PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Andrews about to Sign Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OL has been completely made over. After this season, we will have all youngsters.
I agree that Belichick has devoted himself to rebuilding the entire Offense starting with the OTs a few years ago when he drafted Solder and found a gem in in Cannon, and then added reasonably high draft picks to the IOL. He has added depth to the tackles, and started to improve the skill positions recently. Fleming is turning out to be a pretty good RT, and can play Guard and move the DL in the run power game, while Shaq is an awesome pulling Guard.

The line will improve with experience; and Shaq becomes a better pass blocker.

As was the case last year, Karras is the backup center.
Now the Pats may also be considering the C/G Colvin?, they picked up from Miami who started several games for their star Center when he was injured.

edit: Jamil Douglas, not Colvin.

You are wrong on all counts.

No I did not backpedal and did not lie.

You mean the two sacks he gave up. Given the critical nature of sacks and how they stop drives, I think that constitutes a bad game. What would make it a bad game for you? Giving up 4 sacks? 2 is ok?

And it wasn't just the sacks. He gave up pressures as well and was invisible in the run game.

You said, provide some facts, I did. You take exception that the article is from Ben Volin, even though Volin has no bone to pick with Andrews and I don't know why you think his analysis or breakdown would be biased. And infact I just pulled up the game and watched the two sacks he mentioned again and Andrews got badly beaten.

No it doesn't. He specifically pointed out Andrews. I'll post it again since you missed it.

"By lining up the two players next to each other, the Texans were able to get a 1-on-1 matchup for Mercilus on center David Andrews, and Mercilus beat him badly for two sacks with his power and speed. "

Are you kidding me. Are O-Line blew it badly. Brady was pressured all night. We had only 50 yards on the ground. He was forced into errant throws, giving up 2 ints. He was sacked multiple times. And we finally pulled ahead by throwing up some low percentage long balls that were pulled down and how well the Defense played for us. O-Line sucked badly. They were completely outmatched.

Here's some articles to refresh your memory

NFL playoffs: Tom Brady survives a beating as Patriots eventually rout Texans

And don't take my word for it. Here's the transcript from BB and TB themselves.

New England Patriots Postgame Transcripts 1/14

BB "They did a good job. Defensively they gave us a lot of problems. We had six first-downs in the first half. We threw up a couple of prayers and came down with them, made a couple of good catches with Chris [Hogan] and Julian [Edelman]. We just didn't have any consistency at all offensively, couldn't run it or throw it very well."

And here's Brady specifically saying it was bad execution in defending against pressure up the middle. Obviously he's not going to name Andrews and throw him under the bus, but this is as close as it gets.

Q: Were there some things, particularly the pressure up the middle from Whitney Mercilus, that maybe you didn't anticipate?

TB: Yeah, they tried that against us last year and had a little success, so I think we were prepared for it. We just didn't do a great job executing. The turnovers obviously hurt us quite a bit, so we've got to try to tighten those things up this week.

Q: What are you taking away from the mistakes made tonight?

TB: I think we've just got to learn from it. I think this team did a great job playing against us. They had some good scheme stuff that worked. They have good rushers and they had some good guys in coverage, so they had a pretty good scheme. It was a lot of things, and then when you add our poor execution on top of that, then you add our turnovers on top of that, it doesn't feel great because we worked pretty hard to play a lot better than we played. I give them a lot of credit, but we're going to have to play better on offense.

BB and TB don't sound like our O-Line was rocking it against Houston. If you don't like Volin's breakdown or Breech and CBS Sports, in the articles I posted, maybe you'll trust BB and TB that our O-Line played badly, leading to a non-existent run game, and sputtering passing game due to Brady constantly being under pressure.

Criticising the Pats Oline when it was playing a rookie LG and sophs at C and RG is notable; but not predictive of future performance. Don't forget Houston had the #1 Defense in the NFL.

The Pats team went 14-2 and won SB LI. It will get better, but how bad could they be?

Now the Pats may also be considering the C/G Colvin?, they picked up from Miami who started several games for their star Center when he was injured.

Hate to sound stupid, but who is C/G Colvin?? Am I having another brain fart??

All teams have a complement of excellent players, and a complement of players unlikely to amount to much. Superior teams have far more players in the middle like Andrews - solid, conscientious, hardworking, always improving in one way or another.

I don't think 'superior team's necessarily do. I do think it's a superior strategy, but there are plenty of great teams that live and die by talent. When you compare the Pats with almost every team in the league, almost every team is coached and ran by cavemen.

Hate to sound stupid, but who is C/G Colvin?? Am I having another brain fart??
My apologies. I was refering to Jamil Douglas 6-4, 308, from AZ State with 3 years of experience while with Miami; and who had 2-3 starts at C, filling in for their injured star Center. My memory is just not as good as before.

Sure. Here's facts.

Patriots’ flaws were exposed - The Boston Globe

"The biggest wrinkle the Texans showed was using their outside pass rushers on the inside. Jadeveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus moved all over the formation, often lining up in a 2-point stance, but their biggest damage came when both were lined up across from interior offensive linemen.

By lining up the two players next to each other, the Texans were able to get a 1-on-1 matchup for Mercilus on center David Andrews, and Mercilus beat him badly for two sacks with his power and speed. The Texans often brought their defenders through the same gaps, like when linebacker Brian Cushing blitzed right behind Clowney and pressured Tom Brady into a modest 4-yard completion to Martellus Bennett. Overall, the Patriots’ interior offensive line of Andrews, Joe Thuney, and Shaq Mason combined to allow four pressures, two hits, two sacks, and a run stuff."

I'm so, so, SO ****ing tired of seeing "The Patriots flaws were exposed" in a game they won by 18 points, scored 34, held the other to 16, in a game that was never in doubt.

Please stop and get some perspective. The "Patriots have to win every game 56-0" crowd has been long and strong for a decade-plus. I, for one, am tired of it.

He's literally starting to turn into..nevermind..HAS turned into a fanboy/bromancer regarding JG and MB. It's actually getting embarrassing on a professional level.

Also, kudos to Andrews. Proves he's MILES away from Butler regarding his view of contract and self worth. Also, the great and enviable position he is in.

I don't understand the need to piss on Butler. It's not just you, I've seen several others doing it for some reason also. The guy is incredibly underpaid, has never uttered a word in public about it, has been the consummate good soldier, all while seeing his team back up a Brinks truck to Stephon Gilmore house.

Can anyone please tell me what Butler has done to deserve the catcalls?

I don't understand the need to piss on Butler. It's not just you, I've seen several others doing it for some reason also. The guy is incredibly underpaid, has never uttered a word in public about it, has been the consummate good soldier, all while seeing his team back up a Brinks truck to Stephon Gilmore house.

Butler has been nothing short of fantastic. Imagine the type of production & effort that guy has put forward & how much the team benefits from it at a bargain.

I figure this'll be his last year in NE, though, since so many dollars are already going to the secondary. But, you are correct : Butler has not been *****ing to the media, has reported to the team already this offseason, and plays hard. There is much to like.

I'm so, so, SO ****ing tired of seeing "The Patriots flaws were exposed" in a game they won by 18 points, scored 34, held the other to 16, in a game that was never in doubt.

Please stop and get some perspective. The "Patriots have to win every game 56-0" crowd has been long and strong for a decade-plus. I, for one, am tired of it.

I guess you should tell that to BB and TB. Since I only quoted them.

If Bill starts giving a player the cold shoulder then there is a legit reason, and any player who shoots themselves out of town in a place such as NE, yeah they get the catcalls.

I applaud those such as Andrews, White etc and deride the Collins' etc. If money is more important than titles, then screw you. BB feels the same way.

But what about Mangold? :confused:

:D
Reiss reports that Mangold was still receiving physical therapy treatment on his foot/ankle as of several weeks ago, and will likely enjoy the fact that he doesn't have to go through the grind of TC.

He said that he's almost certainly looking for starting center money, and still weighing his options while hoping to take advantage of another team's preseason injury situation.

If Bill starts giving a player the cold shoulder then there is a legit reason, and any player who shoots themselves out of town in a place such as NE, yeah they get the catcalls.

I applaud those such as Andrews, White etc and deride the Collins' etc. If money is more important than titles, then screw you. BB feels the same way.

Bizarre post. You have zero evidence that Butler has misbehaved at all. He was one day late in the spring of 2015 because his flight the day before was cancelled due to weather He called the team immediately and rented a car to drive up the east coast. He was punished for that.

You know what he did after that?

He kept his head down, his mouth shut and was the top CB on the team for the next two seasons. Have you heard a peep out of him? Has anyone had to worry about Malcolm Butler? He has merely been one of the best and most consistent CBs in the NFL without all the drama/diva act of most at that position.

Odd choice you have of targets. There are many better choices of overrated such as 2nd round pick Jordan Richards.

But thanks for your fascinating insight on how Malcolm Butler has been what was wrong with the New England Patriots the past 3 years.:rolleyes:

:D Thanks for making **** up!

Pats' secondary coach: Butler 'is never going to give up the fight'

Malcolm Butler Believes Patriots’ New Cornerback Duo Could Be NFL’s Best

Yeah, this "trouble maker" certainly is shooting his way out of town! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Reiss reports that Mangold was still receiving physical therapy treatment on his foot/ankle as of several weeks ago, and will likely enjoy the fact that he doesn't have to go through the grind of TC.

He said that he's almost certainly looking for starting center money, and still weighing his options while hoping to take advantage of another team's preseason injury situation.
I know, Supa. I was just doing my best Felger impersonation for all of the Mangold proponents on the board. Tee hee:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft