PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Shaughnessy: Biggest douche bag of them all?

CHB: "How is Parcells a traitor but Brady is OK?"

Because for the Patriots the Tuna was a...

lozah.gif

(I say this in jest, obv... he played a huge part in turning this thing around from 1-15 / 2-14).

As for Shaughnessy, I've enjoyed reading plenty of articles by him since the 80's. You write often enough, there are going to be some really really sh*tty ones that pop up once in a while. Didn't move to Boston until the mid 80's, so I missed out on Ray F.

Biggest DBag for me has to be Jim Gray.

I agree with Shank's last paragraph. Always have. Bill Freakin' Russell is THE MAN.
No doubt he's an all-time player but the NBA had like 5 teams in it when he won 11 championships.

No doubt he's an all-time player but the NBA had like 5 teams in it when he won 11 championships.
Does not diminish his greatness! All teams were good and he absolutely won every time he had to. With relatively few teams the quality was elevated

Last edited:
I am way more ticked at the CHB for this little nugget down at the bottom of this article:

"Give the Dolphins and their fans credit for taking their well-deserved punishment in mature fashion, without protest. We’ve seen no “NFL Tampering Findings In Context” report on the Dolphins website."

This moron is equating a major tampering charge to the imaginary Ideal Gas Law BS? C'mon Dan... you cannot be that stupid. Or maybe you can?

I am pretty sure that Brady was very PO'd at BB for drafting Harry. I am pretty sure he put his foot down before the draft and demanded that the Patriots get him some weapons. When BB passed on a few All-pro WRs and drafted Harry, well it was then that Brady decided to leave the Patriots and he started looking around.

I don’t believe it was any one pick, I think it was the cumulative effect of Belichick being a dour @sshole to play for. I think guys like Brady and Gronk, who sacrificed everything they had physically and mentally felt like they had earned respect and appreciation, and Belichick treated them like they were rookies, and raked them over the coals in film sessions and on the practice field, and they got worn down by it. Then you combine that with having to battle with him for every nickel they got and they felt unappreciated and disrespected and wanted out. I can’t say as I blame them either, I wouldn’t have put up with for a fraction of the time they did. Both are first ballot HOF, as s Belichick, but that kind of relationship never lasts, and it’s amazing they lasted as long as they did.

I don’t believe it was any one pick, I think it was the cumulative effect of Belichick being a dour @sshole to play for. I think guys like Brady and Gronk, who sacrificed everything they had physically and mentally felt like they had earned respect and appreciation, and Belichick treated them like they were rookies, and raked them over the coals in film sessions and on the practice field, and they got worn down by it. Then you combine that with having to battle with him for every nickel they got and they felt unappreciated and disrespected and wanted out. I can’t say as I blame them either, I wouldn’t have put up with for a fraction of the time they did. Both are first ballot HOF, as s Belichick, but that kind of relationship never lasts, and it’s amazing they lasted as long as they did.

Sure that kind of relationship lasts. Look at D McCourty and Slater - they will retire as Pats. In Seymour's HOF speech he praised BB up and down. Any relationship is dependent on both sides. Not sure how you missed that in life.

I am way more ticked at the CHB for this little nugget down at the bottom of this article:

"Give the Dolphins and their fans credit for taking their well-deserved punishment in mature fashion, without protest. We’ve seen no “NFL Tampering Findings In Context” report on the Dolphins website."

This moron is equating a major tampering charge to the imaginary Ideal Gas Law BS? C'mon Dan... you cannot be that stupid. Or maybe you can?
Kind-of like Russia negotiating a trade of an arms dealing murderer with Brittany Grimes and her drop of cannabis oil. Seems fair, right?

Possibly, but I think it was telling that Brady went to a team with an outstanding set of WRs, basically from the worst set of WRs to the best.

If you are a QB, it must really suck to not have any guys that can get open.

Sure that kind of relationship lasts. Look at D McCourty and Slater - they will retire as Pats. In Seymour's HOF speech he praised BB up and down. Any relationship is dependent on both sides. Not sure how you missed that in life.

You might be right, but there's really no situation comparable to Brady. He was there for almost 20 years. Slater has played 14 seasons and McCourty 12. Brady's 14th season (as a starter) would have been 2014, and things still seemed pretty peachy between the two of them that year. Hell, even two years after that, when they came back against the Falcons for #5, they had glowing things to say about each other. We probably won't find out with Slater/McCourty what would happen after 20 years with Bill, but given the real issues between him and Brady didn't really crop up until year 18 or so, it's hard to use anyone else as a counter-example, IMO.

I also think Bill has changed some in the last couple of years. Now speaks of his players more warmly in front of the media. Maybe Brady's departure made a "new" BB. Or maybe BB knows the finish line is in sight. Either way I don't think this new BB would make that "open heart surgery" comment today.

Biggest DBag for me has to be Jim Gray.

Always thought of Jim Gray as a sycophant rather than anything else... the classic "yes man" that powerful people like to surround themselves with...

Always thought of Jim Gray as a sycophant rather than anything else... the classic "yes man" that powerful people like to surround themselves with...
6pa0n7.jpg

By that logic the Green Bay Packers teams of the 60s and Yankees of the 50s are also not worthy of GOAT status.

All that matters was/is they dominated their era. To marginalize that accomplishment and project how they would fair today is nonsensical.

It is tougher - not easier - to win consistently with fewer teams because the talent is so much more concentrated in a smaller League.

Suppose the NBA eliminated the worst 10 teams from last year. The best players from those 10 teams would be disbursed throughout the rest of the League, supplanting the weaker players on those teams. Does Golden State's path to another title get easier or harder?

Last edited:

The Dolphins franchise is sheepishly accepting their punishment because they know they got caught red handed doing much worse. It would be like a bank robber standing before the judge, and the judge gives him a $75 fine for speeding. At that point you don't complain. You say "thank you" and scoot outta there with as low of a profile as you can.

As for the fans.... to say the Dolphins fans (what few of them there are) are taking this "in mature fashion" is just pure ignorance. There has been endless whining from them over the past week or so, it just doesn't get as much attention on Boston sports radio. Here is a sample of their maturity from just 1 page of phinzoneforums:

"WHAT A TOTAL F#@KING JOKE GOODELL & THIS LEAGUE IS!!!"
"(Flores) has no integrity, he was out to sink Ross and the Dolphins and burn the place down on the way out. That says a lot about him IMO. Piece Of ****!"
"STFU you putz..."

and my personal favorite...

"Fuuck the NFL and Goodell... I wonder if as a child Don Shula banged his mom or something?"

By that logic the Green Bay Packers teams of the 60s and Yankees of the 50s are also not worthy of GOAT status.

All that matters was/is they dominated their era. To marginalize that accomplishment and project how they would fair today is nonsensical.
I subscribe to that logic.

Reminds me of a quote I just read on Twitter:

“You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” -Eleanor Roosevelt

Does anyone think of Jim Gray?

Last time I even heard of him he was because he was the pliable mouthpiece of some podcast Brady was on, but I didn't bother listening to it, since I knew what I'd hear, 100 percent milquetoast Brady ball-washing. Pass. Hard Pass.

these people are not fans of the local teams. their one purpose is to gin up controversy. they root for the "story", not the teams...
That's literally his job description.
Reporting stories is their job description, "ginning up" controversy is not, or at least, should not be.

In the great scheme of things, click bait is gonna lead to the downfall of many media outlets. We're all developing thicker skins slowly but surely.

It's a pattern known through the eons of time, the "boy who cried wolf". Sooner or later you just tune that boy out.

Like others have written, I thought Shaugnessey had passed on from the scene, because he's become totally irrelevant to me.

Same for Felger and Mazzturbate.

As far as I'm concerned, they aren't on the same planet as me.

Brady is not some sort of traitor. I will start quietly looking for my next job while still working at my current job and it usually happens when the job situation deteriorates to the point I finally realize its time to move on.

Brady is not some sort of traitor. I will start quietly looking for my next job while still working at my current job and it usually happens when the job situation deteriorates to the point I finally realize its time to move on.
That's not how this situation transpired though....and it's specifically against the rules.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back