PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Collins getting some buzz as a DPOY candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prediction: they sign Hightower and franchise Collins.

And tag Butler with a 1st-round rating if he has another great year.

How could he be a DPOY candidate before the season is even played? :confused:

Maybe because the whole Patriots defense looks stacked, and he projects to be the flashiest/most exciting player on it? And, of course, he's in a contract year. If you have to do the crystal ball thing, that's a pretty decent stab at it.
shrug1.gif

Prediction: they sign Hightower and franchise Collins.

And tag Butler with a 1st-round rating if he has another great year.
I wouldn't hate this admittedly. Give HT the classic team player deal. Give Collins another year, then treat his contract like he's a Gronk type player.

The way Collins is progressing this year he's gonna eat a quarterback with one bite Demogorgon style.

We have the best 2 LB's in the game and they want to get paid accordingly.

The way Collins is progressing this year he's gonna eat a quarterback with one bite Demogorgon style.

I say pay em both.

This probably just boils down to semantics. Is he a top player to watch with DPOY potential? Of course. But he shouldn't be considered a "candidate" until after the season is played. He could get hurt, have a subpar year, or 10 other guys could put in superior performances.

Its not black or white is my point. If by Week 14 he is on a pace for 100+ tackles, 8 sacks, 4 INTS and 5 FFs he is informally under consideration for DPOY.

Who Will Win NFL Defensive Player of the Year 2016? | Bleacher Report

Yeah yeah, I get Simms is in this video and that will likely be all that anyone cares about, but I'm just psyched that people are finally unable to overlook this guy any longer.

Yea its nice to see him get his recognition, but the tin foil hat side of me thinks it's awfully convenient for the media to acknowledge him right as he enters his final contract year. . Now they can hype him and drive his market value up

In the case of contract negotiations, I'm always wondering if there may be some desire from one or even both parties in terms of waiting to develop a larger sample size, but that's just a guess. For example, if the Pats are offering 10m dollars a season, Collins could theoretically shortchange himself by taking that offer right now. With another strong season, he may be able to bump it up another 15-20 percent in AAV, with even more guaranteed money.

I also think that the team is somewhat player friendly in terms of allowing guys to hit free agency in an attempt to develop proper market value. As we know, that can backfire, just as well. Sometimes they choose to match another offer, while other times they do not. As you mentioned, an ideal situation would be to try and lock him up now, based on his first 3 years of production and progression. For all we know, they may have been trying to do that for awhile now, with Collins' agent playing hardball.

We also run into the problem of New England being a really ****ty area to live in as far as weather and stuff goes.

If you're not much of an outdoorsy type that likes to ski and stuff, new England weather is a huge downer and not fun at all..

I've lived in new Hampshire for 33 years and I'm so sick of the winter that I've been trying to get my wife on board with moving further south

For a guy like Collins who wasn't born here and has no affiliation to this region other than his tenure with the Pats.. knowing that he can get PAID in free agency and have basically his choice of where he wants to play may look at California, Florida or where he was from originally as much more appealing choices than dealing with the garbage winters in this area that have been record breaking bad lately

We basically have like 3-4 months of good weather a year and the rest of the time it's total garbage

Last edited:
i mean hes regular season stats look pretty grim at the moment, Zero sacks, zero tackles, zero ff, zero int.

Going to be blunt, I like Collins, but its way to early to say hes going to win DPOY with that stat line.

bgksuv5sauktyratmmhd.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back