PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College Football: Urban Meyer "retiring" from Ohio State

Don't understand the hate.
Meyer is hired to win.
Meyer wins.
Pretending Meyer or any big time NCAA coach is supposed to be a virtuous role model charged with molding testosterone infused gridiron maulers into upstanding citizens of the world is........laughable.

The football dynasty universities.....Nebraska, Oklahoma, USC, Florida, FSU, OSU, Bama, etc.......all have operated under the same model:
Recruit, Win, $$$$$$$$, Don't get caught, Recruit, Win, $$$$$$$, Don't get caught.....
(And don't forget to befriend local law enforcement)
Notre Dame...????....I think the Pope deploys a secret fund when he's not covering up other excesses. :)

The NCAA is FIFA ....but instead of corrupt executives pocketing millions on the sly (FIFA), disingenuous universities disguised as educators have rigged an exploitative system to reap billions off the sweat and toll of their indentured widgets.

Want to win fast...hire Meyer
Want more Alumni contributions....hire Meyer
Want to be relevant...hire Meyer

Want wholesome sport, watch D3
I think you make some good points here, although the suggestion of the “don’t get caught” aspect may be a bit over the top.

He was guilty of allowing some douchebag assistant coach the ability to mess up in his personal life, and didn’t fire him quickly enough. It’s not like he was heading up a culture guilty of recruiting violations, etc.

Sounds like he’s getting out before he loses his grip on the conference.

Sounds like he’s getting out before he loses his grip on the conference.
Kind of disagree on this one. In his 7 years, he only lost one game to the two toughest competitors, combined. Michigan + Penn State. How was he losing his grip on the conference? Who else is there?

Kind of disagree on this one. In his 7 years, he only lost one game to the two toughest competitors, combined. Michigan + Penn State. How was he losing his grip on the conference? Who else is there?

In the next few years, Nebraska.

I hate Ohio state

You might be right. They’re in the top 25 for recruiting with their 2019 class. Frost has to get moving on 2020 though.

2019 Football Team Rankings

I know I have those rose colored glasses on (and the defense must improve from this season) but I think we have a future heisman contender at qb the next 3 years in Adrian Martínez. With Haskins and mcsorley moving on he could be the best qb in the big10 starting next season.

I think you make some good points here, although the suggestion of the “don’t get caught” aspect may be a bit over the top.

He was guilty of allowing some douchebag assistant coach the ability to mess up in his personal life, and didn’t fire him quickly enough. It’s not like he was heading up a culture guilty of recruiting violations, etc.
That assistant coach was the grandson of Meyers mentor Earle Bruce. Bruce personally asked Meyer to watch over his grandson.

I know I have those rose colored glasses on (and the defense must improve from this season) but I think we have a future heisman contender at qb the next 3 years in Adrian Martínez. With Haskins and mcsorley moving on he could be the best qb in the big10 starting next season.
I didn’t get the chance to watch a lot of Nebraska football last year but in what little I saw, he seems like a perfect fit for what Frost wants to do. You guys are in desperate need for an infusion of athleticism on both sides of the ball. I would bet Frost can probably get a Meyer recruit or two to flip, though.

I didn’t get the chance to watch a lot of Nebraska football last year but in what little I saw, he seems like a perfect fit for what Frost wants to do. You guys are in desperate need for an infusion of athleticism on both sides of the ball. I would bet Frost can probably get a Meyer recruit or two to flip, though.

We need more speed at the skill positions and more size in the trenches especially DL. Especially against those Big10 offenses.

It’s funny to think that, without basically running out of capable QBs in 2014, Meyer may not have anything to show for his time at OSU. Without Barrett going down, which forced him to use Jones as more of a classical pocket passer to avoid injury, OSU might not have won the CFP. That actually made Ohio State harder to defend.

Isn't that THE Ohio State?

Isn't that THE Ohio State?
It was. It may still be. Day is a good coach. What remains to be seen is if he’s as good of a recruiter. Especially in the south.

The first thing I thought when I heard this, without any evidence of anything is, "Well, there's Aaron Rogers' next coach."

Edit - I don't follow college football so I was not aware of his health issues. My hot take is as good as anyone else's out there! (i.e. it's hot take fake).

As a Michigan fan, this is great news, as he is an elite coach.
As a human being, this is great news, as he is an abuser-protecting scumbag.

As a Michigan fan, this is great news, as he is an elite coach.
As a human being, this is great news, as he is an abuser-protecting scumbag.

Can’t argue with any of this.

He might be really good in the studio. His knowledge of the college game is off the charts!

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back