PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran:Mix of fear, hubris and disorganization led to Steelers' downfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curran nailed it.

Every time we play the Steelers I just sit back and wait for Tomlin to do something stupid to piss the game away.

Usually it occurs a lot sooner when they refuse to change their defense even though Brady absolutely shreds it every year.

This time he lasted 59 1/2 minutes before self destructing. But he just couldn’t resist. Winning his way is more important than winning. And that’s why he loses.

Exactly. Forget about the %s and probabilities etc that Ernie Adams throws out there.

It all came down to BB having zero confidence in his defense stopping Manning. Period.

It may be semantics, but I think it's more that he had decidedly more confidence in Brady converting a 4th and 2 than he did in his defense stopping Manning.

In other words, if he had Tom Savage at QB and a below average offense, the calculation may have been different (or not, but it's hard to know).

to this day I still maintain...Faulk converted that 4th and 2, and aint no one gonna convince me otherwise, the proof is there

Yep. That gamble WORKED because the Pats CONVERTED the first down. But because of a crappy spot that was not that difficult to see on replay, BB got castigated for "arrogance", etc.

Oh well. I'm sure he's over it.

It may be semantics, but I think it's more that he had decidedly more confidence in Brady converting a 4th and 2 than he did in his defense stopping Manning.

In other words, if he had Tom Savage at QB and a below average offense, the calculation may have been different (or not, but it's hard to know).
Agree that was absolutely part of the equation. That and the matchup they had with Faulk

One minor disagreement with the article: the Steelers were smart to call their timeout when they did. A 69 yard gain would kill a great deal of time getting all the lineman downfield and set to go.

The problem is that at that point, you should simply take 3 shots at the end zone. Every play should be incomplete or a TD. Doing this underneath stuff is playing with fire and gasoline.

Fake spike plays usually feature everyone standing around with just one receiver going out for the pass and the line doing a modicum of blocking. Deception is the whole point so selling the deception is key. It's comical to hear about complaints that everyone wasn't on the same page because they executed it fine, except...

Fake Spike plays usually *don't* feature routes and throws into the middle of a defense, especially if the QB holds the ball a beat too long allowing the D to recover should they initially be fooled. Ben, you glorious dope.

Regards,
Chris

Every time we play the Steelers I just sit back and wait for Tomlin to do something stupid to piss the game away.

Usually it occurs a lot sooner when they refuse to change their defense even though Brady absolutely shreds it every year.
You mean, like leaving single man coverage on Gronk for his one-man game-winning drive even after the CB looks over to the sidelines looking for help?

to this day I still maintain...Faulk converted that 4th and 2, and aint no one gonna convince me otherwise, the proof is there

The blame goes to the coaches and/or TB12.

They passed the ball on 3rd and 2 with just over 2 minutes left and then used their last timeout.

Then when they passed the ball on fourth down it left too much time on the clock to get an officials replay and they had no timeout left to challenge the call.

In my opinion, Curran is unparalleled as an analyst and just an outstanding writer, as well.
The fact that Curran and I are fellow graduates/alumni of the same college is merely coincidental;)...Seriously, my professional opinion of Curran was formed long before I realized we shared that history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back