PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine weigh-ins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dontari Poe only 32" arms. Are the options thinning for that first rounder?

Speaking of which, I'm expecting Brockers and Cox to jump Devon Still in the first because of their athleticism. Bearing in mind Still's clubhouse leadership at Penn St. this past year and the fact that he's probably the best 2 gap prospect available, plus the extreme shortage of later round 3-4 DE types, if Still is there at around 20, is a trade up possibly the best bet?

The Missouri TE, Egnew, looks athletic, don't know #, but just had a huge jump.

James Hanna TE, Oklahoma, 6036/252, 33-1/8 arms, 9-7/8 hands:

4.42 & 4.49/40, 24 reps, 36.0 vert, 10'2" broad, 4.11 20-S

Donald Stephenson OT, Oklahoma, 6054/312, 34-7/8 arms, 9-7/8 hands:

4.94/40, 19 reps, 35.5" vert, 9'6" broad, 4.78 20-S

A couple of the DL weigh ins.

Fletcher Cox- 6'4" 298 34 1/2 inch arms (Good size, long arms)

Akiem Hicks- 6'5" 318lbs 35 1/8 inch arms (Prototype DE size)

Chandler Jones- 6'5" 266lbs 35 1/2 inch arms (Prototype OLB size. Tall, solid weight, really long arms)

:eek::eek::eek::):):):):rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Speaking of which, I'm expecting Brockers and Cox to jump Devon Still in the first because of their athleticism. Bearing in mind Still's clubhouse leadership at Penn St. this past year and the fact that he's probably the best 2 gap prospect available, plus the extreme shortage of later round 3-4 DE types, if Still is there at around 20, is a trade up possibly the best bet?

Short arms probably prevents any 3-4 teams from wanting Still but 4-3 teams with need at DT could still go bananas over him. The Rams come to mind. They wouldn't take Still at #2 but they could trade up (I'm sure someone wants their pick) and grab him in the 10-20 range.

Wilfork only has 32" arms, too. It's ok to have short arms when you're 330+ lbs. Nobody OL is going to be able to put extend their hand and put it on your head and play "punch at air" when 330+ lbs is coming at them.

Wilfork only has 32" arms, too. It's ok to have short arms when you're 330+ lbs. Nobody OL is going to be able to put extend their hand and put it on your head and play "punch at air" when 330+ lbs is coming at them.

But we have enough bodies for those inside DL positions (Brace and Love with Wilfork). It's that prototypical 3-4 end which we're lacking. I see Still in that role and his arms aren't too bad @33 1'4 although would prefer 34+.

A few players I think we can put to rest the Pats drafting at OLB: Curry, McClellin, and Perry.

Why? Their heights & arm lengths are close enough. I'll wait until they perform in the agility drills before I pass final judgement.

But we have enough bodies for those inside DL positions (Brace and Love with Wilfork). It's that prototypical 3-4 end which we're lacking. I see Still in that role and his arms aren't too bad @33 1'4 although would prefer 34+.

Dontari Poe was never an option at DE. He's purely a nose guard.

Dontari Poe was never an option at DE. He's purely a nose guard.

Isn't he being compared to Ngata and doesn't he play on the end? Poe has certainly been talked about as an end here,after all, we're not going to be looking for a first round replacement for Wilfork.

Isn't he being compared to Ngata and doesn't he play on the end? Poe has certainly been talked about as an end here,after all, we're not going to be looking for a first round replacement for Wilfork.

I don't know why anyone here would be looking at Poe. We don't need a NT and Poe isn't a DE in our system.

Ngata is playing DE now because the Ravens are blessed with Ngata's insane athleticism and the issue of Terrence Cody's big fat ass. Ngata also has 35" or 36" reach so that helps.

James Hanna TE, Oklahoma, 6036/252, 33-1/8 arms, 9-7/8 hands:

4.42 & 4.49/40, 24 reps, 36.0 vert, 10'2" broad, 4.11 20-S

Donald Stephenson OT, Oklahoma, 6054/312, 34-7/8 arms, 9-7/8 hands:

4.94/40, 19 reps, 35.5" vert, 9'6" broad, 4.78 20-S

Hanna looked bad in the skill drills.. Dropped passes that should have been easily caught..

Igwenagu and Green stood out, though not speed wise.

Short arms probably prevents any 3-4 teams from wanting Still but 4-3 teams with need at DT could still go bananas over him. The Rams come to mind. They wouldn't take Still at #2 but they could trade up (I'm sure someone wants their pick) and grab him in the 10-20 range.

Except that he wasn't talking about short arms on Still. He was talking about short arms on Dontari Poe. Still's arms are about average for a D-lineman at 33 1/4"

Except that he wasn't talking about short arms on Still. He was talking about short arms on Dontari Poe. Still's arms are about average for a D-lineman at 33 1/4"

I replied to his post twice. Please stop nit picking. You're on strike two.

Last edited:
I replied to his post twice. Please stop nit picking. You're on strike two.

Funny that you call me a tool and a moron, yet you are the one who incorrectly responded to his post about Poe. It wasn't nit-picking. It was correcting a clear screw up on your part. Suck it up. Admit the mistake and move on. Works wonders..Especially when you didn't correct yourself in either post..

P.S. What are you going to do? Put me on Double secret probation? Oh, please.. Don't do that.. it will just break my heart [/sarcasm]

Last edited:
Hanna looked bad in the skill drills.. Dropped passes that should have been easily caught..

Igwenagu and Green stood out, though not speed wise.

Yeah. Saw that about Hanna in a later write-up. One observer generously wrote that Hanna, "looked unnatural catching passes."

Unnatural is apparently diplomat-speak for "he sucked".

How well can he move?

Not focused on him before but just started rewatching Oklahoma games. Saw him drop back into coverage and he looked nice and smooth. Less cumbersome than the likes of Andre Branch and Cam johnson. Was actually taken aback by how easy he looked.

Not focused on him before but just started rewatching Oklahoma games. Saw him drop back into coverage and he looked nice and smooth. Less cumbersome than the likes of Andre Branch and Cam johnson. Was actually taken aback by how easy he looked.

Very interesting, I like Johnson so far, I'll have to watch some tape.

Very interesting, I like Johnson so far, I'll have to watch some tape.

I'm a Johnson fan too. Bear in mind that I've only seen it once so far so hard to make a judgement and also that no-one I've found rates Alexander more than a day 3 pick so he needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. will be watching him closely tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down