PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cyrus Jones still struggling on returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB "kept" 5: Butler, Ryan, Jones, Jones and Coleman. Then he acquired Rowe before wk-1. So, the Pats had 6 CBs all season, and 10 DBs overall - not including Ebner and King.

I think that information is useful, but the fact remains that 5 CBs made the initial 53 man roster, which is our discussion, and that's how it usually is in most years. I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that it's usually 5. As you noted, that could change depending on the number of real safeties, so maybe it would be better to look strictly at DBs instead of breaking it down into 2 categories? I don't know.

I believe the addition of Rowe and Gilmore improves the outside coverage upon last year's initial 53 man CB chart, which is why I think they're in a good position to only keep 5. It isn't hard to see why they tried to add upon those 5 before week one. I think the situation is a bit different this year.

That said, the lack of true safeties makes the possibility of keeping 6 CBs more of an option.

What an odd notion. Are you saying that it's not possible that a better CB4 might lead to some 4 CB/2S sets?

Possible? yes.

How often would I rather have Harmon sitting instead Jones, Jones or Coleman?

Not often? Do you disagree?

I wasn't impressed with Rowe on the outside. I'd prefer to see Butler out there with a true slot corner, unless matchup dictate otherwise. But, well see how TC shakes out. Will be fun to watch.

I suspect that Belichick disagrees with you assessment of Rowe as an outside corner.

Coleman is a "ture slot corner". I would much rather play Gilmore/Rowe/Butler than Gilmore/Bulter/Coleman. Do you disagree?

Of course, one of the Jones boys could replace Coleman, or not.

If I were CJ, I'd consider a psychologist, a counselor of some sorts who can help him overcome these mental hurdles. Because he has all the physical talents in the world.

I suspect that Belichick disagrees with you assessment of Rowe as an outside corner.

Coleman is a "ture slot corner". I would much rather play Gilmore/Rowe/Butler than Gilmore/Bulter/Coleman. Do you disagree?

Depends on the matchup. Butler is much better than Rowe.

Depends on the matchup. Butler is much better than Rowe.

When 2 CB's are on the field, it was Butler and Ryan. Now it will be Butler and Gilmore.

When 3 CB's are on the field, Rowe comes in. Last year, Ryan move to the slot and Rowe played outside. This year, I expect Butler to move to the slot when Rowe comes in.

Given how many more big receivers there and how we've been exposed in the past, I don't think finding ways to use tall and smaller corners is a bad problem. It is a passing game now and talent and size at CB will be used.

When 2 CB's are on the field, it was Butler and Ryan. Now it will be Butler and Gilmore.

When 3 CB's are on the field, Rowe comes in. Last year, Ryan move to the slot and Rowe played outside. This year, I expect Butler to move to the slot when Rowe comes in.

Seems a fit. BB isn't going to spend much time massaging egos. If players won't do what's best for the team, they will sit. Butler is a curious case. I think he realizes he stole an opportunity and ran with it, if not financially. Without the INT he very well could have been a Coleman or JJones trying to break through.

I wasn't impressed with Rowe on the outside. I'd prefer to see Butler out there with a true slot corner, unless matchup dictate otherwise. But, well see how TC shakes out. Will be fun to watch.

I thought Rowe did ok. I don't like his showboating once he defends a pass, but I didn't think he was a liability by any means.

I remember in the playoff game vs Houston, at 7:22 in first quarter, with score 7-0, Rowe got a penalty "pulling a player off a pile" personal foul, 15 yards, and it allowed their drive to continue. And BB was furious and he yelled at Rowe and benched him after that play and I was think "Rowe is done for the night". But later in the drive Rowe was back in there and if anything played very sharp the rest of the night. And I realized BB must like this kid because for most other players on their rookie contracts, that kind of penalty with the game in the balance, would have meant they were done for the night.

That was an awful call by the zebra, especially given the stakes and the situation itself. Rowe's actions were benign, and his attitude would hardly be described as malicious. He probably didn't even know that he had committed a penalty of any kind, as I didn't.

Play was weird, but, to me, when Rowe stopped flapping his arms, he did a great job against some great big WRs. The passes and catches to Julio Jones were unstoppable. His coverage was excellent. Most of the time those passes aren't perfect and highlight film catches don't happen.

We need some kick returners. Might make the difference from winning, losing a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore