PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congrats...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillloyd

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Congrats on the win in an absolutely crazy game.

My thoughts:

• For about 60 seconds, the game seemed to play out exactly to my ‘best scenario’ prediction (all the way down to the final 31-27 score ;). Pitt was able to play ball control successfully, and while neither defense really stopped the other, Pitt was able to get just enough pressure to keep TB from completely going off.
  • I thought Pitt pretty much went all-in on the man coverage concept, which was pretty courageous considering their injuries in the secondary (as well as the youth that would be playing). Obviously Brady figured it out by the end of the game (throw at Sean Davis!), but I don’t really have a problem with it even with Gronk shredding it in the 4th quarter. This was a good enough effort to get a W, it just didn’t work out in the end.
  • I’ve never liked the catch rule when it comes to breaking the plane; I’ve always thought it’s a rule that just defies common sense. (I thought this well before the ruling tonight – the CJ and Dez and any number of other big calls in prior years didn’t make much sense either). I was surprised that it was overturned as I didn’t think it was necessarily ‘incontrovertible’ evidence – the ball moved, but I thought his hand remained underneath. BUT - bottom line, this wasn’t where the game was lost IMO – I thought Pitt was fortunate to be down at the goal line to begin with, and that the Steelers really lost it when they simply became too conservative in the prior series. Sort of a classic case of ‘playing not to lose’.
  • By the same token, I didn’t have a problem with Pitt throwing the play after the James catch was overturned – I felt that if Pitt kicked the FG and got to OT, Pitt probably loses. The Pats had the clear momentum. Now obviously the result was awful and the execution left something to be desired for Pittsburgh, but sometimes that’s the way the ball bounces. (In an alternate universe, maybe Pitt intercepts that batted ball on the previous Pats’ series lol)
  • It was hugely disappointing to see AB go out early – Pittsburgh seems snakebit when it comes to keeping all 3 of their ‘triplets’ on the field against the Pats. BUT…that disappointment was eclipsed by the fact that we got to see Shazier up in the booth…hopefully that’s a decent sign that maybe he’ll be able to walk again and lead a normal life, even if he never plays football again.

Anyway, what an amazing game. (I'll probably appreciate it more in a week or two lol).

I’m not sure if we’ll see you all later this year – Pitt has a steeper climb now with the loss and the AB injury – but good luck the rest of the way regardless.

Best wishes for Burkhead – that’s a player I always liked when he was with Cincy, hopefully it will be a case if it looking worse than what it actually is.

lillloyd

My thoughts:

• For about 60 seconds, the game seemed to play out exactly to my ‘best scenario’ prediction (all the way down to the final 31-27 score ;). Pitt was able to play ball control successfully, and while neither defense really stopped the other, Pitt was able to get just enough pressure to keep TB from completely going off.
  • I thought Pitt pretty much went all-in on the man coverage concept, which was pretty courageous considering their injuries in the secondary (as well as the youth that would be playing). Obviously Brady figured it out by the end of the game (throw at Sean Davis!), but I don’t really have a problem with it even with Gronk shredding it in the 4th quarter. This was a good enough effort to get a W, it just didn’t work out in the end.
  • I’ve never liked the catch rule when it comes to breaking the plane; I’ve always thought it’s a rule that just defies common sense. (I thought this well before the ruling tonight – the CJ and Dez and any number of other big calls in prior years didn’t make much sense either). I was surprised that it was overturned as I didn’t think it was necessarily ‘incontrovertible’ evidence – the ball moved, but I thought his hand remained underneath. BUT - bottom line, this wasn’t where the game was lost IMO – I thought Pitt was fortunate to be down at the goal line to begin with, and that the Steelers really lost it when they simply became too conservative in the prior series. Sort of a classic case of ‘playing not to lose’.
  • By the same token, I didn’t have a problem with Pitt throwing the play after the James catch was overturned – I felt that if Pitt kicked the FG and got to OT, Pitt probably loses. The Pats had the clear momentum. Now obviously the result was awful and the execution left something to be desired for Pittsburgh, but sometimes that’s the way the ball bounces. (In an alternate universe, maybe Pitt intercepts that batted ball on the previous Pats’ series lol)
  • It was hugely disappointing to see AB go out early – Pittsburgh seems snakebit when it comes to keeping all 3 of their ‘triplets’ on the field against the Pats. BUT…that disappointment was eclipsed by the fact that we got to see Shazier up in the booth…hopefully that’s a decent sign that maybe he’ll be able to walk again and lead a normal life, even if he never plays football again.

Anyway, what an amazing game. (I'll probably appreciate it more in a week or two lol).

I’m not sure if we’ll see you all later this year – Pitt has a steeper climb now with the loss and the AB injury – but good luck the rest of the way regardless.

Best wishes for Burkhead – that’s a player I always liked when he was with Cincy, hopefully it will be a case if it looking worse than what it actually is.

lillloyd

you're a pretty great football fan . and poster
kudos . an honor

best wishes for AB

Last edited:
Best wishes to AB, it was fun. Looking forward to round 2.

My thoughts:

lillloyd
Kudos to you for your post.
This finish will take a while to digest. Again, as I and others have stated before, your posts are a pleasure to read. A Real Football Fan imo.

Always cool to hear from you, lillloyd.

Agreed on the rule as of Dez's non-catch. Silly, much like the tuck rule. Right call, stupid rule.

I hope AB is okay, just as I hope Burkhead is not significantly damaged. You hate to see major players suffers injuries right before the playoffs, and they don't get much more major than AB.

Someone was going to suffer a gut punch in this game, After JuJu ripped off that catch and run, it felt like we were going to enjoy that unpleasant sensation after an improbable loss. The Steelers ran a good game plan and looked to earn the result. I was more than happy to take the result with the way things looked (although 28 seconds with 2 timeouts may have been an interesting exercise with Gronk and Brady on a roll).

The Bills aren't going to lie down after beating the Fish today, so that game could be a tough one as well. There may yet be another game between these two teams on the road for the Pats.

Here's hoping these teams stay healthy for the playoffs, however it turns out.

Your guys played great football today and almost pulled it out. Looked better for. Lot of that game. Not sure if the Steelers are ever going to get far with Tomlin and Haley. Atrocious playcalling at the end to JJSS's miracle.

I gotta say, for the first time in probably forever, I thought to myself, "The Steelers might be for real."

My thoughts:

lillloyd
Good post as usual. Hope to see your team in MA in January. Hope AB is ok and Shazier plays again

I gotta say, for the first time in probably forever, I thought to myself, "The Steelers might be for real."

I saw no difference.

They can't close the deal.

My thoughts:

lillloyd

Yeah good game. It's easy to critisize the catch rule but there's been an evolution to it and hence it's arrived where it is.

It was common to see receivers grab a ball in the end zone while falling out of the end zone, the juggling with it on the ground while sliding away and coming back with it and get ruled a TD. So they implemented the rule that you have to maintain complete possession all the way to the ground.

Remember when Calvin Johnson's TD was called back. He was falling while catching, then sitting on his bum and his other arm swung around and hit the floor and ball slipped out. He thought it was a TD but he needed to maintain possession all the way to the ground.

Week 1, 2010: Calvin Johnson's miraculous TD catch called back

So it was established that control has to be maintained all the way to the ground when you catch a ball while going to the ground. Then the Bryant controversy where he was going to the ground while catching and then extended to try cross the goal line, and ball popped up on hitting the ground. Since he hadn't completed a catch yet (by maintaining control all the way to the ground) he didn't have possession yet.

Did Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant catch it?

So basically today Jesse James caught the ball while going to the ground and didn't have possession yet when he broke the plane. And ball pops when he hits the ground. So correct overturn. It's not a catch since ball pops when his elbow hits the ground. He didn't maintain control all the way to the ground. Breaking the plane doesn't matter since he doesn't have possession yet.

Tony Corrente's explanation is consistent with my understanding and consistent with previous rulings. There's nothing controversial here.

Blandino and Pereira also confirm. Nothing new here. It's an incompletion.

And here's the official explanation from NFL . Same thing.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody likes the catch rule but it was called correctly.

It sucks you're down AB and Shazier but people forget the Patriots are down Edelman (best receiver), Hightower (best defender and most versatile), Branch (best interior lineman), Van Noy (best ILB), Hogan (absolutely torched Pitt last year in the playoffs), Ebner (one of the best special teamers in the league), Mitchell (good 3rd outside receiver), Bennett (a great second TE). Rewatch last year's playoffs and they don't win the SB without all of these guys.

Good game and good luck.

I’ve never liked the catch rule when it comes to breaking the plane

Breaking the plane has nothing to do with it. If he was trying to make a catch at midfield and did the exact same thing, it would be ruled incomplete, if called correctly.

the ball moved, but I thought his hand remained underneath.

It did move because his other hand came off the ball. It might pain you to do so but look at some of the replays. It's pretty clear.

the ball was clearly on the ground..find the GIF out there...not even an iffy call

Good post as usual. Hope to see your team in MA in January. Hope AB is ok and Shazier plays again
Although I agree with you, I hope Shazier doesn't play again.

And I say this not being a **** but for his health.

He's been known to lead with his head when tackling. He'd have to change the way he plays. Tough thing to do IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots