PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Dalton Keene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keene's highlight vids show the kid was mostly getting catches out of the Hback and moving TE spots. I don't think the kid is a traditional TE. Him and Vitale are basically fighting for the same role. Vitale isn't a good blocking FB he's a pass catching Hback, and Keene video shows he's also not a traditional TE but more of a HBack and moving TE
Bruschi exclusively played defensive end in college, Edelman played QB... Keene's a TE.

The Hokies offense is what it is.

Here's an article saying what I was saying. Keene and Vitale are likely competing for the same role. The Hback / move TE role. So the true Devlin FB replacement elite run blocker, neither Vitale nor Keene are that, maybe Jacob Johnson can be that. I just don't see how Vitale makes the team if Keene ends up taking a roster spot.

Next Pats Podcast: How Dalton Keene can transform Patriots offense

Here's an article saying what I was saying. Keene and Vitale are likely competing for the same role. The Hback / move TE role. So the true Devlin FB replacement elite run blocker, neither Vitale nor Keene are that, maybe Jacob Johnson can be that. I just don't see how Vitale makes the team if Keene ends up taking a roster spot.

In two decades of B.B. in New England I can only recall one "move" TE's in Aaron Hernandez. He could also play fullback.

It's not like they roster and carry a "move" TE every year, or make an effort to fill that position. Asiasi and Keene are needed at TE, they may even carry three with Lacosse.

Assuming he has a good camp Vitale is your fullback, he can do "Hback" things.

Also they're obviously trying to incorporate more stretch run plays and use zone blocking more, they'll need a faster fullback who can get outside and seal lanes. That's Vitale.

N'Keal Harry, Sanu, Jakobi are some big strong receivers who can block outside. Heck Harry is as strong as many offensive lineman... he is your move TE.

"Move," "HBack" these are just titles. Most teams don't even carry a fullback, they just lump them all in with TE's.

Camp competition will sort it out and I wouldn't worry about a roster crunch, players get hurt in camp, whoever is left of the best will make up the 53.

With the focus likely being on giving Stidham a good run game and the loss of Develin, it's much more likely that Vitale makes the team. Especially given last year's debacle on offense with injuries.

While Vitale is not as elite a blocker as Develin, I wouldn't sell him short. He brings a veteran presence into backfield. And he was used more as a blocker in GB and Clev than he was a move TE. As seen by the 24 TOTAL targets over 4 years.

Why can't we keep both of them? I want as many good players as I can get my hands on...

And please don't tell me that you would rather keep Yake Yohnson ahead of Danny V...

I'm hoping for Keith Byars or Sam Gash style of play from these guys
Byars maybe...he was another versatile FB/HB/TE...Gash was the hammer that we had later with Develin...neither Danny V nor Keene are that type of player...

Last edited:
I'm hoping for Keith Byars or Sam Gash style of play from these guys

Hopeful of your comparisons I checked PFR-

Sam Gash 6 ft. 240
Keith Byers 6'1 245
Dalton Keene 6.041 254

Would it be better if Rambo lost 10 pounds?

6’4” 254 is TE size. George Kittle is 6’4” 250. Austin Hooper is 6’4” 254, Zach Ertz 6’5” 250, Hunter Henry 6’5” 250, Mark Andrew 6’5” 250, Evan Ingram 6’3” 240.

Keene MAY be used in some H-back formations, but I would bet Vitale, if he makes the team, will be the fullback/H-back. Keene has good enough size to be a traditional TE. They did not run a Patriot’s type of offense at Virginia Tech, and they used him differently than I think the Pats will.

Either way, it’ll be interesting to see Keene, Vitale and Asiasi all on the field at the same time. It’ll lessen the predictability of the offense.

[duplicate]

Last edited:
Both Vitale and Keene are much more athletic than Develin was -- but neither has his immense strength (39 reps @ 225lbs in the combine).

"more athletic"

Devein was a top blocker, and was great at picking up the blitz. How well do Vitale and/or Keene meet these roles? Are they even better than Jakob? Obviously, they are not likely to be as good as Develin, one of the best.

"more athletic"

Devein was a top blocker, and was great at picking up the blitz. How well do Vitale and/or Keene meet these roles? Are they even better than Jakob? Obviously, they are not likely to be as good as Develin, one of the best.
Both Danny V & DK >> Yake Yohnson.

Last edited:
Both of them > Yake Yohnson.

Really? Because Johnson was only about 1 step below Develin in terms of his blocking before he got hurt last year. And he's still getting better..

You hatred for all things Belichick, Stoned, is blinding you to reality.,

Johnson was only about 1 step below Develin in terms of his blocking before he got hurt last year.

Well, he's surprisingly as slow as Develin (5.15s 40) and I doubt he's as strong. I don't think he would make the team without the exemption.

Vitale and Keene might not be able to block like Develin but they can still try hard and hopefully they'll help make the offense less predictable when they're in there.

Really? Because Johnson was only about 1 step below Develin in terms of his blocking before he got hurt last year. And he's still getting better..

You hatred for all things Belichick, Stoned, is blinding you to reality.,

Yeah I don’t get it. For anyone who watched his tape last season...it was clear he was blocking well. His technique will improve but not bad at all for a first year un-drafted FB (some undrafted FB’s actually end up with excellent careers).

Well, he's surprisingly as slow as Develin (5.15s 40) and I doubt he's as strong. I don't think he would make the team without the exemption.

Vitale and Keene might not be able to block like Develin but they can still try hard and hopefully they'll help make the offense less predictable when they're in there.

Johnson made the Practice Squad last year without the exemption. That is the only reason he was able to be promoted. Belichick even stated as much. That they didn't actually use the exemption because he was so much better than they thought.

You clearly misread what I stated since I stated that Johnson was only 1 step behind Develin in terms of his blocking. Meaning that Johnson was a GOOD blocker compared to Develin being an ELITE one. I was not referencing his speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes