PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comp picks announced: We got 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Well, getting 4 picks, particularly the two high 3rd comps, kills any "Can't afford to spend on old players because of need for youth" arguments.

Those are some nice assets heading into the draft! They're going to need them

Those 2 extra 3rd rounders are sweet

Sixth round though? We never get anyone good .... oh wait....never mind

Nice! We need those picks with all the free agents we will be losing this offseason. We will get another 3rd round comp pick for Brady and thuney in 2021.

Sorely needed... Now BB and Caserio need to hit on some youth who won't end up on the IR.

The comp picks are nonsensical concepts in a salary cap league that has equal opportunity spending.

We will also get picks for Van Noy and Karras and Collins and possibly McCourty provided we don't sign many high priced free agents.

The comp picks are nonsensical concepts in a salary cap league that has equal opportunity spending.
The fun part ? It was started to help bad teams get better, but as always, the smarter GMs found a way to take advantage.

All systems favour the smart. And BB is the smartest there is.

Nice! We need those picks with all the free agents we will be losing this offseason. We will get another 3rd round comp pick for Brady and thuney in 2021.
Thuney maybe. Brady can only bring in a 5th as he’s a 10 year veteran.

The fun part ? It was started to help bad teams get better, but as always, the smarter GMs found a way to take advantage.

All systems favour the smart. And BB is the smartest there is.

I remember someone posted the list of players that the Patriots have gotten with comp picks and Belichick looks a lot less like a mastermind once you see that.

So, we now have picks:

#23 (1)
#87 (3)
#98 (3)
#100 (3)
#125 (4)
#129 (4)
#163 (5)
#195 (6)
#204 (6)
#212 (6)
#213 (6)
#230 (7)
#235 (7)
#241 (7)

Yup, we are gonna be players in the NFL draft...we cannot use all of those 6's and 7's......

I remember someone posted the list of players that the Patriots have gotten with comp picks and Belichick looks a lot less like a mastermind once you see that.
As a counter, I’ll toss this out :

BB takes shots at the board. He will hit and he will miss. In the 4th round, he hit on Flowers, who made some huge, key plays in the biggest of spots.

The pick was acquired by trading Mankins. But it was a mid round shot at the board. The extra picks BB has gotten over the years add to the lot. And, yes, perhaps he has missed on some of the picks that fall into the “compensatory” category. But had he NOT had the compensatory pick, he’d have fewer tries in the middle rounds to get talent.

Using your logic, we could make a list of all the VG mid round picks and find something they all have in common and then praise BB for making such great choices on ______ picks.

I guess I just think that the accumulation of mid rounders adds to the teams’ attempts and that I am comfortable with the amount of talent they’ve found there (including Flowers, White, Vereen, Thuney, and others).

Thuney maybe. Brady can only bring in a 5th as he’s a 10 year veteran.
If the new CBA gets approved, QBs will no longer be affected by the 10 year experience rule and will still be eligible for 3rd round comp picks.

If the new CBA gets approved, QBs will no longer be affected by the 10 year experience rule and will still be eligible for 3rd round comp picks.

Tom Brady rule?:mad:

I wonder how many will be taken away for bullsh!t gate 2?

As a counter, I’ll toss this out :

BB takes shots at the board. He will hit and he will miss. In the 4th round, he hit on Flowers, who made some huge, key plays in the biggest of spots.

The pick was acquired by trading Mankins. But it was a mid round shot at the board. The extra picks BB has gotten over the years add to the lot. And, yes, perhaps he has missed on some of the picks that fall into the “compensatory” category. But had he NOT had the compensatory pick, he’d have fewer tries in the middle rounds to get talent.

Using your logic, we could make a list of all the VG mid round picks and find something they all have in common and then praise BB for making such great choices on ______ picks.

I guess I just think that the accumulation of mid rounders adds to the teams’ attempts and that I am comfortable with the amount of talent they’ve found there (including Flowers, White, Vereen, Thuney, and others).

The comp pick thing is just incredibly overrated in respect to the difference it's made. It's sort of taken as a point of religion that it's Belichick playing 4-dimensional chess, but the actual returns of his supposedly brilliant strategy have been negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes