PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cop to Ryan Moats: "Attitute is everything"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nurses are telling the cop that the woman is dying and they need Moats signature to resuscitate her.. The cop says, 'yeah, I'm almost done'.. the tape goes for 17 minutes before Moats is let go.. And the cop has the attitude right to the end.. Hope he gets fired.. I'm sure he had no idea it would get all this attention.. and it probably wouldn't if Moats wasn't an NFL player..

And here's the press conference where the police chief calls the cop's behavior 'very embarrassing'..

Video On Demand: Latest News Video | WFAA.com

Re: OT: ryan moats told by cop 'attitude is everything'

No, sorry, I think you are wrong.

If you put on your hazards and are in an emergency, you may pass on a red light AFTER YIELDING. The story claims that Moats yielded and then proceeded to pass the stop light. Policemen need to make sure that they spend just as much time "serving and protecting" as they do giving people hard times.

Uhh...what? That is a very bizarre little myth you are quoting.

Police chief acknowledges the cop's attitude was inappropriate and his lack of compassion was alarming. Looks like the guy will be fired..

He should be fired. He sounds like a ******* ******. Maybe he can get a job with Reno 9-1-1, that's about all he seems qualified for.

There is an incredibly heartbreaking element to this story that is somewhat glossed over in the article.

The dying woman's father was detained along with Moats. By the time they were allowed to rejoin their family, she had already passed.

A man was not allowed to say goodbye to his own child, and he wasn't even the driver of the vehicle!

[“My understanding is that Officer Powell, even when he saw the videotape, believed he had not acted inappropriately," Kunkle said. ]

That police officer needs to be fired. Sounds like a CLEAR bigot and a racist, who even now does not understand what he did was wrong.

From his pic he looks like one of those losers in HS who becomes a cop to get some power. The fact he pulled a gun on Moats and his wife and threatened them with jail and other threats, also suggests this.

It is a tragedy that Moats and the father of the dying woman both arrived too late and that the woman had already passed when they got there.

Last edited:
Dallas police are freaking a-holes!

That's not true at all!! You show me the statute that allows that, in ANY state. The only vehicles who can be "in an emergency" are emergency vehicles, and they have to display proper lighting (flashing or rotating reds or blues per DOT standards, though some states restrict which vehicles can show blues versus reds). Your hazard lights do not in any way allow you to violate traffic laws, they exist for when you're broken down and want to warn motorists. Even a tow truck, displaying flashing/rotating amber lights, isn't deemed an emergency vehicle. The cop clearly had a chip on his shoulder and that needs to be addressed, but people like you having misconceptions about the law are also a problem. Something isn't a law just because you think it's right.

There's no legal issue here, the only issue is the cop's lack of professionalism.

There are so many laws on the books that everyone of us are considered criminals in everyday life.

I believe that common sense is more important...

Shouldn't a gun really be a last resort kind of thing? Rather than your first port of call any time something gets a little hairy?

I dunno, it just seems bizarre to me to pull a gun out on somebody running a red light.

yeah, I was expecting another taser death...:rolleyes:

There is an incredibly heartbreaking element to this story that is somewhat glossed over in the article.

The dying woman's father was detained along with Moats. By the time they were allowed to rejoin their family, she had already passed.

A man was not allowed to say goodbye to his own child, and he wasn't even the driver of the vehicle!

:agree: At least her daughter escaped and was by her mom's bedside when she died, but not due to any compassion on the part of the cop; Moat's wife had to literally flee that debacle in order to go in
He ordered Tamishia Moats, 27, to get back in the SUV, but after pausing for a few seconds, she and another woman rushed into the hospital. She was by the side of her mother, 45-year-old Jonetta Collinsworth, when she died a short time later from breast cancer.
"Get in there," said Powell, yelling at Tamishia Moats as she exited the vehicle. "Let me see your hands!"
"Excuse me, my mom is dying," Tamishia Moats said. "Do you understand?"

At least there was that, but no such luck for Moats and his father-in-law. By the time the cop finished his business the mother was dead.

Whatever happened to human compassion and common decency:(

Is this surprising? For every good cop, there's a **** load of them that do their job the wrong way. I'm not surprised to hear about it, cops do **** like that constantly.
i think it's more like for every bad cop there's a ****load of good ones

we hear about the bad apples, they make the headlines more than the good

[“My understanding is that Officer Powell, even when he saw the videotape, believed he had not acted inappropriately," Kunkle said. ]

That police officer needs to be fired. Sounds like a CLEAR bigot and a racist, who even now does not understand what he did was wrong.

From his pic he looks like one of those losers in HS who becomes a cop to get some power. The fact he pulled a gun on Moats and his wife and threatened them with jail and other threats, also suggests this.

It is a tragedy that Moats and the father of the dying woman both arrived too late and that the woman had already passed when they got there.

Just curious, but where are you getting that the cop is a racist bigot?

Is this surprising? For every good cop, there's a **** load of them that do their job the wrong way. I'm not surprised to hear about it, cops do **** like that constantly.

Wow. You seem to be a terminal jerk.

How do you know cops do things like this all the time?

Last edited:

How do you know cops do things like this all the time?

He doesn't. He's either a dumb kid or an idiot that has repeated run ins with the cops.

Obviously that cop was an a-hole and obviously he's going to pay for it. That doesn't mean ALL cops are bad and the class shown by Moats under so much duress shows that not all "detainees" or whatever we should call them, are slimedog criminals either.

In many ways I feel for law enforcement and anyone who knows a member of that group well understands that pov. I can't even imagine having to deal with what they deal with every day,every night. See what they see, try to enforce law and order within the boundaries set forth by the powers that be.

In all honesty our system puts them in an almost impossible situation and sometimes,given the present state of this country, I'm going to guess this type of thing happens more than we think and quite honestly I don't envy it at all. They just buried those Oakland policemen.

There's more of this type of thing happening everywhere and hopefully this tragedy brings that to light. The way this cop handled that situation is downright scary and even worse probably not an isolated incident.

Police officers are simply human beings. They vary.

I once found myself deep in labor, my doctor had advised me to head to the hospital immediately, but when I got to the hospital there was a police barricade because of an emergency nearby. (There was no danger.) I tried to explain to an officer why I needed to enter the hospital, but he wouldn't have any of it. He was a young guy, bristling with self-importance, and when I tried to ask him what I was supposed to about the impending birth he just kept saying "this is a POLICE area! everyone step back!" Then an older female officer saw us and came over and said "are you kidding? look at her!" and told me to go ahead to labor and delivery. Last I saw, the young blowhard was hanging his head sheepishly like a little kid.

So as I say, just human beings. In Moats' case, it seems like the particular human being was the type who pumps himself by demonstrating his authority over others. We've all met teachers, coaches, managers etc. with the same unfortunate tendency.

I just read that this same cop had an incident with Zach Thomas' wife last summer:

"The Dallas Morning News reported that Maritza Thomas, wife of former Dallas Cowboys linebacker Zach Thomas, was handcuffed and spent approximately three hours in jail after Powell pulled her over for an illegal U-turn in July 2008.

Four of the five tickets issued against Maritza Thomas were later dropped, including failure to show proof of insurance, running a red light, improper address on driver's license and not having a registration sticker on the windshield. She accepted deferred adjudication for the illegal U-turn charge, and her record will be cleared next month."

Zach Thomas is white.. not sure if his wife is.. If she is, at least it shows the cop isn't racist.. He'll use his 'power' to screw with anyone..

Zach Thomas is white.. not sure if his wife is.. If she is, at least it shows the cop isn't racist.. He'll use his 'power' to screw with anyone..

She is what I or most people in this country would call Hispanic. Some hispanics or latinos characterize themselves as white or <country of origin> however.

For those reading into this a bit of racism, that's what I got from the comment "attitude is everything" and listening to Moats. If the officer had lectured in that fashion to a white male like me, acting as Moats was, everyone would be questioning the officer's grip on reality instead of accusing him of really bad judgment.

I don't mean to suggest this guy is a klan member or all white officers are insane, just that you can see the strain of "angry black male has no good reason for doing what he's doing, and might explode in black rage."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes