PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Etling = Cat like quick!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Etling has a good arm but needs to stop throwing off his back foot because relying on that arm alone won't carry him in the pros. Habits like that are hard to break. But it was his first NFL full-speed action vs. a real opponent and what impressed me was his improvement in the second half as he settled down a bit and started adjusting to the game's speed. He's also tough and a real competitor. If he somehow makes it in this league it'll be quite a story.

There is also the total mess that is his footwork. He really is the definition of a project.

Practice Squad at the very best scenario.
Look for 2019 NFL draft for our future QB...

His LSU coaches were a negative 122 on the SEC turnip brain scale...he needs a LOT of reps to correct some very basic mechanical flaws. Nice kid but...CYA
Ya think? I thought he showed enough for them to keep him last night. Hoyer hasn't looked much better. The announcers said he'd be on the practice squad. I didn't think so as some opponent will pick him off just to get intel on the Pats and their plays. The called run was sweet! The kid showed some speed (unlike another certain QB we know)...

He had some good throws too and showed improvement in the second half. The kid's a competitor.

Thought so too. Surprisingly,I enjoyed this game over game three. Was glad Etling played the whole time. He was fun to watch.The whole point is to entertain.

Michael Bishop was exciting to watch too. He also was a seventh rounder. I remember at Bryant College after practice the team walked by the fans to the lockers and I yelled out "You'll get your chance Bishop!" He turned around and flashed a big smile looking in the crowd for who said it.
Here is a nice article about Bishop:
Michael Bishop Is Rooting for Tom Brady, Who Beat Him for the Patriots Starting QB Job

Last edited:
Etling looked like Steve Grogan running the naked reverse on that play last night. Dangerous play, though, just look at how many injuries Grogan had in his career. I really wonder if Etling might be useful as a RB. Being an old time Patriots fan, I remember back to the early years when **** Christy was a solid running back who could also effectively throw the football. If Etling makes the group of 53, still a long shot IMHO, imagine the halfback pass option play if he is in the backfield with TB.

I wonder how Etling would play in the Julian Edelman role. If he's willing to get into dirty areas, with legs like that, he might do alright as a gritty slot receiver while he works on his footwork in practice.

Uhhhh. What are the chances Lauletta might be available? My mother, age 97, has better footwork than Etling.

Little-known fact: the Jets came very close to drafting Etling in the sixth round as a nose tackle.

Assessing the ability of spread offense qb’s to succeed in then go is so hard.

But looking at etling’s tape, there is no doubt that he is greener than the grass at Augusta.

No idea what bb saw in him, but the practice squad is a great place for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye