PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cop to Ryan Moats: "Attitute is everything"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: ryan moats told by cop 'attitude is everything'

This has very little to do with football so I'm guessing it will be moved, by my two cents are that both the cop and the driver were a bit out of line. Running lights and stop signs presents a safety issue, even you have a legitimate reason for needing to get somewhere fast. On the other hand, you could hear Moats being cooperative with the cop, who kept reminding him about how much he could screw up his day by arresting him. Also, once hospital security, and the other police officer came down to back up Moats' story, he should have been let go. If the officer still wanted to ticket him, he had the option of mailing the ticket. I'm guessing the officer was within the law, but he needs to be coached on how to de-escalate, rather than escalate, a situation.

Last edited:

Quite aggravating to be honest.

Amazed at how calm Ryan was.

But I guess he was forced to be calm because the cop was pointing a gun at his family. What a racist moronic kid, now a cop....disgusting.:mad:

Last edited:

Running lights and stop signs presents a safety issue, even you have a legitimate reason for needing to get somewhere fast.

No, sorry, I think you are wrong.

If you put on your hazards and are in an emergency, you may pass on a red light AFTER YIELDING. The story claims that Moats yielded and then proceeded to pass the stop light. Policemen need to make sure that they spend just as much time "serving and protecting" as they do giving people hard times.

If you put on your hazards and are in an emergency, you may pass on a red light AFTER YIELDING. The story claims that Moats yielded and then proceeded to pass the stop light. Policemen need to make sure that they spend just as much time "serving and protecting" as they do giving people hard times.

Is this surprising? For every good cop, there's a **** load of them that do their job the wrong way. I'm not surprised to hear about it, cops do **** like that constantly.

This sounds like the moron cop in my state that insisted on seeing the very pregnant, on the point of delivering woman's belly to prove she was pregnant. He made her and her husband wait while he wrote out a ticket.
KNX - Pregnant Woman Cited by Cop En Route to Hospital

Both this guy and the cop that lectured and ticketed Moats must have scored in the high 700s on their National Sphincter Exams.

Last edited:

If you put on your hazards and are in an emergency, you may pass on a red light AFTER YIELDING.
That's not true at all!! You show me the statute that allows that, in ANY state. The only vehicles who can be "in an emergency" are emergency vehicles, and they have to display proper lighting (flashing or rotating reds or blues per DOT standards, though some states restrict which vehicles can show blues versus reds). Your hazard lights do not in any way allow you to violate traffic laws, they exist for when you're broken down and want to warn motorists. Even a tow truck, displaying flashing/rotating amber lights, isn't deemed an emergency vehicle. The cop clearly had a chip on his shoulder and that needs to be addressed, but people like you having misconceptions about the law are also a problem. Something isn't a law just because you think it's right.

There's no legal issue here, the only issue is the cop's lack of professionalism.

Last edited:

This has very little to do with football so I'm guessing it will be moved, by my two cents are that both the cop and the driver were a bit out of line. Running lights and stop signs presents a safety issue, even you have a legitimate reason for needing to get somewhere fast. On the other hand, you could hear Moats being cooperative with the cop, who kept reminding him about how much he could screw up his day by arresting him. Also, once hospital security, and the other police officer came down to back up Moats' story, he should have been let go. If the officer still wanted to ticket him, he had the option of mailing the ticket. I'm guessing the officer was within the law, but he needs to be coached on how to de-escalate, rather than escalate, a situation.

Sorry dude, but if my mother is dying then I'm running that red light... safety be damned.

The cop was a full on ******** in this case (as the vast majority of young cops are). "I could really screw you over on this one", just SMACKS of someone who never really was anything growing up and is using what power he has in order to "get back" at society. Look at the cop's age and you have all you need to know. A veteran, in most cases, would never act like that.

Seems a bit extreme to pull out a gun on him... not as if he was a violent criminal.

Stories like this make me glad our cops don't carry guns.

Sorry dude, but if my mother is dying then I'm running that red light... safety be damned.
Me too, but if I ran into a d**khead cop, I'd fully expect to get a ticket, because legally I'd be in the wrong. On the other hand, if you really mean "safety be damned", then you'd deserve to get locked up if you got pulled over. What would happen if your reckless driving put somebody else's mother in the hospital?

The cop was a full on ******** in this case (as the vast majority of young cops are). "I could really screw you over on this one", just SMACKS of someone who never really was anything growing up and is using what power he has in order to "get back" at society. Look at the cop's age and you have all you need to know. A veteran, in most cases, would never act like that.
Couldn't agree more, the cop was penny wise and pound foolish. And now he's riding the desk.

Last edited:

Seems a bit extreme to pull out a gun on him... not as if he was a violent criminal.

Stories like this make me glad our cops don't carry guns.
Yeah, cops here are too quick to rely on their guns, in my opinion. Then again, in most states failure to yeld means it becomes a felony stop, and most depts' procedures are to conduct those with backup at gunpoint. Funny that he didn't call for backup, though, makes me think he didn't really think this guy was fleeing.

Last edited:

really? thats the first time i ever hear of that...r u sure?

and both parties (as usual) at at fault here.....first of ryan didnt stop the car after the cops lights came on for a while....until he got to the hospital in fact (which is understandable, but reason for the cop to put a gaurd on)

and after finally stopping, getting out of the car is a very bad idea, the cop who is already wary (but should have realized something was up since the vehicle was going to the hospital) takes his gun out, which makes sense

the cop though should have let the woman go after she said why when she got out, after all, only the driver concerns the cop b/c of a red light, everyone else he should have let go into the hospital

after getting out and pleading w/ the cop though, the first woman got very argumentative and even acted threateningly until she got pulled back by the other lady.....she should have just gone to her mother, not started threatening the cop at that point

however, at the end, when others verified the story of the dying mother in law, the cop had only one thing to do, forget the ticket, forget the light, forget the parking...let the people go up and see their dying family member....this would have all been a non issue if the cop had done that, but at that point he was indesputably on the wrong......

(p.s. ryan was probably as cool as one could be at that point, maybe a little less demanding at the beginning, but he calmed himself down when the cop was being unreasonable, and thats a credit to him)

Yeah, cops here are too quick to rely on their guns, in my opinion. Then again, in most states failure to yeld means it becomes a felony stop, and most depts' procedures are to conduct those with backup at gunpoint. Funny that he didn't call for backup, though, makes me think he didn't really think this guy was fleeing.

Shouldn't a gun really be a last resort kind of thing? Rather than your first port of call any time something gets a little hairy?

I dunno, it just seems bizarre to me to pull a gun out on somebody running a red light.

Shouldn't a gun really be a last resort kind of thing? Rather than your first port of call any time something gets a little hairy?

I dunno, it just seems bizarre to me to pull a gun out on somebody running a red light.

if u wathc the video, it sort of shows why the cop might pull the gun out, (and obviously wrong in this case) but in general ur right, they are too quick to go to it....

Me too, but if I ran into a d**khead cop, I'd fully expect to get a ticket, because legally I'd be in the wrong. On the other hand, if you really mean "safety be damned", then you'd deserve to get locked up if you got pulled over. What would happen if your reckless driving put somebody else's mother in the hospital?

I'd still take my chances... I would just look both ways before I ran the red light. ;)

I'd still take my chances... I would just look both ways before I ran the red light. ;)
I'm with you. But, in this case, at least one story I read stated that he did come to full stop at the light, the other driver waved him through, and he then proceeded through the red light. We're not talking about some dude screaming break-neck through a red light at 50 mph with no regard to human life.

What would happen if your reckless driving put somebody else's mother in the hospital?

I don't think this was ever an issue here. There was no traffic and another driver even waved him through the intersection. I could see if he was flying through red light after red light at a high rate of speed, but that isn't even the case here.

Here's the dashboard video from the cop's car.. What a prick he was..

Video On Demand: Latest News Video | WFAA.com

The nurses are telling the cop that the woman is dying and they need Moats signature to resuscitate her.. The cop says, 'yeah, I'm almost done'.. the tape goes for 17 minutes before Moats is let go.. And the cop has the attitude right to the end.. Hope he gets fired.. I'm sure he had no idea it would get all this attention.. and it probably wouldn't if Moats wasn't an NFL player..

This sounds like the moron cop in my state that insisted on seeing the very pregnant, on the point of delivering woman's belly to prove she was pregnant. He made her and her husband wait while he wrote out a ticket.
KNX - Pregnant Woman Cited by Cop En Route to Hospital

Both this guy and the cop that lectured and ticketed Moats must have scored in the high 700s on their National Sphincter Exams.

You DO realize that the woman had the baby FIVE HOURS after her husband was blasting to the hospital? That she was offered an ambulance but didn't want it? And the "two Troopers that waved her through" have never been located? Because they don't exist?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand