PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darrelle Revis: “My body’s breaking down”

Status
Not open for further replies.
My eyes tell me Revis has weight issues that definitely contribute to his recent speed issues. Even back during his Pats season, his thicker body, at least compared to the typical CB, looked like an inevitable issue down the line.
The rubber has met the road. Or should I say ....the blubber has created a load

after 2014? if i remember correctly bill said they didn't even make an offer. the jets were bidding against themselves.

Kraft said they made a very competitive offer and Revis said Patriots offer wasn't in the ballpark. Patriots dropped out when Revis refused their latest offer which the Jets didn't know. The Jets were in fact bidding against themselves.

Rumors were Patriots offer was 12m a year with roughly 30-35m in guaranteed money. Revis wanted 16m a year with a higher guaranteed amount. Speculation at the time, that it would take at least 14m a year from the Patriots to re-sign Revis. In the end Jets gave Revis what he wanted.

I had no problems with Revis when he was a Patriot. He very much helped us win in 2014. He played and acted like a New England Patriot the short time he was here. Revis always wants the max contract and is savvy enough to get it. Revis is a me first type player and there is no home team discount with him. Revis knows the business side of the NFL and has no regrets taking as much as he can get.

He's going to have his mommy play half the snaps.

There were times when he was here BB gave Revis safety help over the top. He realized Revis was losing a step and used him accordingly. BB knows and can see players declining and was smart enough to let him go.

Jets didn't think twice before signing him. He is getting burnt badly this season. May be they thought it was he who caught the game sealing INT in the superbowl. :rolleyes:
I dont know if this means anything

His former agents mentioned he didn't train well in offseason.

He lost all incentive to train hard

He got his super bowl ring and then he got his last monster contract from the Jets that paid him a stupid amount of guaranteed money for a 30 year old CB

He's probably lost that burning passion for the game at this point and the Jets are on the hook for a boat load of money for a declining player that doesn't seem to be as motivated anymore

I'm sure the Jets sucking this year doesn't help his motivation any either

Sucks to suck, Darrelle.

He gets zero sympathy from me after the horseshit comments he made about deflategate when he bolted back to the jesters.

That and his arrogant comments suggesting that he was the reason the Pats won the SB in 2014. His ego is so big, be took offense to a reporter asking how it felt having the division rival Patriots help him get his first SB ring and he replied that he's the one who helped the Patriots get over the top and win it

The guy is a greedy egomaniac, but he was helluva a football player

I'd take him back if he were willing to sign a fair deal. Doubt that'll ever happen though.

I sure am glad I'm not a fan of a team that shelled out a lot of money for Revis.

I was a fan who said "In Bill We Trust" while he let go of "the difference" in 2014. OMG, the sky was falling! We did what? OMG!

LOL... last weekend I went to the local Patriots bar and got a chance to say, again,

"THE BUTLER DID IT! WITH THE PICK! IN THE END ZONE!"

Man, he's good at that part of the field. Is that an important part of the field? :)

Too bad, take your money and get a body transplant

As with most times with players who have been here and are now gone, their time and contributions to the Pats are routinely minimized. Revis WAS a great player, now his is merely a good one. The contract, IIRC, that the Pats offered him was comparable to what the other top CB's were getting (Perterson, etc). The Jets, of course offered more.....a lot more. However ultimately, all things being equal, Revis wanted to be in NYC a lot more than being in Foxboro

Now I've seen several posts that claimed he no longer loved the game or wasn't committed because he's looked slow or fat. Well he might not have been able to get into the best of shape this year, but that was because he was rehabbing a wrist injury, and that kind of injury will affect how much work you can do in the off season. So while there may be reasons why his game has slipped this year, but I doubt they have anything to do with his competitive nature. Age, injuries, etc have likely taken their toll, but I watched a lot of TC practices in 2014 and watching Revis move and anticipate receivers breaks was a beautiful thing to behold. The gap between he and the other CB's was visible even to a casual fan's eye.

It's easy to laugh at the Jets for their overpaying Revis. It is alo easy to forget how badly fans wanted/demanded that the Pats sign him, regardless of the cost. To forget how pissed so many were when the news came down that the Jets, no less, had won the bidding.

Later saner heads prevailed as we found out more about the deal, Woody's tampering, and Revis' desire to get back to NYC. The Pats really didn't have a chance, and Revis skillfully got the Jets to overpay and bid against themselves for a player who didn't want to play anywhere else.

The net result is that Revis is slipping this year even faster than one would have expected as time and injuries are taking their inevitable toll at a position where pure athleticism is at a premium. (unlike QB) We found a lesser, but acceptable replacement in Butler, at about 4% of the cost (so far) And look forward to a busy off season with almost $65MM in cap space. The Jets won't be totally hamstrung by the cap next year as they will likely dump Fitz's $12MM, but they won't be swimming in cap space either. They are an old team that will be without an established QB, and a LOT of holes. In other words, "same old Jets" ;)

You know the old adage: Sometimes the deals you DON'T end up making are the best deals. This looks very much like one of those cases.

I had no problems with Revis when he was a Patriot. He very much helped us win in 2014. He played and acted like a New England Patriot the short time he was here. Revis always wants the max contract and is savvy enough to get it. Revis is a me first type player and there is no home team discount with him. Revis knows the business side of the NFL and has no regrets taking as much as he can get.

Money ain't everything, I mean if your already rich and you could make another 8 million dollars but know that when you take the up front money your mostly likely going to be on a **** team.

Winning in the NFL gets you more endorsement deals and you will always be remembered as one of the greatest who ever played.

Revis' subsequent play notwithstanding, it is still a glaring example of the NFL* 's anti-Pats and pro-Rats bias.

$100,000.00 fine for blatant tampering?

Unreal.
Well, ironically, we win again as the Jets are saddled with at least a couple of years of a ridiculous contract.

Well, ironically, we win again as the Jets are saddled with at least a couple of years of a ridiculous contract.

True, but the Rats should be saddled with the ridiculous contract, AND the Rats should have been severely punished and the Pats compensated.

The fact that Revis failed to live up to his contract has no relevance to the seriousness the offense.

Last edited:
Feel like my body has already broken down at 24, so can't say I feel sorry for him lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back