PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cyrus Jones still struggling on returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think one day of OTAs is that meaningful. If he can't figure out how to catch punts he will be a corner who doesn't return punts.

I dont think one day of OTAs is that meaningful. If he can't figure out how to catch punts he will be a corner who doesn't return punts.
He has yet to demonstrate the ability to play corner as well.

He has yet to demonstrate the ability to play corner as well.
He was drafted on his ability to play corner and he played decently as a rookie. The fact he was blocked by a good secondary on the #1 defense in the NFL is not a condemnation of his skills

He was drafted on his ability to play corner and he played decently as a rookie. The fact he was blocked by a good secondary on the #1 defense in the NFL is not a condemnation of his skills
No, he didn't play decently as a rookie, which is my point. He appeared in 10 games -- zero passes defended, three tackles and four assisted tackles. He underachieved.

No, he didn't play decently as a rookie, which is my point. He appeared in 10 games -- zero passes defended, three tackles and four assisted tackles. He underachieved.
He plaued fine given the opportunity he had.
Tallying up stats does nothing more than show he was stuck behind 3 veteran corners who played so well the defense was #1 in the NFL.
Are we now saying a rookie who can't get in the field on the #1 defense in the league at a position of strength failed? Really?

Oh and he is the first player to ever underperform in the first year in the nfl or what? Melvin Gordon for example didn't have a fricking TD in his first year and in his second he had 1000 yards and 10 TDs. If he would have been our first rounder that year he would have been destroyed on this board. Or remember that guy named Cannon, who was the absolute worst tackle in 2015 and a beast in 2016? Don't quit on players after just one year. There are just as many late bloomers as immediate impact players.

Oh and he is the first player to ever underperform in the first year in the nfl or what? Melvin Gordon for example didn't have a fricking TD in his first year and in his second he had 1000 yards and 10 TDs. If he would have been our first rounder that year he would have been destroyed on this board. Or remember that guy named Cannon, who was the absolute worst tackle in 2015 and a beast in 2016? Don't quit on players after just one year. There are just as many late bloomers as immediate impact players.
Do you often find yourself swatting at flies with a sledgehammer? I never suggested Jones can't redeem himself with a second-year leap, I merely pointed out he underperformed his rookie season. That's a fact. He was a second-round pick, it's reasonable to have expected more from him. Hopefully he'll show something this year.

Last edited:

Agreed, it is too early to assess his potential as a CB, the Pats were very strong at this position after Rowe was added. Plus, he brings a special skill set in his physicality, he really beats up receivers at the line and is very strong at run support. He is very solidly built, heavier than anyone else except Rowe (and he is actually listed at 2 lbs heavier than McCourty). It's too early to give up on him.

Last edited:
Cyrus Jones did not play well at corner last year. He fought for, and sometimes lost, the final game day spot to Justin Coleman, who did not have a good year, and has zero special teams value.

Coleman, only one year older, is odds on not to make a roster spot this year. Unless Jones is an Eric Rowe caliber CB, he better bring special teams to his game to make it with the Patriots.

He plaued fine given the opportunity he had.
Tallying up stats does nothing more than show he was stuck behind 3 veteran corners who played so well the defense was #1 in the NFL.
Are we now saying a rookie who can't get in the field on the #1 defense in the league at a position of strength failed? Really?
I'm curious how you'd define him playing "fine." As for his limited time, that's a chicken or egg question. IF he was playing well, he would've gotten more chances. I saw him in spot duty playing tentatively, which equates to not being in the position to make plays. I'm not condemning the kid, I'm just saying he didn't show anything last season. Hopefully he does this year.

How has he been performing at CB?

I'm curious how you'd define him playing "fine." As for his limited time, that's a chicken or egg question. IF he was playing well, he would've gotten more chances. I saw him in spot duty playing tentatively, which equates to not being in the position to make plays. I'm not condemning the kid, I'm just saying he didn't show anything last season. Hopefully he does this year.
In the opportinities he had he covered his man pretty well looked active came up in run support. He didn't have a lot of opportunities but saying as a rookie he didn't beat out butler Ryan and Rowe who turned out to be part of the #1 defense is saying he did what I would expect of any rookie.

Struggles apart, I don't know if it's because we didn't have a 1st rounder last year due to the thief but there is a ton of pressure on his shoulders, from himself, from the coaching staff and from the fans. He's in a tough situation.

Last edited:
To be fair, neither the post by minitron nor the post by tune scribe deserved a "dislike". Both you guys made solid observations and are good contributors to this site.
I remember Cannon getting crucified on this board in 2015 and most of the posters thought he would never amount to anything. As bad as Cannon was in 2015 (and he was indeed putrid), he was superb in 2016. Jones has just as much a chance to do the same as he played as bad in 2016 as Cannon did in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back