PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crable released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the pats are gonna get steve smith from carolina.:confused:

I know just messin around;) Maybe ty law is coming back?

I was hoping he'd take a step forward but guess not. I don't think he's coming back.

Oh well. Time to close the book on the 2008 draft. Huge hit on Mayo, big whiffs on Wheatley and Crable, decent value picks with Wilhite (I can't believe I just wrote that) and Slater.

Very odd that he is cut after playing more this week than ever before, especially when it looked like his extra playing time was due to a new scheme wrinkle.
I havent rewatched the game so this is just from noticing in real time with 1000 things to notice, but we played a lot of 3-4 with nickel type personnel. Crable was playing 34 DE with Guyton at ILB, and Wright on the nose in quite a few cases. It seemed like we wanted the 34 to keep them honest vs the run but really were playing it more like nickel.
I don't remember seeing that before and it seemed like a new concept---using OLBs as 3-4 DEs, accepting that they would struggle vs the run, but getting a better pass rusher in there. Sort of a compromise between 34 and nickle.
I actually thougth we may see more of it this week vs Indys weak run blocking OL. We still can of course because we have Cunningham or TBC to play that spot, and Ninko on the other side.

The only thing that really makes sense here is either Crable was just awful (I didnt see that live, but havent replayed yet) or that there was some type of insubordinate behavior.

they most be re-signing him or he did not set the egde or was very bad in pass coverage. but as far as pass rush goes IMO he has been one of the best the last few weeks

Crable played more than he ever has. One can only believe that Belichick like what he saw.

It still seems strange to me.

I can understand Fletcher passing him on the depth chart, but it would seem that Crable would be solid insurance, and worth having on the squad.

To me, it is much more necessary to have our 9th OLB for insurance than to have our 10th OL (Ohrnberger) or our 7th DL (Love). This presumes that belichick needs the roster spot.

Crable played more than he ever has. One can only believe that Belichick like what he saw.

I can understand Fletcher passing him on the depth chart, but it would seem that Crable would be solid insurance, and worth having on the squad.

To me, it is much more necessary to have our 9th OLB for insurance than to have our 10th OL (Ohrnberger) or our 7th DL (Love). This presumes that belichick needs the roster spot.

I think it's for Ventrone because we're playing the Colts and Bill's going with many DB's. Also Bill singled out Ventrone for praise this past week as he was palamalu and he was his bother in practice.

I think it's for Ventrone because we're playing the Colts and Bill's going with many DB's. Also Bill singled out Ventrone for praise this past week as he was palamalu and he was his bother in practice.
We already have 5 safeties on the roster.

He can be behind Fletcher on the depth chart because they play entirely different positions.
He has been active 5 staright games,and getting increased playing time in a role we are short a player without him. Freeing up a roster spot doesnt make sense either and like you said there are guys that are much more fringe.
I would float the possiblilty that since Guyton rushed the pass more last week he is being made part of the outside rotation, but I watched him rush the passer, so I know that cant be it.
Very puzzling.

Gotta be Tony Carter

Am I the only one hoping it's not Ventrone? The guy struggled in the preseason on special teams, come..

Last edited:
I was paying attention to him when he was in and he was mostly just brutal--got pushed back like a rag doll.

He also looked pretty slow. I thought he was a defensive tackle chasing Big Ben from behind on one play.

Theres gotta be more to this. The guy has been active every week, if you needed a roster spot you would be more likely to cut one of the regular gameday inatives wouldn't you?

I'm expecting that somebody is coming in to replace him in that spot. Maybe Burgess is coming back?

BB wants to move him back to Practice Squad so he can make room for somebody else on the 53. we will see who that is, but its probably an OL or RB or something like that i would guess. something different, associated with the gameplan.

just a guess.

-- FRITZ

I think this is the most reasonable explanation. Go Pats:rocker:

Theres gotta be more to this. The guy has been active every week, if you needed a roster spot you would be more likely to cut one of the regular gameday inatives wouldn't you?

I'm expecting that somebody is coming in to replace him in that spot. Maybe Burgess is coming back?
BB cut Burgess in camp, why would he bring him back? Why would he want him? Why would he want him more after sitting home 2 months?

Gotta be Tony Carter

Ageed, I've been thinking that Tony Carter would get the call for some time now. He's won the black jersey more than any player this season I believe. It would seem that the Pats are happy with him since he is also their highest paid PS player. My thinking though was that Ohrnberger would be released since Mankins is back but maybe Neal injury is a longer than initially expected issue although Wendell and Ojinaka are ahead of Ohrnberger. Also, Darius Butler has been in the doghouse and wasn't active this week and that would leave only three game day CB's (McCourty, Arrington and Wilhite) -- can't have that vs Colts.

I'm baffled by this one. IBWT

Ageed, I've been thinking that Tony Carter would get the call for some time now. He's won the black jersey more than any player this season I believe. It would seem that the Pats are happy with him since he is also their highest paid PS player. My thinking though was that Ohrnberger would be released since Mankins is back but maybe Neal injury is a longer than initially expected issue although Wendell and Ojinaka are ahead of Ohrnberger. Also, Darius Butler has been in the doghouse and wasn't active this week and that would leave only three game day CB's (McCourty, Arrington and Wilhite) -- can't have that vs Colts.

I'm not sure I'd want Butler out there either. He's a flag magnet against normal teams, but against Indy, you might as well chalk up 60-70 yards in PI penalties from Butler alone.

Any sightings of Adam Seward? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference