PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congrats Brees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason Cole seems to have a hard on for the Saints. It started with Reggie Bush and he still seems to write negative articles about them whenever he can.

The Saints got the ball with a 22 point lead, on the opponents 33-yard line, with less than 5 minutes remaining. They were also averaging close to 7-yards a game on the ground. They wanted to get Brees the record, and I have no problem with that, but it was absolutely ridiculous to claim before the fact that the record wasn't on their minds and that it wouldn't affect the gameplan whatsoever. They had like a 3 minute on-field celebration for it, it was kind of weird.

For all the 'running up the score' talk we got in 2007, I can't remember a single instance in which we had a 20+ point lead with 5 minutes to go and we still were throwing the ball on every down. That was mostly Kyle Eckel running up the gut time for us. We gave the other team about as good a chance of stopping us as we could, short of taking a knee.

Last edited:
The Saints got the ball with a 22 point lead, on the opponents 33-yard line, with less than 5 minutes remaining. They were also averaging close to 7-yards a game on the ground. They wanted to get Brees the record, and I have no problem with that, but it was absolutely ridiculous to claim before the fact that the record wasn't on their minds and that it wouldn't affect the gameplan whatsoever. They had like a 3 minute on-field celebration for it, it was kind of weird.

For all the 'running up the score' talk we got in 2007, I can't remember a single instance in which we had a 20+ point lead with 5 minutes to go and we still were throwing the ball on every down. That was mostly Kyle Eckel running up the gut time for us. We gave the other team about as good a chance of stopping us as we could, short of taking a knee.

I'm on the fence on this one.

Back in 07 folks boasted how TB achieved the 50 TD mark during the flow of the game and belittled Manning's 49 TD mark as it was done in garbage time. Whatever. That same team set the single-season scoring mark and many of those points came with the game already decided.

I have no issue with the way Brees' achieved the record. Big deal. He deserves it.

Right now Brady sits at 4897, 190 yards behind Brees. What if on Sunday Brady throws for 400 yds and plays the whole game in the process during a 49-17 win that was essentially decided in the 2nd qtr and Brees gets 209 in a hard fought game vs the Panthers.

Are people going to think less of the record because of the way Brady did it and not the way Brees' achieved it last night? What if Brees gets 211 yards? Is his record better? Seems silly to me.

Marino got his on Monday Night Football in the middle of the 4th qtr shootout with the Cowboys and the #1 seed in the AFC on the line. There was nothing cheap about that but in the end, a record is a record.

Last edited:
If Brees hits ~5400 yards it's every bit as impressive and yet still equally as unimportant, as Marino's. That's really about the difference percentage wise in Marino's record and in passing between 1984 and 2011, which is actually a lot less than the difference between the era of Joe Namath and Dan Marino. Dan Marino actually benefited a lot more during his era from the rule changes than the quarterbacks did during this era.

And the main difference between last year and this year, isn't because it got easier for offenses, it's actually because it got a bit harder. With the NFL changing the kick-off distance, it created more touchbacks.

More touchbacks means offenses have to travel a longer field to score on average. Hence, you got yardage increase. But the extra yardage isn't a result of the passing game getting easier. It's a result of it actually getting a bit harder compared to last year. So as long as Brees hits about ~5400 it's equally as impressive as what Dan Marino did in 1984.

I also don't understand the cry with defenses not being able to hit the quarterback after they throw the ball. It was dirty back then, and it's dirty now. The NFL didn't really take anything away from the defense with that one, except cheap shots. It made no difference in 1984. If you were good, you'd get the ball out before you got hit. In fact I'd argue it was probably an incentive to get it out even quicker.

......meanwhile.......Rodgers who's nailing all 4 categories much like Brady did in 2007 is getting so little coverage. Shame.

Last edited:
Jason Cole seems to have a hard on for the Saints. It started with Reggie Bush and he still seems to write negative articles about them whenever he can.

Maybe he's just sick of hearing about how "classy" they are. That's what happens when there's overkill...sentiment starts to sway. Blame the media, blame people for feeding into it....but Brees is just another precious sb celebration photo-op with his son from being a just an exceptional qb. Now he's a great guy and an exceptional qb. Whatever.

Go Pats!

Last edited:

The tales of the Pats running up the score in 2007 have become legendary. You listen to some opposing fans and they make it sound like we were up 50 points in every game throwing bombs to Moss in the 4th quarter, of course we know its hyperbole. I have no issue with what the Saints did last night aside from the calling the timeout to celebrate which I thought was a weird move. I DO have an issue with the Saints fans I know defending the accusations of running up the score, not because they are wrong because I agree with them, but because they sound like complete hypocrites after all the crap I heard from them in 07.

Also Peter King is reporting that they wanted to get the record out of the way because it was a gorilla in the locker room, so they were absolutely thinking about it.

The tales of the Pats running up the score in 2007 have become legendary. You listen to some opposing fans and they make it sound like we were up 50 points in every game throwing bombs to Moss in the 4th quarter, of course we know its hyperbole.

The home game against the Redskins was the worst offense. I'm not one to complain about piling on the points though. My response to the defense is ...... "YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN STOP 'EM".

The home game against the Redskins was the worst offense. I'm not one to complain about piling on the points though. My response to the defense is ...... "YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN STOP 'EM".

I also don't understand why it's just the offense that's supposed to let up. I mean if the game is decided and you're worrying about the other team's feelings shouldn't your defense let em score a few easy points too? Why should the defense of the other team be the only ones who's feelings are spared?

On Breaking Dan Marino's most passing yards record. And way to credit your teammates for it. Very classy. I'm guessing Marino didn't credit his teammates when he got the record.

Now if only TFB would get 600 yards against the Bills and beat both Marino and Brees :singing:

Congrats Brees! He is one of the elite QBs in this game. And deserves some recognition for what he has accomplished. I'll take the Superbowl trophy over the record any day though. Let's go Pats!!

BTW Brady is also likely to break Marino's record. He needs only 200 more yards in the next game to do so. :)

Last edited:
These guys get paid big $$ to play football. I wonder if some of them felt the same way in College when their big school was up 65-3, against a small school, and still trying to score?

Falcons players did complain after the game:

"No need for that,” one player told Prisco. “It came on our watch, but it didn’t have to come that way. We won’t forget it.”

“That’s just who they are,” the Falcons player said. “We’ll see them down the road. We won’t forget any of it.”

Falcons not happy that Saints went for record | ProFootballTalk

Suck it up Falcons.

Tsk, tsk, Falcons, if you didn't like Brees dropping more bombs on your head then you might have started with playing a better game. Your coach stunk and you stunk, so cry to each other but not us. And if you want to remember something meaningful from this game then I recommend keeping in mind how badly you played, not Brees going all Marino on you.

However, looking back at this record someday, I bet Brees will feel like getting those final yards when it mattered would have been a better way to go. Brees's speech after the game thanking his teammates sounds hollow after watching him fling it around just to get his name in the record books. I suppose you could argue he owed it to his teammates to get past Marino since they obviously contributed to Brees's success. But it was a cheesy conclusion to a great season and sadly there's no washing that off. Don't believe me? What's the first thing the people say when you bring up a Marino record? "Yeah, but he didn't win anything..." The context of gaining fame does matter.

Last edited:
Brady needs to hang 500+ yards next week on Buffalo. He's 190 yards behind Brees right now, and Brees probably won't play the entire game next week. Assuming that Brees plays the first half only and throws for 300 yards, Brady will likely need over 500 to top him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe