PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Contract Extension For Chung: Details To Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that Brady doesn't care much about his APY at this point, his average over the past 18 years is nearly $11M. His total earnings are now over $192M in real money.

His salary is "only" $15M, but his current APY for the remainder of his contract is $22M, including signing bonus. That's a bit more than "backup money".
Yeah, but Ivan’s got a point that attempting to pay Brady a reasonable salary has gotten a bit harder, lately. The new deals for mediocre talent certainly isn’t helping things.

Anything less than around 25m a year may seem like an insult. It’s almost as if they’d need that as a starting point, especially after these recent deals and even more so if Rodgers signs his new pact, soon. This situation is going to be interesting.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Ivan’s got a point that attempting to pay Brady a reasonable salary has gotten a bit harder, lately. The new deals for mediocre talent certainly aren’t helping things.

Anything less than around 25m a year may seem like an insult. It’s almost as if they’d need that as a starting point, especially after these recent deals and even more so if Rodgers signs his new pact, soon. This situation is going to be interesting.

Yeah, I understand that Ivan was exaggerating (a bit) calling $22M (or was it the $15M salary?) "backup money". OTOH, if "APY" is really an issue for Brady (and I'm pretty sure he cares way more about the guaranteed money), that can be easily fixed with a 2-year extension that tacks a couple meaningless high salary years onto the end of his current deal while converting his 2018 and 2019 salaries into signing bonus (new guaranteed money).

Yeah, I understand that Ivan was exaggerating (a bit) calling $22M (or was it the $15M salary?) "backup money". OTOH, if "APY" is really an issue for Brady (and I'm pretty sure he cares way more about the guaranteed money), that can be easily fixed with a 2-year extension that tacks a couple meaningless high salary years onto the end of his current deal while converting his 2018 and 2019 salaries into signing bonus (new guaranteed money).
In my opinion, we can all talk in different threads about who is going to play LT or who is going to be the CB2 etc, but the two biggest keys to winning or losing this offseason lie in the situations of Brady and Gronkowski, and we’re all still waiting for some good news there. If they can iron out those issues (likely with some extensions like you’ve proposed, obviously including some new guaranteed dough), then we can all take a nice deep breath about the state of the team both now and for the immediate future.

If that doesn’t happen, we could be looking at final years from one or both, and that’s if Gronkowski even plays. I realize all of the other stuff is important and I’m genuinely interested in the “key” signings of Jason McCourty and Tobin, but we need some positive developments on the more important business. If not, a lot of people are going to be kicking themselves for moving on from Garoppolo, which may even be happening on some level. Had they at least waited until FA, they may have had some hints of what’s currently going on, even if it would’ve meant a 3rd rounder next year instead of a 2nd this year. Mr. “4 or 5 more years” suddenly disappeared overnight and was replaced by a passive aggressive dude who basically openly threatened to quit in so many words at the end of his documentary. I really don’t give a damn about Andrew Jelks at the moment if you catch my drift. They need to make this right.

Had they at least waited until FA, they may have had some hints of what’s currently going on, even if it would’ve meant a 3rd rounder next year instead of a 2nd this year. Mr. “4 or 5 more years” suddenly disappeared overnight and was replaced by a passive aggressive dude who basically openly threatened to quit in so many words at the end of his documentary.

I am not sure what that would have changed. While the fans and media might be surprised about some of the prices that are paid in FA I doubt that BB & co were. I dont think there was any value in hanging on to JG until this offseason.

The only scenario that would have screwed us royally (and apparently almost happened) was if Brady got injured down the stretch and we were left with Hoyer instead of JG as backup.

Ultimately even if Brady would have shown the same passive aggressiveness I am not sure anything would have changed about the course with Brady as QB and JG gone in FA. And taking everything into consideration (salary, level of play..) hanging on to TB might be the better decision for the team if you look at it in a 2-3 year window.

I wonder how much the situation would have actually escalated if they traded Brady (and Guerrero) away and Gronk was left here without his "new favorite doctor" and with that contract.

Ultimately even if Brady would have shown the same passive aggressiveness I am not sure anything would have changed about the course with Brady as QB and JG gone in FA. And taking everything into consideration (salary, level of play..) hanging on to TB might be the better decision for the team if you look at it in a 2-3 year window.
That’s the thing, though. We keep assuming a 2-3 year window which doesn’t even start until this upcoming fall, and it may not end up being that. Had Brady made his comments in the documentary and shown his hints of displeasure, there may have been some deeper consideration given to franchising Garoppolo at 22m, and seeing how the upcoming year played out. It’s doubtful, but his comments may have given pause.

As we all know, that would’ve been a bad look for the overall makeup of the team in relation to the salary cap because they would’ve had to make some other moves that would’ve had a detrimental effect, but it’s certainly possible that they may have given it more consideration. Brady’s attitude and talk of 4-5 more years at the time was night and day different from what’s been hinted at lately.

That’s the thing, though. We keep assuming a 2-3 year window which doesn’t even start until this upcoming fall, and it may not end up being that. Had Brady made his comments in the documentary and shown his hints of displeasure, there may have been some deeper consideration given to franchising Garoppolo at 22m, and seeing how the upcoming year played out. It’s doubtful, but his comments may have given pause.

As we all know, that would’ve been a bad look for the overall makeup of the team in relation to the salary cap because they would’ve had to make some other moves that would’ve had a detrimental effect, but it’s certainly possible that they may have given it more consideration. Brady’s attitude and talk of 4-5 more years at the time was night and day different from what’s been hinted at lately.

I totally get your point. I am just looking at it pragramatically. I dont see how the team with JG would be in a better shape just because of all the cap related issues it would bring. I guess you could structure around it for a year or two but in the end the bill will come down.

And to be fair for all we know Brady could have always been this passive aggressive person but it just got enhanced because he has been living more visibly the last two years. What it comes down to is that I think he (and BB) can compartamentalize a lot of this during the season and focus on the challenge ahead. Once the lack of football creates a void this might become more of an issue though..

Reported extension would be 3.8M apy . so normally that should lower his cap hit (currently 3.8M).

Don't worry too much about cap though. If they'll need it they can create more. They are not signing OBJs..

Howe may have this wrong, but, if correct, it's actually an increase in Chung's2018 cap hit of $1.6M.

In my opinion, we can all talk in different threads about who is going to play LT or who is going to be the CB2 etc, but the two biggest keys to winning or losing this offseason lie in the situations of Brady and Gronkowski, and we’re all still waiting for some good news there. If they can iron out those issues (likely with some extensions like you’ve proposed, obviously including some new guaranteed dough), then we can all take a nice deep breath about the state of the team both now and for the immediate future.

If that doesn’t happen, we could be looking at final years from one or both, and that’s if Gronkowski even plays. I realize all of the other stuff is important and I’m genuinely interested in the “key” signings of Jason McCourty and Tobin, but we need some positive developments on the more important business. If not, a lot of people are going to be kicking themselves for moving on from Garoppolo, which may even be happening on some level. Had they at least waited until FA, they may have had some hints of what’s currently going on, even if it would’ve meant a 3rd rounder next year instead of a 2nd this year. Mr. “4 or 5 more years” suddenly disappeared overnight and was replaced by a passive aggressive dude who basically openly threatened to quit in so many words at the end of his documentary. I really don’t give a damn about Andrew Jelks at the moment if you catch my drift. They need to make this right.

I’m not the least bit worried when it comes to Brady’s approach and effort. I think they will get an extension done but it’s never going to effect his work ethic or performance. I think he’s shown for long enough that he is driven to greatness and he will never allow anything to get in the way of that. His ability to compartmentalize is second to none, and while he may be sick of Belichick to some degree it won’t effect him at all once he starts preparing for the season. It will be interesting, however, to see if Gronk takes Amendola’s place in the Brady offseason workouts. Gronk, at least imo, is by for the morecworrisome one when it comes to allowing his issues with Belichick and his pay to affect his preparation.

One of the best career turnarounds I’ve seen is him coming back to the team in 2014 after his terrible year in Philly. Just to get a perspective, here we’re some quotes reacting to him being brought back: (will keep anonymous, since most of us felt this way)

“Why, just why.”

“I hope he's cut in TC. Saw a mock draft today that had Pryor falling all the way to 29 for the Patriots. I would LOVE for that to happen.”

“Maybe the team feels it's important for Tavon Wilson's self-esteem that he knows there's someone he can beat out at safety?”

“Please tell me this is a f******ing joke!”

“An offseason that started with a bang has been followed by some borderline terrible ideas. Chung sucked when he was here. He sucked even harder in Philly. Does the team think that he's somehow not going to suck now that he's back here?”

You get the idea.

Eh, BB himself even admitted that they misused Chung the first time he was here. Take it up with him.

I THINK we have to assume a separation of Brady's words and actions. I haven't seen the show, but if he's musing about retirement I would look at that as post-Super Bowl loss venting, really. And I assume that's all.

If Brady were to retire now, or after next year, it would be a huge slap in the face to the team and its fans. No way I see him doing that.

(I have no clue what Gronk is doing. Probably something similar, but it's Gronk so it comes out all weird and Gronky.)

Howe may have this wrong, but, if correct, it's actually an increase in Chung's2018 cap hit of $1.6M.

Not necessarily - he's saying that he's *earning* $5.4M in 2018. Here's overthecap's breakdown of his current deal:
Patrick Chung Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

New deal could be structured as: keeping $400K roster bonus, reducing 2018 base salary to $1M, eliminating the $600K in "other" bonus, and paying him a $4M signing bonus. That's $5.4M in cash for 2018 - his "earning" $5.4M. From a cap perspective, that would be $3.53M for 2018 ($1M base plus $4M / 3 years signing bonus plus $0.4M roster bonus plus $0.8 prior signing bonus). That's a reduction of $270K in 2018 cap charges.

So it depends on the structure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back