DaBruinz Cut Down thoughts:

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Players whom I expect to be cut:

Poggi - just doesn't have what it takes to be a FB at the PRO level IMHO.
Farrow - wouldn't be surprised to see him on the PS
Muhammad- wouldn't be surprised to see him on the PS
Turner - had terrible drops. Was poor blocking, even for a receiver.
Lucien - Played like he didn't want to be here. Looked lost at times trying to line up which is surprising considering how much time he spent in the Pats system.
Ferentz
Wiltz
Moore
Atkins
Keionta Davis - PS bound IMHO. Had trouble setting the edge.
Will Tye
Trent Harris - PS bound.
Travis -
Grissom
Herron
Ulrick John - was carted off with an Ankle/Foot injury. Could be an IR settlement candidate.
Jason King - Back to the PS?
Etling - seemed to settle down in the 2nd half of the 4th pre-season game. He sold the naked bootleg beautifully. Very much a work in progress.
Bowanko - I think that Schwenke makes him extraneous.
Langi - He was a feel good story last year. The car accident set him back. I think he's PS bound.
Matt Tobin - I don't think he outplayed either Croston or Waddle.
Eric Lee - He was having problems against the 3rd/4th stringers.

Players whom I think might be traded if they aren't cut:
Richards - Please end the madness, BB. (The SB ended any hope for him to be a contributor beyond special teams)
Roberts - I'm hoping Patricia wants him.
Cyrus Jones - He looked like he was 100% out there. Played both Inside and Outside. Looked solid on the punt receptions even when Jackson nearly got him killed.
Gillislee - I think Webb outplayed him. Webb showed he could pass catch, block, and run hard.

Guys whom I'm not sure about:
Ryan Allen and Corey Bojorquez - It was interesting that Bojorquez took ZERO snaps during games. When Allen was battling Mesko, they split the punts, so logic would say that Bojorquez is gone. However, Allen being gone could be the surprise from Left Field.

Jason McCourty - Hopefully his move to safety put the nail in the Richards Coffin. That would give the Pats more versatility with the DBs while Crossen and Jackson continue to mature.

K.J. Maye - Might get a 4 week "try-out" with Edelman suspended. He played well. Though if Kalif Raymond becomes available, I'd grab him. KR/PR/WR. Played inside and outside for the Giants.

Ryan Lewis - Didn't get snaps until late in last game which was surprising. Was penalized twice in limited time. Is probably behind Crossen and JC Jackson.

Braxton Berrios - Probably destined for the IR and designated to return later in the season. But you never known.

Karras - He had a couple of bad series in the 2nd half of the 4th game getting blown up a couple of times. One led to a sack of Etling and the other stopped a run dead. Wouldn't be surprised to see him cut, but possibly brought back

Vincent Valentine - I don't know how much he played in the other games. Early in the game, he handled a double team extremely well to help with a stop. Later in the game (conditioning?) he got pushed around like he was 225 lbs, not 300+.

Ralph Webb - He's going to be a tough one, imho. He showed he could pass catch as well as keep his legs churning. I have the Pats keeping White, Michel, Burkhead, Hill, Webb, and Bolden. BB probably has other ideas.

IR:
Isaiah Wynn

Last edited:
I think there is a good chance that Keionta will be stashed on the 53. I am not sure they want to risk others snatching him up. I would not be surprised if a team with Pats connections would claim him (e.g. Patricia in Detroit).

I agree with your other "expected cuts".

Richards - Please end the madness, BB. (The SB ended any hope for him to be a contributor beyond special teams)
Cyrus Jones - He looked like he was 100% out there. Played both Inside and Outside. Looked solid on the punt receptions even when Jackson nearly got him killed.
Gillislee - I think Webb outplayed him. Webb showed he could pass catch, block, and run hard.

I think all 4 of those will be on the initial 53. With Michel not fully healthy yet and Hill potentially out there is an opening for Gillislee. I am not sure anyone actually showed that they can take over for Richards on all four ST units but I would love to be wrong.

Ryan Allen and Corey Bojorquez - It was interesting that Bojorquez took ZERO snaps during games. When Allen was battling Mesko, they split the punts, so logic would say that Bojorquez is gone. However, Allen being gone could be the surprise from Left Field.

Why would they cut the punter who got all the snaps and hide the player who was wildly inconsistent if they plan to keep him ? Boj is a project for next year. If he can become more consistent his cannon leg could make a play for the 53 next season.

Jason McCourty - Hopefully his move to safety put the nail in the Richards Coffin. That would give the Pats more versatility with the DBs while Crossen and Jackson continue to mature.

Would love if we find a way to keep him around but I think he will be this year's tough cut. Fingers crossed that I am wrong.

K.J. Maye - Might get a 4 week "try-out" with Edelman suspended. He played well. Though if Kalif Raymond becomes available, I'd grab him. KR/PR/WR. Played inside and outside for the Giants.

I think that will be McCarron's role. He got held out of the game for a reason.

Vincent Valentine - I don't know how much he played in the other games. Early in the game, he handled a double team extremely well to help with a stop. Later in the game (conditioning?) he got pushed around like he was 225 lbs, not 300+.

I hope there is a way to keep him if only for depth. He has PS eligibility but I am not sure we will be able to smuggle him there (Hello Lions).

This camp seems like one of the easier years to project cuts except for the 3-4 guys around 53 who all will most probably end up being rotated through via the shadow roster (using Bolden, Grissom ect.). But still.. good job with your projection.

The DB selections are the most interesting to me.

Players whom I expect to be cut:

Poggi - just doesn't have what it takes to be a FB at the PRO level IMHO.
Farrow - wouldn't be surprised to see him on the PS
Muhammad- wouldn't be surprised to see him on the PS
Turner - had terrible drops. Was poor blocking, even for a receiver.
Lucien - Played like he didn't want to be here. Looked lost at times trying to line up which is surprising considering how much time he spent in the Pats system.
Ferentz
Wiltz
Moore
Atkins
Keionta Davis - PS bound IMHO. Had trouble setting the edge.
Will Tye
Trent Harris - PS bound.
Travis -
Grissom
Herron
Ulrick John - was carted off with an Ankle/Foot injury. Could be an IR settlement candidate.
Jason King - Back to the PS?
Etling - seemed to settle down in the 2nd half of the 4th pre-season game. He sold the naked bootleg beautifully. Very much a work in progress.
Bowanko - I think that Schwenke makes him extraneous.
Langi - He was a feel good story last year. The car accident set him back. I think he's PS bound.
Matt Tobin - I don't think he outplayed either Croston or Waddle.
Eric Lee - He was having problems against the 3rd/4th stringers.

Guys whom I'm not sure about:

Ryan Lewis - Didn't get snaps until late in last game which was surprising. Was penalized twice in limited time. Is probably behind Crossen and JC Jackson.

Braxton Berrios - Probably destined for the IR and designated to return later in the season. But you never known.

Karras - He had a couple of bad series in the 2nd half of the 4th game getting blown up a couple of times. One led to a sack of Etling and the other stopped a run dead. Wouldn't be surprised to see him cut, but possibly brought back

Ralph Webb - He's going to be a tough one, imho. He showed he could pass catch as well as keep his legs churning. I have the Pats keeping White, Michel, Hill, Webb, and Bolden. BB probably has other ideas.

IR:
Isaiah Wynn
Dude, I like your post-game analysis! Very informative................however, don’t ever disrespect Da Burkmeister like that again................

Belichick started his career as bad news billy, “coach wants to see you, bring your playbook”, and it continues. So many kids hopes dashed today and tomorrow, possibly realizing their football playing days are over. I hope they can all move on to the next phase of their lives.

Belichick started his career as bad news billy, “coach wants to see you, bring your playbook”, and it continues. So many kids hopes dashed today and tomorrow, possibly realizing their football playing days are over. I hope they can all move on to the next phase of their lives.
Hopefully they actually made good use of their time at college instead of getting history and art degrees. No offense to anyone here that has degrees in those areas. It’s just that your degree is completely useless.

Hopefully they actually made good use of their time at college instead of getting history and art degrees. No offense to anyone here that has degrees in those areas. It’s just that your degree is completely useless.

Most of those that went to big school football programs didn't get real college degrees that will prepare them for anything.

Time to go to a trade school....

Matt Chatham Tweeted:
FWIW, next 24 hrs or so really sucks for that dozen or so guys who don’t know what comes next. Especially if there’s a bad play or 2 that sticks out in their mind from tonight. They could get a lucrative job, or the dream could be over. It eats away your insides, from experience.

*To each their own, but if you’re of the persuasion, praying for them and their families over the next couple days isn’t a bad move. It’s an extremely stressful time for these players.

I’m not particularly religious. But, if I was, I am pretty sure there are many other stressed out humans on the globe that would receive my attention before a bunch of guys applying for a job..
True. The hierarchy of needs prevails. Never the less pro athletes are people too. :)

Definitely need an answer on that. Cutting Burkhead would be a shocker.
Some see him ending up on IR at some point due to him eventually reaggrevating his injury. Looks like he just can’t shake it off.

Looks like White will be the starter week 1. Thought I’d see more from Hill after a promising first week of preseason.

Both of you need to re-read my Post. Nowhere did I say Burkhead would be cut.

I think people are talking about this section:

I have the Pats keeping White, Michel, Hill, Webb, and Bolden.

Burkhead stands out by his omission. But I really appreciated your meticulous and informative post, so I won't quibble over missing details. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back