PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran's reporting on Mayo being the next head coach

Remember in 2009 when Curran said Brady was in danger of missing the upcoming season due to an infection in his surgically-repaired knee? Someone from here emailed him after it was clear Brady was fine, and Curran sent an email back that just said "FU."
I knew a guy a few years later who was having a knee replacement and was bragging to me about his doctor and hospital. The next time I saw his wife I found out that his knee didn't work out well and that he had an infection. That led to the removal of the new knee and the installation of a block of wood in it's place while they treated the infection. He was also given an option of taking part of his leg instead. He's fine now.

What is taking so long for Belichick to "step down"? Hurry the F up Kraft.
What's the rush? Whatever is in the works has probably already been determined and it's now about compensation. As long as Bill's gone I'll party like it's 2999.

If we end up with the DEI guy Mayo, it is only because Bob Kraft does not want to be called racist because he mentioned Mayo as a possibility a while back

My biggest problem with Mayo is the thought of him bringing back Belichick’s staff. I also want someone committed to rebuilding our offense & Mayo is a defensive guy all the way

What's the rush? Whatever is in the works has probably already been determined and it's now about compensation. As long as Bill's gone I'll party like it's 2999.
Gonna be a long hangover from that party.....maybe lifelong.

Interesting. I am not afraid of change. I like the idea of more former players being head coaches. I'm alright with giving Mayo a shot. I think we should clean house with everything regarding our wrs. Scouts and Troy Brown. Brown has been here awhile and I haven't seen a single wr get better from the moment they walked into the building.
In Brown’s defence, Michelangelo wouldn’t have sculpted the David if given manure. Dude worked with marble.

On October 22nd, the NFL Network reported the Pats and Belichick had done a “long term and lucrative “extension in the offseason. Within a couple of hours of that report, Tom Curran was on NBCBoston’s pregame show and contested that report saying his understanding was that Belichick was only signed through 2024. Weeks later the NFL Network “insider” who broke the “long-term, lucrative “ report corroborated Curran’s understanding that Belichick was only signed through 2024. That Belichick’s contract only runs through 2024 is pretty much an unchallenged fact at this point.

That Curran was right on such a pertinent fact. One that only the Krafts and Bill likely knew kind of gives him some credibility that he indeed has a source. It would have been very easy for ownership to refute Curran’s “the decision was made after the Germany game report”. But, the Krafts have been as quiet as church mice since.

You don’t even need to be an insider to believe Jerod Mayo is likely to be Bill’s successor. His imminent resigning was mentioned in the Pats letter to their season ticket holders last offseason. Bob Kraft even referred to Mayo as the “heir apparent “ in an interview with Judy Batista of NFL media at a league meeting last year.

Curran was also the Kraft’s mouthpiece in their tepid and too late pushback on Deflategate.
Curran is 100% used as a mouthpiece by the team at times. The problem is that when he’s not being used as a mouthpiece, he doesn’t know jack and has little-to-no sources to tap. He basically waits by the phone to be fed a story and has to make **** up in the times in-between.

Curran's one of the best in the business. He was right on a lot of the Brady - Belichick situation while many people were saying everything was fine.
Isn’t Curran the guy who said that Brady had an infection and could miss the 2009 season?

How did that turn out?

He’s arguably the most successful NFL owner ever. He’s hired three coaches, all of whom won Super Bowls, and the patriots have won six Super Bowls, as we know. That’s an odd take.

As for Mayo, I think it’s strange to disqualify someone because they maybe learned from Bill Belichick, one of the greatest coaches ever. Weird times here.
Yup, right now it's IKWT. What's not to like?

If Mayo's smart, which I think he is, he learned from watching Belichick and other coaches and filtered out the bad and kept the good that he learned. He then tweaked that and came up with his own style, which he'll continue to adjust. He could be a flop or a great choice if he's the one.

I’ll be pissed if they get rid of Bill, pass on Vrabel, and hire Mayo.

Literal worst case IMO.
I agree with you….mayo has no HC experience…..and is part of the old regime. If Kraft decides “hey if I still have to pay Bill ….ill keep him one more year” ….and he decides to bring back McDaniels and put draft in hands of someone else as GM that has offensive skill set ….i could get that. But if not, Vrabel makes some sense and can be had this year on Tennessee’s dime….

Vrabel took his team to the playoffs, made the conference championship, understands NE culture, has actually run a team, AND had no personnel control or a QB.

I’m taking him over Mayo who has never even run a unit, and has only been an NFL coach at all for a few years.

Could he be good eventtually?

Of course.

Do I think he is ready or qualified to be HC of NEP?

No.

If it’s Mayo, just keep Bill.
Great post

Yup, right now it's IKWT. What's not to like?

If Mayo's smart, which I think he is, he learned from watching Belichick and other coaches and filtered out the bad and kept the good that he learned. He then tweaked that and came up with his own style, which he'll continue to adjust. He could be a flop or a great choice if he's the one.
Hmmm...how many times have we heard this said about coaches that are currently on this forum's forever **** list?

Isn’t Curran the guy who said that Brady had an infection and could miss the 2009 season?

How did that turn out?
It's entirely possible that Brady did have an infection and recovered. You think Curran just mentioned an infection to stir things up?

Vrabel as HC. Mayo as DC/Assistant HC. Covington as D-Line Coach/Assistant DC. O'Brien as OC (and brings in solid position coaches like he wanted to do, but BB wouldn't allow). And, a hopefully great GM and Scouting Department.
No more BoB…..he’s not what we need here…..I see McD returning

Curren‘s butt still hurt’s from sign video taping days. BB made him look bad for asking stupid questions. Most of local media guys been waiting for BB to falll

Last edited:
It's entirely possible that Brady did have an infection and recovered. You think Curran just mentioned an infection to stir things up?
He certainly didn’t do it to make himself look stupid, but he couldn’t have been more wrong. You could blame his source, but I blame the guy who wrote a false story

Hmmm...how many times have we heard this said about coaches that are currently on this forum's forever **** list?
First of all, I don't value coaches or owners anywhere near as much as players. I just want to make that clear right off the bat. None of these coaches or owners have to go out there and put their body on the line for our enjoyment. The players do and the best of them are who create wins.

Fans here have knocked just about every HC, and some QBs, who won a SB. If they're knocking our next HC then that could be a good thing.

Speculation on top of speculation on top of desperate “reporting.”

All that aside, Mayo’s got as much experience as Vrabel had when he took over TN.

He certainly didn’t do it to make himself look stupid, but he couldn’t have been more wrong. You could blame his source, but I blame the guy who wrote a false story
He's one of the few I see that I don't turn off in seconds. I like the kid Perry that's on with him too.

I'm not sure if the media was more truthful "back in the day" or I was more gullible or uninformed.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back