Could Cole Croston be an answer at OT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe not the answer, but an answer?

Could Patriots’ Unheralded, Undrafted Lineman Compete For Left Tackle Job?

He impressed enough in training camp and preseason that the Patriots carried him as an extra offensive lineman for the entire season. They didn’t want to expose Croston to waivers out of fear another team would claim him before he could hit their practice squad.

Note that he was a swing OL who could basically backup anywhere other than C.

How two Patriots cornerbacks from different eras made a connection

Don’t sleep on the 6-foot-5, 315-pound Croston, who caught offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia’s attention with his combination of smarts, toughness and athleticism, making a legitimate push for the top spot. He could be the next undrafted blocker to develop and take on a larger role on the line, following the likes of other School of Scarnecchia graduates Tom Ashworth, Stephen Neal, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Josh Kline and David Andrews.

Note, though, that except for Ashworth, all of those players played IOL for New England.

I just hope he's improved since this fateful day :)

Anything is impossible, it would be awesome if he did.

definitely possible. I guess he will have his shot this summer

If the question is "can he win the last spot as an all position backup who could be forced to play LT if at least two others go down" then yes.

He is highly rated. I am not sure if he is Cat like quick.

While Croston is not quite at Solder's level of quickness, the only OL currently on the Pats roster who have better shuttle or 3-cone times than Croston are Mason, Thuney and Tobin. Oh - and the Captain's favorite player, James Ferentz. At this year's Combine, only Miller and O'Neill beat Croston on both those measurements.

Croston's 1.72 10-yd split (same as Solder's) is behind only Andrews and Thuney at 1.71. Only Miller beat that.

I'd only go so far as to say that he appears to have the potential to be a viable candidate to start at tackle for the Pats this season, at least temporarily, and that he seems likely to be a fairly significant part of the solution at this point by default - if for no other reason than that he seems to be completely healthy. Long term? I have no clue.

While Croston is not quite at Solder's level of quickness, the only OL currently on the Pats roster who have better shuttle or 3-cone times than Croston are Mason, Thuney and Tobin. Oh - and the Captain's favorite player, James Ferentz. At this year's Combine, only Miller and O'Neill beat Croston on both those measurements.

Croston's 1.72 10-yd split (same as Solder's) is behind only Andrews and Thuney at 1.71. Only Miller beat that.
Thanks for the data. My red light lazer pen test should be incorporated into the combine.

My conclusion is that we should consider drafting Miller or O'Neill.

Croston winning the LT job would be more incredible than letting Revis, Browner & Arrington go & 2nd year Butler stepping up as a legit CB1.
Sort of. The only difference is that we at least saw something in Butler the previous season. He played very well in the limited duty he had and of course made the play of a lifetime in the Super Bowl. We haven't seen any promise in this tackle.

Sort of. The only difference is that we at least saw something in Butler the previous season. He played very well in the limited duty he had and of course made the play of a lifetime in the Super Bowl. We haven't seen any promise in this tackle.

That said, Scar et al. have seen far more.

I think they like Croston's versatility especially across the middle, but even as a spot starter at tackle in a pinch. He can play anywhere and is a lot like Dan Connolly in that regard, I don't think they want to give that up.

I think its Waddle's job to lose and he's a decent tackle but needs to stay healthy. They might draft one anyway depending on how Garcia looks. If Kolton Miller is staring at them at 31, they may not be able to pass him up.

My conclusion is that we should consider drafting Miller or O'Neill.

Miller has a bad set which will need to reworked. However not bad in the run game.

O’Neill is decent in pass protection, but a powderpuff in the run game.

Crosby is above average in the running game and benefited as a pass protector due to the Oregon quick strike pass game. But I like him best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3