though I like Calvin Austin / bo Melton/Romeo doubs doubt if they will get a wr in round 4 as we have too many wrs in stable now . Slade bolden as UFA is the only one I see. Doubs may come in if they get a 4th rounder as part of Harry package.

Bill loves ST, so Matt araiza as last pick of 4th round shouldn't surprise us.

Agholor could also get traded to raiders for their sixth round pick while we we eat 3 million of his cap. Thornton and agholor are similar , so no point taking away reps from Thornton .

Today could be a busy day for additional trades - agholor, Harry, stidham.

Since they are taking players based on measurables, versatality and athleticism, Tariq woolen, Matt araiza , zyon McCollum, Daniel strike as possibilities to me.

Last edited:
My targets today

Darrian Beavers LB Cincinnati. Does it all.#1
Joshua Williams CB Fayettville div 2
Zyon McCollum CB Houston
Kevin Austin jr Wr Notre Dame
Kyle Phillips Wr Ucla
Josh Johnson Wr Tulsa
Matt Waletzko North Dakota
Jack Sanborn LB Wisconsin
Nephi Swell LB Utah
Micah McFadden LB Indiana
Marquan McCall DL Kenttucky
ZaQuandre White RB North Carolina

I want as many shots at defense as possible, with the possible addition of another OL. They need major help on the defensive side of the ball, and while I know that they are in the part of the draft where hitting on a stud is far less likely, if they devote all their draft resources at this point to defense, one or two of them are bound to hit.

I felt they wouldn't draft lb and my hunch turned out to be true. Harris is on last contract year . So don't discount running back. Spiller it could be .
Agree

Wynn is also on last year . So an developmental OT. Daniel here
Agree

Though I like Calvin Austin / bo Melton/Romeo doubs doubt if they will get a wr in round 4 as we have too many wrs in stable now . Slade bolden as UFA is the only one I see. Doubs may come in if they get a 4th rounder as part of Harry package.
Agree

Bill loves ST, so Matt araiza as last pick of 4th round shouldn't surprise us.

Agholor could also get traded to raiders for their sixth round pick while we we eat 3 million of his cap. Thornton and agholor are similar , so no point taking away reps from Thornton .
Agree

Today could be a busy day for additional trades - agholor, Harry, stidham

Fairly sure this forum would explode if we took a back-up QB in the 4th (assuming that's where Howell goes).
It would, but I think we've seen enough of the limitations of Stidham and Brian Hoyer. I love Hoyer as a locker room presence and veteran in the film room, but it may be time for him to become a coach and let someone else serve as the stand-in if needed.

Howell has lots of limitations but is one tough guy with the ball in his hands, and from everyone at Carolina I know who knows him, he's an incredibly confident and inspiring teammate. He's smart and has a feel for the game that made a number of NFL players from UNC better. I know Pats Nation will love this guy if he turns up in Foxboro - as a back-up.

If Howell were to come in with the intention of creating a QB controversy, they should pass. He might. These are all enormously competitive guys.

There are no jokes.

Starting guard who had greater upside than Karras at 1/3 the cost.

Burner on the outside

Sticky man cover guy and
Electric PR/KR

Anyone can criticize draft position but the needs were undeniable.

Next:
More sticky cover guys
OT
Speedy LBs
I'd like a run stopping load for the middle of the DL.

My targets today

Darrian Beavers LB Cincinnati. Does it all.#1
Joshua Williams CB Fayettville div 2
Zyon McCollum CB Houston
Kevin Austin jr Wr Notre Dame
Kyle Phillips Wr Ucla
Josh Johnson Wr Tulsa
Matt Waletzko North Dakota
Jack Sanborn LB Wisconsin
Nephi Swell LB Utah
Micah McFadden LB Indiana
Marquan McCall DL Kenttucky
ZaQuandre White RB North Carolina

I like all of them, edit: except Kevin Austin, but would add Neil Farrell, Tre Turner, Jalyn Armour Davis, Perrion Winfrey, Calvin Austin

I'd like them to package the 7th and a 6th round pick to try to move up to the 5th...I have no idea about the value scale though.

Some good players still available. Especially some height weight speed corners in Woolen, McCollum and Armour-Davis. Would like us to take a shot at developing one of those.

We've already taken Strange obviously but there are some really good interior lineman still available - Salyer, Tom, Fortner - as well as some interesting OT prospects in Diesch, Faalele and Waletzko.

Still some good receivers too although don't see us taking another with 5 roster locks already - Kyle Phillips or Khalil Shakir could be our slot guy. Calvin Austin could be a gadget type to give us some extra speed.

Finally, although I don't think they fit our scheme, Kingsley Enagbare and Perrion Winfrey seem huge values at this point. And we should always be on the look out for an RB - Zamir White, Dameon Pierce or Kyren Williams are interesting.

Should also keep an eye on Christopher Allen from Alabama and a few of the Nose Tackle prospects.

Most likely a 4th gets turned into a 5th+6th and 2 6ths are turned into a 5th. BB likes the 5th.
Nah. Actually, BB doesn’t traditionally seem too fond of 5th round picks. It’s his least active draft round BY FAR. Maybe due to value relative to cost/chances of making the team??..Not too sure why..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes