PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Bailey Save Us a Roster Spot Next Year and Into the Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Bailey is turning into the story of the year for the Patriots. What an incredible athlete! BB has always lauded Johnny Hekker as the greatest punting weapon in the NFL. He has uncharacteristically publicly drooled over the guy for years. Now he actually has Hekker 2.0!!!!

He's already doing a great job on punts AND kickoffs.

The kid was hitting 50+ yard field goals in HS. Plus, this is the most athletic kicker we've ever had - - could be a weapon on fake punts also!

I love the Ghost, but he does have a high salary cap hit..........

Note closely: Currently, BB is not worried at all about having 2 fewer practice squad players than the team is allowed. Why not keep an insurance kicker and punter on the PS next year and save big on the cap for some other talent?

No. Because if he gets injured you’ve lost your placekicker as well as your punter.

Also, you then have to pull some other player out of their normal practice reps to be a holder.

Nice wham block....

No. Because if he gets injured you’ve lost your placekicker as well as your punter.

Also, you then have to pull some other player out of their normal practice reps to be a holder.

You didn't read my last paragraph before the videos.

Plenty of teams have the 2nd or 3rd string QB hold. Hell, the Cowboys were a playoff team with their 1st stringer as the holder (I don't recommend that).

You didn't read my last paragraph before the videos.

It's less about not having a body there to replace Bailey, but suddenly having to replace both your punter and kicker with players that aren't good enough to be poached to other team's 53. Too many eggs in one basket for what becomes the 53rd player on a roster (which is always changing anyway). Not to mention, though we take it for granted because "DUR DUR KICKERS AREN'T REAL PLAYERS", but kicking in the NFL is HARD. Even the best at their position (like Gost) have to take tons of reps all year long to stay sharp, and even they miss kicks. Suddenly you want one player splitting between punt and kick reps, and you don't think there'll be a drop off on either one.

I think you're trying to re-invent the wheel here.

It's less about not having a body there to replace Bailey, but suddenly having to replace both your punter and kicker with players that aren't good enough to be poached to other team's 53. Too many eggs in one basket for what becomes the 53rd player on a roster (which is always changing anyway). Not to mention, though we take it for granted because "DUR DUR KICKERS AREN'T REAL PLAYERS", but kicking in the NFL is HARD. Even the best at their position (like Gost) have to take tons of reps all year long to stay sharp, and even they miss kicks. Suddenly you want one player splitting between punt and kick reps, and you don't think there'll be a drop off on either one.

I think you're trying to re-invent the wheel here.

I'm not completely sold on the idea myself, but he certainly does add a few new options/wrinkles to team building strategies. Plus, given that he clearly shows some polished ballhandling/running moves in those vids - - the fake punt is now another arrow in the sack for the STs.

Opponents are going to actually have to spend time preparing for this guy. That's a great thing.

Yup. It’s a lot to risk just to save one roster spot.

It’s like when people wanted Nink to be the full time long snapper and risk having somebody else out there in a big moment.

the fake punt is now another arrow in the sack for the STs.

That would be one hell of a career ending injury :eek:

LMAO... wouldn't have to be an arrow either...

giphy.gif

You don't realize the importance of a great punter until you watch a game like SB 53. Or last Sunday. He's definitely a weapon.

No. Stop it.

I'm not completely sold on the idea myself, but he certainly does add a few new options/wrinkles to team building strategies. Plus, given that he clearly shows some polished ballhandling/running moves in those vids - - the fake punt is now another arrow in the sack for the STs.

Opponents are going to actually have to spend time preparing for this guy. That's a great thing.

I agree on that, but that's a separate argument. Using Bailey for fake punts isn't the same as using him for field goals.

Has any kicker or punter received any ROY votes and will Bailey get any?

I agree on that, but that's a separate argument. Using Bailey for fake punts isn't the same as using him for field goals.

The gist of the thread is basically how great it is that this guy can be used for alot more than just most punters.....He can also kick field goals if needed. Was hitting 50+ yarders in HS.

The title asks COULD he save a spot. He could, but I'm not sold whether it's advisable either.

Last edited:
Issues:
1) Installation of muscle memory will constantly be disrupted because of the 2 unique kicking motions
2) One injury would require 2 replacements from the #33-#infinity scrap pile
3) His inconsistent kickoffs do not support the narrative that he could be a consistent place kicker
4) His leg might fall off in training camp

The gist of the thread is basically how great it is that this guy can be used for alot more than just most punters.....

Apologies then. The thread title seemed to indicate otherwise.

Bailey is turning into the story of the year for the Patriots. What an incredible athlete! BB has always lauded Johnny Hekker as the greatest punting weapon in the NFL. He has uncharacteristically publicly drooled over the guy for years. Now he actually has Hekker 2.0!!!!

He's already doing a great job on punts AND kickoffs.

The kid was hitting 50+ yard field goals in HS. Plus, this is the most athletic kicker we've ever had - - could be a weapon on fake punts also!

I love the Ghost, but he does have a high salary cap hit..........

Note closely: Currently, BB is not worried at all about having 2 fewer practice squad players than the team is allowed. Why not keep an insurance kicker and punter on the PS next year and save big on the cap for some other talent?

No, you'd be asking for trouble carrying just one player for kicker and punter, even if you have guys waiting on the practice squad.

Say it's this point in the season next year and the Pats are playing a critical game for home field. Bailey injures himself on the opening kickoff. In the game of the year, you now have no kicker or punter.

I totally understand wanting that roster spot, but the odds of saving one through this scenario turning into a complete disaster are much higher than carrying 6 DL instead of 7.

No, you'd be asking for trouble carrying just one player for kicker and punter, even if you have guys waiting on the practice squad.

Say it's this point in the season next year and the Pats are playing a critical game for home field. Bailey injures himself on the opening kickoff. In the game of the year, you now have no kicker or punter.

I totally understand wanting that roster spot, but the odds of saving one through this scenario turning into a complete disaster are much higher than carrying 6 DL instead of 7.

Excellent point.

The missed FGs by having a K who is not professional quality costs more than the roster spot saves.

Has any kicker or punter received any ROY votes and will Bailey get any?
I don’t think they’d qualify in any category. There’s offensive and defensive rookie of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down