PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could more outstanding play of BJGE possibly be Maroney's ticket out of town?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from a few decent games late last season (and much of it was due to the fact that defenses laid back to guard against the pass) - What have you seen from Maroney with the exception of a few flashes that makes you think he is anything more than garbage and one of the worst #1 picks in NE history?

Seriously, how long have you been following the Pats? It can't have been that long if you make a statement like this.

He is injury prone and cannot take a direct hit,He does not bounce off defenders - Does not have the vision it takes for an elite runner and hesitates north to south way too much

I've seen Maroney do everything you've claimed he doesn't do. Your problem is that you just don't realize that Maroney is not a North/South Power Runner. He's a back who can run with power and there is a difference. Some people on this board have a hard time comprehending that.

BB and Pioli don't make alot of mistakes in the draft but they fu(ked up BIG time in round 1 of 2006 there instead of grabbing Addai or Jones-Drew ect;

Off course with Maroney lovers, its always the excuse that the OL was not playing well or LoMo was playing injured.

If the OL was so good as people say last season, Maroney should still have had something near a 1,000 yard rushing season - didn't happen

You're BS statement at the end is just more proof of how irrational you are.
The Pats O-line was very good. What you fail to take into consideration is that Maroney missed several games. You also don't take into consideration that, late in the season, the Pats faced off against 3 of the toughest running teams in the league and the Pats decided to THROW the ball almost exclusively.

Maroney had 185 carries for 835 yards (4.5 ypc). Thats with missing 3 games and being used only sparingly in 4 others because that's what the game plan called for. In the 1st 2 games of the play-offs, Maroney added another 244 yards on 47 carries (5.19 YPC). That is over 1000 yards and over 220 carries.

People need to stop acting like the play-offs don't exist and that the players don't take a beating then as well.

One word...YES!

Addai was good enough to make the Pro Bowl in 1 of his first 3 seasons - If Maroney ever makes it to Hawaii,its because he is on vacation with his family

*ROFLMAO* You're using a PRO-BOWL selection as a definition as to how good someone is? *ROFLMAO*

Give me a break. From 2001-2006 all Pats fans ever did was laugh at Pro bowl selections because it was well know that its just a popularity contest and doesn't really show who the BEST is.

So if you are a stats fanatic then the fact that Manning has better yardage passing and more TDs in the same time frame as Brady since 2001 makes Manning a better QB right? :rolleyes:

Stats never tell the whole picture

Neither do popularity contests.

Nor does Cherry-picking stats the way you have done.

Manning's individual stats may be better than Brady's, but everyone also knows that during that same time frame, Manning has had 2 of the best WRs in the game and one of the best RBs in the game while Brady has had to deal with a hodge podge up until last year.

In case you forgot, previous to Moe Lewis' MVP hit, BB had already designated Brady as the #2 QB for the NEP based on his pre-season play. We only carried 3 QBs that 2001 season.

Don't confuse him with facts, PWP. His head will likely :steamed:
He's already stated that the pick of Maroney is worse than Trevor Matich, Ken Sims, Reggie Dupard, and Chris Canty. Never mind picks like Chy Davidson and Pat Harlow.

Two words

Kenneth Simms

Not just a #1, THE #1

What do Kenny Simms and Dolly Parton have in common?

I thought about adding Simms but decided that he may not have been worth the #1 overall but he played long enough to be considered a legitimate NFL starter.

As for Katzenmoyer, if you consider LoMo a bust because of injuries he and Robert Edwards belong on the bust list also.

By the way,in case you forgot in 2001 it was a 4th QB on the roster that came in to replace the injured starter and we all know what happened there ....

So now, Tom Brady, the exception of exceptions, is the rule to prove that every unknown player must be better than the established veteran?????????

So now, Tom Brady, the exception of exceptions, is the rule to prove that every unknown player must be better than the established veteran?????????

No, but it proves that BB will not reserve a position for an injured vet. If the replacement can play, and plays better then the established player, he will get a fair shake at the job.

If BJGE plays better then his pay grade, I expect the pats to take a long hard look @ an increased role for him in the future. That may come at the expense of Jordon/Morris or LoMo.

I would be a little hesitant to anoint Green-Ellis the next coming of Barry Sanders at this point.
Here we go again.

Everytime someone says a Patriot is doing well, out come the: "He isn't {insert the name of the best player in NFL history at that position}" internegators.

BJGE isn't Barry Sanders. So? Who said he was?

People said he has shown himself to be of starting RB quality.

I do not see how anyone could have watched the last four games and not have come to the conclusion that BJGE so far has displayed the ability to be a starting RB.

Typical Pats fans ... a player can only be praised at the denigration of another.

Will never understand the blood lust for the failure(s) of Maroney and other popular whipping boys. Can't we just be happy that the team has an UDFA RB who is doing a great job in emergency duty?
:eat3::rocker:

Aside from a few decent games late last season (and much of it was due to the fact that defenses laid back to guard against the pass) - What have you seen from Maroney with the exception of a few flashes that makes you think he is anything more than garbage and one of the worst #1 picks in NE history?

He is injury prone and cannot take a direct hit,He does not bounce off defenders - Does not have the vision it takes for an elite runner and hesitates north to south way too much

BB and Pioli don't make alot of mistakes in the draft but they fu(ked up BIG time in round 1 of 2006 there instead of grabbing Addai or Jones-Drew ect;

Off course with Maroney lovers, its always the excuse that the OL was not playing well or LoMo was playing injured.

If the OL was so good as people say last season, Maroney should still have had something near a 1,000 yard rushing season - didn't happen

Why is it with you that every statement you make is extreme (i.e. no one ever played bad or has a flaw, they are garbage, worthless, a piece of shlt) yet anyone who disagrees with you is a (fillintheblank)lover?
Your example of Addai is awful, because he is having a terrible season after a just as terrible 2nd half of last season.
Measuring Maroney by whether he got 1000 yards while averaging 4.5 on the most prolific offense in NFL history, is a bizarre way to make your point.

I really dont see anyone making excuses here, but I see you revising history to make your point. I also see oyu making reverse excuses (the numbers suck but when they were good they dont count because the other team must have not been trying to stop the run) If you really want to make the point that Maroney had no good games, list the games where he got enough carries for it to be relevant (I could care less if he gained 3 yards in a game Brady torched the D for 55 points) and failed. Also list the good ones too, which are a lot more than you mentioned here.
If you want to compare Addai and Maroney, go ahead, at worst Maroney comes out even, if you are objective.

No, but it proves that BB will not reserve a position for an injured vet. If the replacement can play, and plays better then the established player, he will get a fair shake at the job.

If BJGE plays better then his pay grade, I expect the pats to take a long hard look @ an increased role for him in the future. That may come at the expense of Jordon/Morris or LoMo.

That never needed to be proven. Yes, anyone who outplays anyone else will get their job.
What I am saying is that it is not going to happen, because while I am thrilled that BJGE can do such a good job filling in, I do not see it veery likley that he can beat out Maroney.
Those that are advanicng this topicd today, are doing so because they want to trash Maroney and use the fact that he is injured as the reason he is no good.
If Maroney were healthy BJGEwouldn't be getting this chance, and if Maroney were only out instead of on IR, he would start when healthy, just like Jordan or Morris will.
Its great the Gree-Ellis did so well, its fantastic that our team is so deep.
But to annoint a guy a stud based on 1 100 yard game without chewing up the film and analyzing whether a good back would have gained 150, or an average back would have gained 65, or whatever the blocking and plays dictated is foolish.
It could well be that BJGE turned 65 blocked into 100 gained, or that he turned 150 blocked into 100 gained. I guarantee no one here has studied the tape thoroughly enough yet (if they ever do) to judge that.
Why not just accept that the guy at the end of the bench had a good game instead of trying to find the negative, which in this case can only be trashing the guy who wasnt out there????????????

It was also RIDICULOUS for us to think a 4th string QB would get the starter's job over a 1st round starter that was injured, but it happened.

If there is one thing I have learned from watching the pats over the BB years is he is a good judge of value. Who is a better value, BJGE, (who may not be the athlete or pure talent of Kool-aid) on a rook min salary, or LoMo, oft hurt and higher paid.

Pure talent wise, LoMo is the winner...value wise...not so sure.

I think that part of talent is producing on the field, not just looking good on paper. In that case BJGE looks better than Maroney in terms of producing and doing what the coaches want in their offensive system. So for us, doesn't that make him the more talented back? You'd have to be blind not to notice the difference in running styles. BJGE can rip off big gains from narrow openings. Unless Maroney sees a gap the size a truck can run through he tends to dance and get stopped for a loss in the backfield, that is when he's not running up the back of the OL in front of him!

Goodness forbid that a UDFA be given the chance to compete for a starting job over the savior all world runningback according to the Maroney Defender's Club! From the way they talk, the world might come to an end if BJGE is named a starter over Maroney. Gimme a break. If the kid is effective, let him tote the rock. Besides there's no guarantee that Maroney can even stay on the field. I think BJGE will be here to stay, especially if he can keep up this pace for the rest of the season!

I think that part of talent is producing on the field, not just looking good on paper. In that case BJGE looks better than Maroney in terms of producing and doing what the coaches want in their offensive system. So for us, doesn't that make him the more talented back? You'd have to be blind not to notice the difference in running styles. BJGE can rip off big gains from narrow openings. Unless Maroney sees a gap the size a truck can run through he tends to dance and get stopped for a loss in the backfield, that is when he's not running up the back of the OL in front of him!

Goodness forbid that a UDFA be given the chance to compete for a starting job over the savior all world runningback according to the Maroney Defender's Club! From the way they talk, the world might come to an end if BJGE is named a starter over Maroney. Gimme a break. If the kid is effective, let him tote the rock. Besides there's no guarantee that Maroney can even stay on the field. I think BJGE will be here to stay, especially if he can keep up this pace for the rest of the season!

Given the way you describe the problem, you have the correct answer. The problem is you are out of your mind with things like:

BJGE can rip off big gains from narrow openings. Unless Maroney sees a gap the size a truck can run through he tends to dance and get stopped for a loss in the backfield, that is when he's not running up the back of the OL in front of him!

Then you make yourself look like a buffoon by turning a dscussion about whether the unknown player has played well enough to challenge the established injured starter with:

Goodness forbid that a UDFA be given the chance to compete for a starting job over the savior all world runningback according to the Maroney Defender's Club! From the way they talk, the world might come to an end if BJGE is named a starter over Maroney. Gimme a break. If the kid is effective, let him tote the rock. Besides there's no guarantee that Maroney can even stay on the field. I think BJGE will be here to stay, especially if he can keep up this pace for the rest of the season

Try making your point instead of making up a silly motivation (FanClub) for those that disagree with you. No one else become wrong because you accuse them of being biased without showing how they are biased.

I thought about adding Simms but decided that he may not have been worth the #1 overall but he played long enough to be considered a legitimate NFL starter.

As for Katzenmoyer, if you consider LoMo a bust because of injuries he and Robert Edwards belong on the bust list also.

OK, but I don't consider LoMo a bust nor do I think of Edwards that way. Stuff happens.

Yes, Sims played but never played well. The Pats had a dearth of talent.

Last edited:
why does it matter who is playing on the o-line or how well they are playing.

Maroney will just run into the back of whom ever is playing on the o-line and fall down.

ha ha ha.....!!! :))

I think that BB's and Josh's indirect negative comments on RBs styles' speaks volumes. These guys don't 'accidently' say things. I think they're frustrated with Maroney's stubborn style vs his inherent talent. It's obvious from watching respective running styles that LoMo is executing the offense differently, and without exceptional results. As we've seen with Cassel, the Patriots offense is NOT one redesigned for each player.

I look for LoMo to have time to reflect on this battle of wills and hopefully to approach 2009 camp with a different style and thereafter benefit from his excellent athletic abilities.

I agree that he could contribute as our KR as well as RB in 2009.

I don't think that you can "coach" maroney's "style" out of him.....He is what he is....and either it works for your offense or it doesn't.....Now, Maroney may be able to be utilized as kind of a kevin faulk.....change of pace.....type of threat......and most especially IF he can learn to better catch the ball out of the backfield.....I DO NOT see him as an every down back option for this team any longer.....the dancing at the hole.........or slow hitting of the hole will not go away....it is his style and internal wiring....you can't change that....or "coach it out"........I hope he stays on in some capacity here because he has alot of fire and is a team player.....

I don't think that you can "coach" maroney's "style" out of him.....He is what he is....and either it works for your offense or it doesn't.....Now, Maroney may be able to be utilized as kind of a kevin faulk.....change of pace.....type of threat......and most especially IF he can learn to better catch the ball out of the backfield.....I DO NOT see him as an every down back option for this team any longer.....the dancing at the hole.........or slow hitting of the hole will not go away....it is his style and internal wiring....you can't change that....or "coach it out"........I hope he stays on in some capacity here because he has alot of fire and is a team player.....

And maybe just maybe we have tried and failed to adapt our OL blocking to match his talents. I don't think so, but there's good supporting evidence for this defensible hypothethis. Like many things, WE really don't know the answer.

Let's see what 2009 brings and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back