PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D-line rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deflatemyballs

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Wanted to talk about some actual football for a change, one of the areas on our team that has me very excited is the D line. With the depth and youth we currently have, I think this is going to be the best group we have had in some time.

First let's talk about the big uglies in the middle. I love my man Vince as much as anybody but I am quite intrigued to see some 1st round penetrating defensive tackles at our disposal. Now I know a lot of people here are split on Easley, knee injuries are always a concern and should not be taken lightly. With that said I think he held his own last year playing out of position when chandler was out. Was he dominant? No. But he did show his versitlity and athleticism. I believe with a full healthy offseason in his back pocket he can be another chess piece for bb to use. Coupled with a specimen like Brown, a 320 pounder who is athletic enough to play 1, 3, or 5 technique I think we have some solid buildings blocks on the inside. Also this will take pressure off silinga and branch keeping them fresh and effective. I think it's safe to say the days of the Joe Vellano types are gone.

As far as our edge guys go, I am as big of fans of Ninkovich and Chandler as the next guy but thank the lord we have finally got these guys some depth behind them so they don't need oxygen masks by the fourth quarter getting beat up 95 percent of the snaps. I think sheard is an immediate contributer, he is an excellent run defender and deceptive pass rusher. His role will also allow them to be a bit more scheme diverse with Nink or Chandler more opportunists to stand up or kick inside respectively. Also I am very pleased at spending resources on more depth at edge in the third and fourth round with Grissom and flowers. I don't know a whole lot about either of them besides flowers being labeled a 2nd round grade by some and Grissom being a potential chess piece move type defensive player.

I'm very excited about the possibilities that are on the table for this unit. I figured this board could use a change of pace from what's going on, just wanted to see what everyone else was thinking about this group.

Edit: kind of rambled on sorry about that got excited

Easley would be a big addition, if he's able to produce. He's still currently rehabbing, but claims that training camp is his target date for return to health.

Siliga
is another who is recovering from major offseason surgery, but has looked good in our system. He's another one who needs to get healthy, so he can continue to provide service.

Branch is a good JAG signing as a big man, who seemed to fit in well here.

Siliga and Branch are gonna start IMO. Easley will be used in pass-rush situations. More in some games than others. And, when we have a 2nd half lead. Don't expect too much from Malcom Brown. He's 21. He will spell Branch and Siliga. Not start ahead of them. Don't be shocked if Chris Jones plays as much as Malcom in 2015.

You're forgetting J. Sheard. He's gonna play much more than the two rookies. Much more.

Siliga and Branch are gonna start IMO. Easley will be used in pass-rush situations. More in some games than others. And, when we have a 2nd half lead. Don't expect too much from Malcom Brown. He's 21. He will spell Branch and Siliga. Not start ahead of them. Don't be shocked if Chris Jones plays as much as Malcom in 2015.

You're forgetting J. Sheard. He's gonna play much more than the two rookies. Much more.

why would you not expect much from brown? he may well come right out of the box as the pats best DT

nobody matches his size AND mobility

why would you not expect much from brown? he may well come right out of the box as the pats best DT

nobody matches his size AND mobility

He's very young. Only 21. Doesn't have those man-muscles yet. He will be good eventually. Not as quick as you're expecting. He didn't do much his soph. year at Texas. Played significantly better as a junior. He will have a similiar learning curve in the NFL.

He's very young. Only 21. Doesn't have those man-muscles yet. He will be good eventually. Not as quick as you're expecting. He didn't do much his soph. year at Texas. Played significantly better as a junior. He will have a similiar learning curve in the NFL.

this makes no sense, but you are entitled to your opinion

I guess Seymour, Gronk, Hernandez didn't have any 'man-muscles' either

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back