David Andrews ‘Trending’ Toward Playing In 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
From Reiss’ column published Sunday: Patriots starting center David Andrews had expressed optimism about returning to play in 2020 after missing last season because of blood clots in his lungs, and I’m told he continues to receive positive medical reports and feels like he is in excellent condition physically.
When I caught up with Andrews in January, he noted he had some important tests in late February. My understanding is the plan is to continue taking a cautious approach — there is no reason to rush things now — but things appear to be trending in the direction Andrews wants them to go.
Read more at: NFL Rumors: Patriots’ David Andrews ‘Trending’ Toward Playing In 2020

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but with the (probable) departure of Thuney, I’d be satisfied with an Andrews @ C / Karras @ LG scenario.

Curious to know what posters think Karras will be offered by other teams / how much they think NE would pay for him...

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but with the (probable) departure of Thuney, I’d be satisfied with an Andrews @ C / Karras @ LG scenario...
I'm not sold on Mongo as a starting-caliber LG...having him at Center helps disguise his athletic limitations better than having him at LG would...Having him at RG however might be a different story...What's Shack Mason's dead-cap #, anyway?

I'm not sold on Mongo as a starting-caliber LG...having him at Center helps disguise his athletic limitations better than having him at LG would...Having him at RG however might be a different story...What's Shack Mason's dead-cap #, anyway?
Mason ain’t going anywhere. Let’s just stop that nonsense right now. Dude was playing injured throughout the season. Let him get healthy and we have the best RG in the league again.

Mason ain’t going anywhere. Let’s just stop that nonsense right now. Dude was playing injured throughout the season. Let him get healthy and we have the best RG in the league again.

Let's be serious. You're asking Cap to stop his nonsense analysis of offensive linemen?

Let's be serious. You're asking Cap to stop his nonsense analysis of offensive linemen?
Cap takes a little too much crap around here sometimes when he’s not always wrong. Sometimes he goes full r3tard, though. He went full r3tard there. It happens to all of us.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but with the (probable) departure of Thuney, I’d be satisfied with an Andrews @ C / Karras @ LG scenario.

Curious to know what posters think Karras will be offered by other teams / how much they think NE would pay for him...

The only number I've heard in relation to Ted Karras was upwards to 10m a year, conjecture from Jeff Howe of the Athletic, which seems absurdly high to me.
Report: What Thuney, Karras could earn in free agency

Thuney is as good as gone at 14m a year ... so if David Andrews makes it back, that's a real good thing.

and heres to hoping Cajuste and Froholdt have something decent to offer on the field this year, maybe filling in some of the holes that will be opening up due to free agency.

The only number I've heard in relation to Ted Karras was upwards to 10m a year, conjecture from Jeff Howe of the Athletic, which seems absurdly high to me.
Report: What Thuney, Karras could earn in free agency

Thuney is as good as gone at 14m a year ... so if David Andrews makes it back, that's a real good thing.

and heres to hoping Cajuste and Froholdt have something decent to offer on the field this year, maybe filling in some of the holes that will be opening up due to free agency.
If Karras can get 10M$ per year, I thank him for his solid play and wish him well.

So we need a "Trade Anderewws" thread now, right?

Agree with first two sentences. Last sentence..Martin and Yanda say hi.

Agree with first two sentences. Last sentence..Martin and Yanda say hi.
Yanda is 35. He’s still very good, but not what he used to be. I’m not putting him ahead of Mason if both are healthy. Mason and Martin would be 1A/1B though.

Yanda is 35. He’s still very good, but not what he used to be. I’m not putting him ahead of Mason if both are healthy. Mason and Martin would be 1A/1B though.
Will give you the first if talking 2019. Yanda’s career dwarfs Mason. Yanda is a potential HOFer with 7 All-Pro nods, while Mason hasn’t sniffed one. Comparing Mason to Martin is a ridiculous homer take though. Get real.

Will give you the first if talking 2019. Yanda’s career dwarfs Mason. Yanda is a potential HOFer with 7 All-Pro nods, while Mason hasn’t sniffed one. Comparing Mason to Martin is a ridiculous homer take though. Get real.

I remember similar discussions back when Neal was manning the RG position. He was the best pulling guard in the game, and was about as good a run blocker overall as the league had, yet people minimized his game, and injuries eventually curtailed his career. Mason is just following that same path.

Yes. I’m a huge homer. You got me there. Tell me all the ways Martin is better than Mason when both are healthy. Be very specific.

Is Brady coming back?...maybe it's just me but the QB position is one I consider a cornerstone around which a team builds the rest of the offensive roster. Maybe the game has passed me by and it's all about chest pounding jumpy punks that will never be able to read a defense running around throwing cross field passes and pounding their chests pointing to the sky for some idiotic reason...

It seems like they are faced with some uncertainty at just about every OL position. I think they’ll select a tackle in the first 3 rounds, maybe with a trade down to acquire a second rounder.

LT—hoping for health, consistency, and a rise in play that may come from experience. In his first two seasons (32 games), Wynn has played in 8 games.

LG—obviously, this is a big question mark. It seems as though both Thuney and Karras may be leaving for more money. We have no idea what Froholdt can offer.

C—Andrews is a huge unknown. Can he recover well enough to play football? While we’re all hopeful, they’ll have to prepare accordingly. As mentioned, last year’s starter may be leaving, too.

RG—Mason is coming off an injured, subpar year. We’re all hoping for a return to health, helping to give them a stable right side.

RT—Cannon has plenty of question marks, too. We’ll have to hope that Cajuste can be a swing tackle at worst.

If he can come back and be the player he was before he went out, it's a huge boost. Team leader, guy who communicates the line calls, good run blocker, and veteran presence next to LG, which seems likely to be a young player this year.

interior offensive line should be a bit of a priority for bb.

Ruiz and brederson, both from Michigan can battle with frodholtz for the vacant left guard spot.

Ruiz can also back up Andrews.

Happy to have him back. But they'll probably need to plan for a greater than usual chance of losing him before/during the season.

Andrews was the low-key biggest personnel loss of 2019. Line was never right, even after Wynn returned. I think if Andrews and Devlin were able to play the full season, the Patriots would have been able to secure a bye and a return to the AFCC game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back