PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DaBruinz Cut Down thoughts:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of you need to re-read my Post. Nowhere did I say Burkhead would be cut.
No, YOU need to re-read your post. In the very last paragraph, you mentioned every NE RB except Da Burkmeister. YOU said, and I quote “I have the Pats keeping White, Michel, Hill, Webb and Bolden.”

You never said he’d be cut, but you also never included him in the mix of RBs that will make the roster. How the hell did you miss the STARTING RB???

To make a long story short.....don’t disrespect Da Burkmeister like that.

some situations im watching:

@WR
Everyone is watching the WR cuts and trade options . but it looks like Pats are going with McCarron as 4 weeks insurance . they seem to be good with receiving core they have (incl. TE, RB) and trade or claim for another 4 weeks insurance WR indeed doesn't make sense. Two IFs could still bring a trade for full season upgrade of the position: IF they are less comfortable than they appear with what they have at WR for the season (not just 4 weeks) and IF the right opportunity is there.

@OL
First Q is are they keeping 8 or 9 guys. With exciting young talent logjam at DE, DB and injury concerns at RB id guess they go with 8 and hope to keep some solid IOL backups on hidden roster or PS.
In that case the two open spots should be: T/G between Croston and Tobin; IOL between Karras and Schwenke.
OT - Croston seemed like the best OL player last night. He strangely missed most snaps on games 2 and 3 . but put at LT for the first time this preseason showed he is a solid backup wherever they put him. First i thought they might have a solid trade offer for him and are keeping him out. last night it seemed like a clear test for one swing T position left: They also put Tobin on the right side for the first time and it was the first time he didn't look solid so id guess its Croston over Tobin with trades for any of the two still possibility.
IOL - While a big fan of Karras my feeling is Schwenke might be a choice. He looked better at center, has more experience and no PS eligibility . and since Karras cleared waivers last time (and Patricia possibly playing fair play as well) they might go this way and possibly keep both around.

No, YOU need to re-read your post. In the very last paragraph, you mentioned every NE RB except Da Burkmeister. YOU said, and I quote “I have the Pats keeping White, Michel, Hill, Webb and Bolden.”

You never said he’d be cut, but you also never included him in the mix of RBs that will make the roster. How the hell did you miss the STARTING RB???

He's not that great. Might be our starter, might not be, and he definitely made the team, but he's not worth getting that animated over.

@DB

Ideally Pats might want to keep 11 DBs not counting Ebner.
7 - DMC, Chung, Harmon, Gilmore, Rowe, Dawson, JJ are locks.
At least 4 - JMC, Crossen, JC Jackson, Cyrus offer something to keep them.
Unless a high profile vet trade/FA signing is coming (which could be more unlikely before week 2 since salaries for vets on the roster week 1 are fully guaranteed for the season) with Richards trade and underwhelming performance of Travis, Id guess JMC has a roster spot as well - at least for now. It is a very pricy backup role esp. since he doesn't play ST but with Rowe up and down history and no safety backup its a price BB might be uncharacteristically willing to pay. Maybe they can re-work the contract to fit the new situation. Or could they bring another safety of the few intriguing still out there?
Crossen and JC are keepers for the future and losing LeBlanc, Roberts, Moore, Killings on waivers in last 2 seasons hopefully is a lesson learned.
Cyrus has enough versatility and athleticism that could be worth keeping for another year. Im not sure he survives waivers either.

@DL
Keep Keionta.
Grissom improved in rushing and is core ST. Id guess they want him back but remains to be seen if they use the cut and resign approach again (w Patricia out there)
Harris had a really nice preseason, first flashing his rushing and lately adding some solid LOS tackling and run stopping. Hopefully he comes back to PS.
Lee could be heading back to BUF..

Valentine showed some signs of his former life on the field lately coming back from nagging injury so im curious what they do with him. Doesn't seem they have a spot for him, could very well be lost on waivers . id guess he has some trade value so that might be best option at the moment.

@LB
4 locks unless they are willing to trade Roberts.
2 places could be up for grabs w 4 players in the mix.
Grigsby - decisive, productive, energy, speed, core ST. so so vs run. plenty of missed tkl.
M.Flowers - leaking vs run, hesitant in tkl, not standing out on ST
Sam - injured but intriguing enough for possible IR-R option
Langi - showed most versatility of all (ED, MLB, OLB, STAR + ST) but missed a ton of time. Still they kept him on the roster so I wouldn't be surprised if he is still in play (depending on how overall trade talks go down).

He's not that great. Might be our starter, might not be, and he definitely made the team, but he's not worth getting that animated over.
It’s a joke. The whole “Da Burkmeister” thing is clearly a joke guys. However, he did disrespect Da Burkmeister by omitting his name from the list.

It’s a joke. The whole “Da Burkmeister” thing is clearly a joke guys. However, he did disrespect Da Burkmeister by omitting his name from the list.
I took it as a joke too but don’t see him as the starter. He’s too fragile. Hill should get most of the carries with him and Michel injured.

I think people are talking about this section:

Burkhead stands out by his omission. But I really appreciated your meticulous and informative post, so I won't quibble over missing details. :)

An omission doesn't mean I had him being cut. I fixed it..

It was certainly implied, no?

How is it "implied" when the ENTIRE post was about people who I saw being cut? I'd have had a separate thing for Burkhead if I thought he was even close to being on the bubble.

Umm.. Because Burkhead isn't the starting RB. It's that simple.

How is it "implied" when the ENTIRE post was about people who I saw being cut? I'd have had a separate thing for Burkhead if I thought he was even close to being on the bubble.

You listed the RBs you believed Belichick would carry on the 53 man roster, a list which did not include Rex Burkhead on it.

That is clear evidence that you did not consider/recall Burkhead when evaluating the RBs prior to roster cutdowns. Whether you do not believe Burkhead will make the roster or you simply forgot about him, the fact remains that he wasn't included on your list.

I suspect you forgot about Burkhead and made a mistake of omission. Just admit as much and move on.

Last edited:
Hopefully they actually made good use of their time at college instead of getting history and art degrees. No offense to anyone here that has degrees in those areas. It’s just that your degree is completely useless.
I have a BA in history and I'm somewhat loaded.

But I don't know anything about history and my MBA and huge brain and work ethic are why I've done OK and that history degree was such a waste of time and money damnit.

I have a BA in history and I'm somewhat loaded.

But I don't know anything about history and my MBA and huge brain and work ethic are why I've done OK and that history degree was such a waste of time and money damnit.
I guess the question is, did your degree have anything to do with your success?

I guess the question is, did your degree have anything to do with your success?

If one's schooling fosters helps develop critical thinking skills, logical reasoning and analytical ability, that education (even if one's job doesn't have anything to do with said schooling) has been massively valuable. Those skills translate universally into any profession.

Last edited:
If one's schooling fosters and helps develop critical thinking skills, logical reasoning and analytical ability, that education (even if one's job doesn't have anything to do with said schooling) has been massively valuable. Those skills translate universally into any profession.
And honestly, that has been my experience.

My final 2018 53 man projection:

QB (2) T.Brady, B.Hoyer
RB (6) R.Burkhead, S.Michel, J.Develin, J.Hill, B.Bolden, J.White
WR (4) C.Hogan, C.Patterson, M.Slater, P.Dorsett
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen, J.Hollister
C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras
T (4) T.Brown, M.Cannon, C.Croston, L.Waddle
DE (5) T.Flowers, A.Clayborn, D.Wise, K.Davis, D.Rivers
DT (4) M.Brown, D.Shelton, A.Butler, L.Guy
ILB(4) J.Bentley, N.Grigsby, E.Roberts, D.Hightower
OLB(3) B.King, M.Flowers, K.VanNoy
CB (7) S.Gilmore, D.Dawson, J.Jones, C.Jones, J.Jackson, J.McCourty, E.Rowe
SS (2) P.Chung, N.Ebner
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona
Total players: 53

My final 2018 53 man projection:

QB (2) T.Brady, B.Hoyer
RB (6) R.Burkhead, S.Michel, J.Develin, J.Hill, B.Bolden, J.White
WR (4) C.Hogan, C.Patterson, M.Slater, P.Dorsett
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen, J.Hollister
C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras
T (4) T.Brown, M.Cannon, C.Croston, L.Waddle
DE (5) T.Flowers, A.Clayborn, D.Wise, K.Davis, D.Rivers
DT (4) M.Brown, D.Shelton, A.Butler, L.Guy
ILB(4) J.Bentley, N.Grigsby, E.Roberts, D.Hightower
OLB(3) B.King, M.Flowers, K.VanNoy
CB (7) S.Gilmore, D.Dawson, J.Jones, C.Jones, J.Jackson, J.McCourty, E.Rowe
SS (2) P.Chung, N.Ebner
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona
Total players: 53

Sorry man, but there is no way in hell the Pats are going with only 8 O-linemen. The only time they have done that is when they had a TON of injuries and there was no one else for them to sign.. Having only Karras to back up the 3 interior line positions? Not happening..

The idea that they will go with only 3 WR and 3 TE until Edelman is done his suspension makes no sense either.

You listed the RBs you believed Belichick would carry on the 53 man roster, a list which did not include Rex Burkhead on it.

That is clear evidence that you did not consider/recall Burkhead when evaluating the RBs prior to roster cutdowns. Whether you do not believe Burkhead will make the roster or you simply forgot about him, the fact remains that he wasn't included on your list.

I suspect you forgot about Burkhead and made a mistake of omission. Just admit as much and move on.

I put a caveat on it as well. But yes, I forgot about Burkhead. And I did admit it already. So you move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back