PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about everything they've done so far: bills passed, pursuing vaccines, cutting red tape, etc.

FDA update: eliminate outdated rules and beuracricies.
Clinical trials on way for therapies

Will use treatments and drugs that work from other countries if they work.
Talking about the malaria/ arthritis drug.

Its pretty silly to object to calling it the Wuhan Coranavirus. Given that, as far as we know, it did originate in Wuhan China.

I mean
Spanish flu - Wikipedia

racist?

Spanish Flu was tagged that way on purpose for reasons of deflection. Spain was the only one reporting cases as the rest of the world was too busy killing each other.

By the way, it's very possible "Spanish Flu" originated in france or on a pig farm in Kansas.

He needs to lay off the tanning beds for a while.

Hydroxicoloquine ??

So far all about FDA, treatments. Vaccines, etc.

Barely mention legislation, just that they are working hard and together (Rs and Ds) to make financial aid package happen.

FDA Commissioner on, seems like a good guy (cancer Dr.)

Here's a comparison of the path of the Trump Virus cases in US versus other countries. It's looking more like Italy than So Korea.

View attachment 26417

The US number is many times that, of course, and looks low only because we're not testing. It's a pretty good bet that there are several times that number right in New York City.

Compare to South Korea, which is reporting slightly more cases than we are (which will change dramatically in the next few days). Both countries, US and SK saw their first cases within a day apart.

SK had a test developed and in the field within a week, began cluster testing hot spots, even general population, and isolating identified people/areas immediately.

Compare the US military in SK, under local command, to the US military here. The difference is rather dramatic.

The only reason why Washington State didn't do a lot of testing after the test developed in a flu study there identified the first person in the US is because the Feds told the Washington lab to stop testing, under threat.

It didn't have to get this bad, with distancing and quarantining nationwide all at once, but without the testing, this is the only alternative - to tell everyone, as the Surgeon General did this morning - to act as if they're infected.

I have no doubt that the decisions to not test were economic at the source - fear of creating panic and hurting the market. That decision, for several weeks, is why we're right where we are now.

Everything I read says FDA royally screwed up at the beginning of this and one of the reasons test kits (non CDC) didn't start to come out until a month after 1st case, versus in So Korea in about 7 days.

Talking about record time in development of a vaccine. FDA is all hsnds on deck. Blah blah

Stop letting the media gaslight you. Their "rules for thee, not for me" BS needs to end.
Watch: 35 Times The Media Said ‘Wuhan’ Or ‘Chinese Coronavirus’ – But They Blame The GOP

Is it possible to use a given term and then realize after the fact that it wasn't appropriate? Happens all the time.

I don't mean to pretend that all media entities/members are saints, obviously they are not, and there is rampant incompetence and corruption in the media, much like any profession or institution. But it's not incompatible to at one point use a given term and later decide that isn't an appropriate thing to say.

And that's not touching on the fact that the situation *now* is very different than it was 2-3 months ago. Using "Chinese" or "Wuhan" 3 months ago would've made more sense, because at that time the virus was largely isolated (geographically) to China, so there is value in that language. Now the virus is geographically everywhere, so the value in using that term to describe the virus from a geographic standpoint isn't there anymore (other than to describe its origin). Situations change.

I don't understand why people changing their behavior or evolving is considered a negative in every instance.

I'm sure a lot of media members used that term initially, were told it wasn't a great look, and changed their behavior. No one would have an issue with the president or other politicians if they did the same.

Imagine if Trump said the following:

"In the past I have used the term "Chinese" to describe the Corona virus. While COVID did originate in China, the virus now exists across the world. Although it was not my intent, I can understand how specifically describing it as a "Chinese" virus could create racial animus among certain people. Moving forward I will refer to the virus as "COVID" or "Corona". With that said, the Chinese government acted in corrupt and malicious ways at various stages of this pandemic, and my administration will be addressing their wrongdoing at an appropriate time".

Last edited:
Pence: working hard, etc.
Spoke with Drs and nurses
State and local officials
Last nights bill signed
Senate wotking on economic response
FEMA to take the lead on response.
Testing increasing every day.

A lot of the new data is sensible and positive. Lower rates in Korea and China. This means a projected end to this. IMO. Also the data in that princess Cruise article. 83 % of people on ship didn't get it despite ideal conditions for spread. Plus half who tested positive had no symptoms.

Soon people need to stop freaking out about this. It's a nasty virus for some..

question. Who hasn't had a nasty virus? Cough cough... Swollen throat? I once went to doctor because I couldn't swallow. It went away. If I was 80 maybe it would have killed me. Woweee.. now we shut down the world. Brilliant.

Working on supplies, what's available in the private sector. Sale of industrial masks directly to hospitals.
Construction companies chevking supplies and donating masks
Ventilators: identified 10s of thousands that can be converted.

A lot of the new data is sensible and positive. Lower rates in Korea and China. This means a projected end to this. IMO. Also the data in that princess Cruise article. 83 % of people on ship didn't get it despite ideal conditions for spread. Plus half who tested positive had no symptoms.

Soon people need to stop freaking out about this. It's a nasty virus for some..

question. Who hasn't had a nasty virus? Cough cough... Swollen throat? I once went to doctor because I couldn't swallow. It went away. If I was 80 maybe it would have killed me. Woweee.. now we shut down the world. Brilliant.

are you completely unaware of what’s going on in Italy or no

there were too many people in Italy that thought similarly to the way you are right now

Dr. Brix
Dramatic increase due to increased testing
Moving thru delayed test results
# of test positives is increasing
10-11 % test positive rates
Over 50% cases come from 3 states

are you completely unaware of what’s going on in Italy or no

there were too many people in Italy that thought similarly to the way you are right now
He doesn’t care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand