PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cyrus Jones re-signed off Raven’s PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its like the chick I dated throughout high school. We broke up and got back together several times.

C Jones will always be active as the PR and the 4th CB on Game Day. He will also play Special Teams.

Gilmore, Rowe and J Jones are the top 3. We also would have the 4 safeties active.
=========
IMHO, absent an injury, Jackson and Crossen will be inactive. Personally, I would keep one and cut the other. However, I could see the logic of cutting someone else. Croston comes to mind, but would not be my choice. Rivers is another possibility. He has clearly been beaten out by Davis.

I'd rather not cut a starter just because he had a bad game against a good receiving group.
Rowe played 2 series and allowed 2 plays one of which was a ridiculous catch in good coverage. The other wasnt exactly horrific.
I don’t see how you cut a stater over that.

Not sure where Jax equals a good receiving group though, the appear much closer to worst in the league than best.

Barner cut per Rap.

Jones gets his #41 back.

C Jones will always be active as the PR and the 4th CB on Game Day. He will also play Special Teams.

Gilmore, Rowe and J Jones are the top 3. We also would have the 4 safeties active.
=========
IMHO, absent an injury, Jackson and Crossen will be inactive. Personally, I would keep one and cut the other. However, I could see the logic of cutting someone else. Croston comes to mind, but would not be my choice. Rivers is another possibility. He has clearly been beaten out by Davis.

Davis has pretty much been a disaster. I'd like to see him inactive; can Rivers be worse than that?

He was a converted WR at Alabama. He was raw coming into NE and then he got hurt. I'd like to believe he could turn into a decent number 2 or 3 CB. He can't be worse than what the Patriots have now.

He spent three years at CB there and was one of the primary reasons why Alabama's secondary weakened from 2013-2014. Cardale Jones and OSU targeted him specifically in the Sugar Bowl. By 2015, Alabama's front seven was absolutely dominant and they were able to put the pieces around him in the secondary. It was also his senior season.

In his time in New England, he improved so much that they cut him after his first full healthy preseason and is only coming back now because the situation at CB2 has not been a good one and the team has a need at PR. Again, there is nothing to suggest that he just needs more time. If that were the case, we would have seen marked improvement by now instead of Jones getting cut and ending up on another team's practice squad before coming back.

Davis has pretty much been a disaster. I'd like to see him inactive; can Rivers be worse than that?

No. It's a mystery to me why Rivers has been inactive. Davis has sucked mightily.

Cyrus has decent size for a CB he should be better than he's shown so far. We cannot get any worse than Rowe. I think Cyrus's carer is going to be resurrected. I may be in the minority but I love this move: Rowe might be keeping the Bench warm for Edelman. At this point Rowe is just bad.:rolleyes:

No. It's a mystery to me why Rivers has been inactive. Davis has sucked mightily.

My wild speculation in the early going, either:

A) Rivers is still a step behind coming back from his injury, and they're letting him work through that.

or

B) Davis is the new Richards, and he probably looks better in practice than he ends up playing in the game.

He spent three years at CB there and was one of the primary reasons why Alabama's secondary weakened from 2013-2014. Cardale Jones and OSU targeted him specifically in the Sugar Bowl. By 2015, Alabama's front seven was absolutely dominant and they were able to put the pieces around him in the secondary. It was also his senior season.

In his time in New England, he improved so much that they cut him after his first full healthy preseason and is only coming back now because the situation at CB2 has not been a good one and the team has a need at PR. Again, there is nothing to suggest that he just needs more time. If that were the case, we would have seen marked improvement by now instead of Jones getting cut and ending up on another team's practice squad before coming back.

He wasn't fully healthy during the preseason, he came back in the middle of it.

I don't think Rowe is as bad as he showed against the Jags, and if we trade away every player that looked bad in that game we wouldn't have a defense anymore.

Rowe has shown that he's clueless against Bigger WR's which should be is mo and we know he doesn't stand a chance against smaller shiftier guys. Rowe doesn't have the hips for the position he's too dam Stiff ...that's why Philly didn't like him and now neither does BB or Flores.

He wasn't fully healthy during the preseason, he came back in the middle of it.

Not on IR, though. The team got a good look at him and cut him. This signing, so far, is more of one done out of necessity. Just like the Gordon trade. McCourty and Rowe have not been good and there has been an unfilled need at PR. I would suspect that PR is more or less the primary reason why they brought him back. I just hope that if he gets game reps before Edelman comes back and assumes the job, he doesn't start coughing the ball up again.

Rivers need to work on that Basketball physique he makes Chandler Jones look like a trimmed down Vince Wilfork. Guys like Rivers cannot set the Edge the way BB likes ie...Barkevious Mingo. Let's hope Rivers Frame have growth potential.

Rowe has shown that he's clueless against Bigger WR's which should be is mo and we know he doesn't stand a chance against smaller shiftier guys. Rowe doesn't have the hips for the position he's too dam Stiff ...that's why Philly didn't like him and now neither does BB or Flores.

I'm not going to claim that he's a guy you can use to clamp anyone down 1-on-1, but that's not what a #2 outside corner usually does. We have Gilmore for that, so safety help can roll to Rowe's side. I'm not ready to say he's useless after a bad game giving up contested catches. And if anyone blames him for the ridiculous Cole catch, I'll never agree with that.

As for this part:

Philly didn't like him and now neither does BB or Flores.

That's just you projecting your own feelings onto the coaching staff. Players get benched during games when they don't have it on that day all the time. Coaches loved Arrington, but he got benched for Butler in SB49 because he went cold. You can't assume that because he got sat down in the midst of a terrible defensive game (across the whole team), that suddenly the coaches don't like him anymore. Hell, BRADY got sat down in the Chiefs game in 2014. It happens.

Not on IR, though. The team got a good look at him and cut him. This signing, so far, is more of one done out of necessity. Just like the Gordon trade. McCourty and Rowe have not been good and there has been an unfilled need at PR. I would suspect that PR is more or less the primary reason why they brought him back. I just hope that if he gets game reps before Edelman comes back and assumes the job, he doesn't start coughing the ball up again.

If you read Belichick's comments on him near cutdown day, I believe after the last preseason game, he said he wanted to get some more looks at him as a PR (and perhaps a CB) but was unable to do so due to situations in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes