PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

Bill spent 3 hours looking for Strange.

Reminds me of my college days.

And this was 69 Strange!

Little OT, but just saw where he has allowed only 1 sack since like 2018…if I was the only guy to get a sack against him, I’d be getting out of my car today like…

step-pimp.gif

Who knows as far as cb goes. I only know bb has had many easy opportunities to fill the hole and chose not to just yet. Jcj signed a very fair contract with lac considering his services and/or coulda been tagged for roughly the same amount . And bb passed over at least 3 rd 1 caliber talents at cb between 21-29 to draft a guard. This with cb (IMO) being the biggest current need. So my guess is he has a plan there hes quite confident in that im hoping will work out. But id definitely say If cb ends up biting us this year he should be questioned about it.
This doesn't make me feel any better. LOL

I think it should not surprised any Patriots fan, that this would happen in the draft. Time and time again, it's like "what the ??".

In 2021 draft, it was "out of norm" for the Patriots.

In 2022 draft, "back to normal"...

:evil:

Comments:

1.) We don't definitely KNOW if Strange would have been there in round 2 or 3.

2.) The Patriots brain trust clearly had him at the top of their board. Belichick even said they might have taken him at #21.

3.) 1st round pick on a plug in starter on the OL? That will never ever get any complaints from me. It is nice to have plug-in-and-start type of guys on Sundays....you can't ever have enough meat up front. We are a running team with a 2nd year QB and no game breakers on offense....we need meat up front...and some back up too. It solves one problem...we could quibble all day about whether the value was there in round 1 or not...it's done with...we have our starting OL: Wynn, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, and Brown...that's a fantastic line right there.

4.) Brandon Beane the Bills GM said that they had Elam as the last "round 1 graded prospect" on their board and that was at pick #23. I like us taking advantage of the Chiefs needing to leapfrog the Bills for a CB. We made those two teams give up a 3rd, a 3rd, and a 4th for two CB's.

5.) I look forward to what we will do with picks:

Second round: 54th
Third round: 85th
Third round (from Chiefs): 94th
Fourth round (from Chiefs): 121st
Fourth round: 127th

Supposedly in a draft that is DEEP from rounds 2-4...we get to dip into that pool 5 times....and we got our OL pick out of the way. Now we can let the board come to us, IMO.
But at the end of the day Mill and Malcolm Butler are our starting CBs?
Excuse me for feeling squeamish

- one of the more aware and reactive players.i watched. Showed good patience but was always quick to ID pressure, handle manipulated pressure / pick up rushers. Whether it's pre snap or delayed he's very heady and again quick to react. Heads always moving but well aware of his original assignment. Never lost in space or under pressure.

plays with and maintains great technique on zone runs. Great job gaining position through contact or with his athleticism. Very quick to initiate contact and use his plus body control. Initiating first contact is always key in the trenches and he's great at punching first. Plus grip strength. Quick choppy feet are a plus here. Isn't the strongest guy in terms of core / raw strength.

Always brings the energy and fight.

Very efficient player in his movements and steps. Looks like an athlete but is a step ahead mentally most of the time in where he wants to go.

Big time potential with his lateral movement on stretch, screen, 2nd/3rd level. Quick, can move, locate. Great job working the best angles to get where he wants to go. This could be a sign we're moving to more zone stuff. He excels there.

Has to get stronger. Has to gain some core strength.

Possible C in a pinch.

Great job moving / pulling, locating targets, climbing to the second level. Can move vertically and laterally. He's textbook on combos same foot/hip/shoulder.

Definitely could be a little more nuanced in some areas but that's experience. He's a quick learner.

Has experience at T & C

Had a 3rd on him so this was a surprise for sure. Love the prospect but definitely a lot earlier than expected. He was on my PTP Board. Actually just brought him up. He tested out very highly, top 5 for what we like at IOL. View attachment 42767

My immediate concern would be him getting overpowered by stronger D linemen. Do you think he can step in and start day one?

Karras was who I was talking about. The Mason move I didnt love but I understood why they did it. Karras was cheaper and apparently good enough to hold off Onwenu all year. Bill made him an offer then allegedly dropped it by $2 mill and Karras ended up signing in Cincy for more than either offer Bill made. I think Bill made a miscalculation and this pick was his correction.
So he made two mistakes instead of one

The Jest's supposedly had an amazing draft the year before last, they drafted Mekhi Becton with the 11th overall pick, Denzel Mims in the 2nd was a stud at WR, safety Ashtyn Davis was a solid pick in the 3rd, DE Jabari Zuniga was going to be a sack artist in the 3rd... Two years later they're looking to replace all four of those first players.

The Raiders just declined to exercise the fifth-year option for EDGE Clelin Ferrell. Shocking. The No. 4 overall pick in the 2019 draft, Ferrell has eight sacks total in three seasons… tell me again about draft value and perception. It’s garbage, the result of too many know it alls running their mouths.

Perception about draft value is simply that, pre-draft perception.

The Ferrel pick was clowned on as much as this pick the second it happened so I don’t think that’s helping your case plugging him in there

So they traded Mason for a 5th and took Strange in the first. The only conclusion I can make is that they thought Strange would be a significant upgrade. I'm not savvy enough to gainsay the decision, but that's the only way it makes sense.

Comments:

1.) We don't definitely KNOW if Strange would have been there in round 2 or 3.

2.) The Patriots brain trust clearly had him at the top of their board. Belichick even said they might have taken him at #21.

3.) 1st round pick on a plug in starter on the OL? That will never ever get any complaints from me. It is nice to have plug-in-and-start type of guys on Sundays....you can't ever have enough meat up front. We are a running team with a 2nd year QB and no game breakers on offense....we need meat up front...and some back up too. It solves one problem...we could quibble all day about whether the value was there in round 1 or not...it's done with...we have our starting OL: Wynn, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, and Brown...that's a fantastic line right there.

4.) Brandon Beane the Bills GM said that they had Elam as the last "round 1 graded prospect" on their board and that was at pick #23. I like us taking advantage of the Chiefs needing to leapfrog the Bills for a CB. We made those two teams give up a 3rd, a 3rd, and a 4th for two CB's.

5.) I look forward to what we will do with picks:

Second round: 54th
Third round: 85th
Third round (from Chiefs): 94th
Fourth round (from Chiefs): 121st
Fourth round: 127th

Supposedly in a draft that is DEEP from rounds 2-4...we get to dip into that pool 5 times....and we got our OL pick out of the way. Now we can let the board come to us, IMO.

4th round and later is when Patriots get the best value from OL picks...

Hoping they package 3rd + 4th + 6th to get BACK into round-2.

I'm happy if they pick Metchie III.

I just heard on the radio that the Bucs and Titans had first round grades on Strange. The Bucs are the first selection today.

They weren’t taking a ****ing guard at 33

This is next level homerism. We passed on several 1st round graded players and reached for an OG so we could make other teams burn picks?!?

Another troubling aspect of this pick is Belichick on record saying Strange "wouldn't have lasted much longer" ...what a complete lack of awareness. Bill, your pick is being publicly laughed at by your peers.

I just heard on the radio that the Bucs and Titans had first round grades on Strange. The Bucs are the first selection today.
Even if it is true, it’s still a bad pick

Last edited:
But at the end of the day Mill and Malcolm Butler are our starting CBs?
Excuse me for feeling squeamish

I hear you man...McDuffie would have been nice. Maybe we move up for Booth today....

But if we fix our front 7 and play 3 safety packages....we can get pressure consistently enough to not leave Mills/Butler/Mitchell on an island.

The Ferrel pick was clowned on as much as this pick the second it happened so I don’t think that’s helping your case plugging him in there
I believe what he's saying that they didn't care about the consensus draft boards on Ferrell.

So they traded Mason for a 5th and took Strange in the first. The only conclusion I can make is that they thought Strange would be a significant upgrade. I'm not savvy enough to gainsay the decision, but that's the only way it makes sense.

He's also five years younger, five million per year cheaper, and (probably most importantly) is now under team control for the next five years. I agree that none of that matters if he isn't a reasonable replacement for Mason (and each year that passes while he gets up to speed is one less that counts towards that value).

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back