PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Dalton Keene

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched him a lot. I also rank my prospects prior to the draft, so this isn't a case of my rubber stamping Belichick's picks.

He's not only an effort guy, but he's one of the most athletically gifted TE's in the draft class. Of all the TE's he's one of the few that actually partook in every combine drill and also excelled at them. He caught a high percentage of his targets and was a good blocker in college.

Virginia Tech barely passed the ball, their QB was 2nd on the team in rushing attempts. If a receiving option doesn't garner targets because the team passes the 11th fewest times in the ACC... that's hardly the receiver's fault. Only three team in the ACC attempted fewer passes then the Hokies, he can only catch the ones thrown his way.

I said the same thing about Foster Moreau last season, that his lack of targets in college wouldn't prevent him from being a receiving option. He led the Raiders in receiving TD's until he blew out his knee and still ended up 2nd on the team in receiving TD's. Moreau was also their best blocking TE and caught 84% of his targets.

Like I said, poor assessment...
Worth noting Oak only passed for 22 TDS as well. Moreau just missed a 2nd round grade at 7.95 for my scale.

Last edited:
I suspect that we are going overboard with our assessment of our 3rd round TE picks.

What would we normally hope for from two 3rd rounders? I suspect that we would generally be fine with a 2021 starter and a 2021 contributor. We would hope for some serious contribution for one of them as a rookie. This year, help from at least one of them in 2020 is essential.

IMO We don’t have any starting caliber TE’s...and Asiasi and Keene fixed that. I think they are both more talented then Izzo and LaGlass and will be TE1 and TE2. LaGlass TE3 and Izzo released and re-sign to the PS.

I get the overboard sentiment...but I think it’s a valid argument with Izzo and LaGlass the other 2 TE’s.

Also this is getting very boring ...
You had no idea these prospects were even alive. Nvm having an actual opinion about them.

Basically if you're a mouth breathing slow one and can't draw up a play, have any understanding of the game, don't follow the draft ....
Just stfu and pretend you're a real fan and enjoy the Lombardis. Talk **** on Twitter like you've been a diehard your whole life but really just turned 25 and couldn't tell me what the old stadium looked like to save your life.

This is getting old though ...

So long story short is you either can’t or don’t want to explain kittles lack of production at Iowa.

Overall offensive ineptitude which, outside of the OL, is a common problem at Iowa. However, it was always known how good of athlete Kittle was here. Maybe not nationally, but his athleticism was well known within Iowa. There were effort questions about him locally during the off season, and I will be surprised if that doesn't pop up again down the road.

Keene is a try-hard mediocre athlete and his production seems to match his ability.

One under-achieved in college while one appeared to have performed up to his skill level.

Also this is getting very boring ...
You had no idea these prospects were even alive. Nvm having an actual opinion about them.

Basically if you're a mouth breathing slow one and can't draw up a play, have any understanding of the game, don't follow the draft ....
Just stfu and pretend you're a real fan and enjoy the Lombardis. Talk **** on Twitter like you've been a diehard your whole life but really just turned 25 and couldn't tell me what the old stadium looked like to save your life.

This is getting old though ...

I'm very much on your side of the argument but age has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of boomers who like to pretend like they understand football here. I'm not going to act like I'm an X's and O's genius, so I'm not even trying to defend myself, but it seems kind of insulting to the young people who actually do study the game closely. I'm doing my best to be in that category, and your posts help.

I'm very much on your side of the argument but age has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of boomers who like to pretend like they understand football here. I'm not going to act like I'm an X's and O's genius, so I'm not even trying to defend myself, but it seems kind of insulting to the young people who actually do study the game closely. I'm doing my best to be in that category, and your posts help.
No you're 100% right. I was definitely off base there. I work with a lot of guys in their 40-50's and they couldn't tell you **** about anything either.

Honestly I really don't care about who knows what etc but it gets old when there's no attempt at understanding or benefit of the doubt after this run. The draft isn't for everyone I get that but why **** on prospects when you didn't know their names or game a few hours ago?

I don't want to sound like you have to be "certified" to be a fan. Its not that serious, just sports. Supposed to fun. I just had a weak moment with the trolls :crying:. I can't imagine what Browns fans, Lions fans have been dealing with.

No you're 100% right. I was definitely off base there. I work with a lot of guys in their 40-50's and they couldn't tell you **** about anything either.

Honestly I really don't care about who knows what etc but it gets old when there's no attempt at understanding or benefit of the doubt after this run. The draft isn't for everyone I get that but why **** on prospects when you didn't know their names or game a few hours ago?

I don't want to sound like you have to be "certified" to be a fan. Its not that serious, just sports. Supposed to fun. I just had a weak moment with the trolls :crying:. I can't imagine what Browns fans, Lions fans have been dealing with.

It's a forum, no real need to be accurate with every statement. Sometimes you have to go outside your own logical basis to respond to a troll.

IMO We don’t have any starting caliber TE’s...and Asiasi and Keene fixed that. I think they are both more talented then Izzo and LaGlass and will be TE1 and TE2. LaGlass TE3 and Izzo released and re-sign to the PS.

I get the overboard sentiment...but I think it’s a valid argument with Izzo and LaGlass the other 2 TE’s.

We draft 2 TE's who will be starters, whether they are NFL worthy starters, or not. The bar of LeCosse and Izzo isn't very high.

To be clear, I like the choices, especially Asiasi.

Sometimes you have to go outside your own logical basis to respond to a troll.

I like your posts but can not agree with this one. Troll's only exist if fans respond. Let troll's talk into empty space and they will disappear to another website.

Keene may not be ready to play, he has a lot to learn in order to start contributing. I expect he will be good, but likely will take a bit

I like your posts but can not agree with this one. Troll's only exist if fans respond. Let troll's talk into empty space and they will disappear to another website.

You're not wrong. I guess all I was saying was we shouldn't necessarily feel bad about breaking our own "don't give the trolls what they want" rule. It's called a moment of weakness because it's just one moment.

No...I am not a fan of playing team sports. Enjoy watching them only.

You've never played any team sports?
Gee, I never would've guessed.

Love Kittle...but exactly how is he a much better athlete than Keene?...Please provide the stark contrasts...we’ll wait..

Next George Kittle? Why Patriots Could Wait To Fill Tight End Need

Kittle had a faster 40 time and broad jump. Keene’s broad jump wasn’t too far off (125 to 132) and was actually the top number for any TE this year.

Verticle, height/weight were similar, Keene did better on the bench and the 20 yard shuttle. Can’t find anything on kittle running a 3 cone to compare.

I give Kittle the edge on atheticism but that doesn’t mean Keene isn’t a good athlete in his own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe