PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

This is monumentally bad. Embarrassingly bad. For you old timers, this is Eugene Chung bad. This is a reach that might have been unmatchable in the last decade. The trade down was bad enough, passing great talent (as usual) to select mediocre talent. And even guys selected after pick 29 were better talents. I don’t care about getting LATE 3rd and LATE 4th round picks to move back 8 slots, once again you’re passing up great talents that can help your team.

There is no sugar coating this. You can put up your new age RAS stats and all that ********, but this is bad. This isn’t just some draft junkie saying this. When the Super Bowl winning coach and GM are laughing at your pick, it shows you where most teams had this guy rated.

I was never the guy who looked forward to Belichick leaving. I always dreaded the thought. But I don’t anymore. He always talks about doing what’s best for the team. Maybe what’s best for the team is him not making the selections anymore. The NFL has evolved, his opponents are getting better, faster, more talented, all because he’s making ****ty trade downs and picks, passing up good talent that goes to the Pat’s competition.

It’s obvious last year’s draft was an anomaly. It was shockingly good. Not reaching for picks, drafting guys that were rated higher than where we selected them, actually taking GOOD talent and GOOD players. It was the Patriots first “good” draft since 2012. It’s obvious Belichick wasn’t running last year’s draft. It’s obvious that he’s back running the draft again.

If I were Kraft, I’d be pissed. I know Kraft is loyal, but he called the Pats out before last year’s draft, and they delivered. He called them out again before this year’s draft, and they go back to the old Patriot’s way of drafting. Reaching, like they always reach.

So they have a ****load of 3rd and 4th round picks, are they going to trade a 2nd and a 3rd to move up in the 2nd round ? Probably not. We know they will go DB in the 2nd round, most likely that Houston kid who’s a slow midget (Marcus Jones, rated 6th round).

So Groh obviously has no pull, he’s just a figurehead. All of this talk about getting faster. What an embarrassment.

if he turns out to be shaq mason level it was the dumbest move of the offseason.
Trading a guy for a 5th and drafting his replacement in round 1 without getting more quality at the position while others like CB or DE remain massive holes while many players a lot of guys here wanted were available is a F--------------
More teams were offering more than a 5th for Shaq making $9m? No. Ownenu is replacing Shaq.

LG was a massive hole whether you agree or not.

More teams were offering more than a 5th for Shaq making $9m? No. Ownenu is replacing Shaq.
Onwenu was already here, i am comparing loosing our two G from last year and replacing them with onwenu and strange.
LG was a massive hole whether you agree or not.
i agree the hole but that doesn't justify the pick at all whether you agree or not

They should be since it's over-drafting a guy to fill a hole intentionally created by Bill. It's an unforced error when the Pats need help on D desperately.
I don't recall this level of freak out when we traded Mason? So you'd rather Ference with no competition? Not fair for everyone to put this level of hate on poor Cole because BB could of kept Mason. Bottom line he didn't keep Mason so we needed a guard. Now we have one. Everyone needs to step off the ledge.

The need was there and it is was a priority. There is no debate over that.

Question is the projection/draft slot.

If he turns into Mankind or Thuney or Shaq it was a great pick.

Do everything to protect Mac.
No team ever said we were a guard away from winning the SB. OG was a need but not bigger than CB or LB. You can find starting guard in the later round. In fact, the best players on the line are later round player.

Andrews UDFA
Onwenu 6th
Brown 7th

Mason was a 4th
Thuney was a 2nd

Strange will not help us stop Allen and he is not the difference between scoring 17 pts or 30.

It’s a really bad pick. Bill overreached to pick a player at a position that was a need solely because he unecessarily created that need by trading Mason for nothing

Edit: and I would add the hole was also created by letting Karras go over a couple million.

Last edited:
I don't recall this level of freak out when we traded Mason? So you'd rather Ference with no competition? Not fair for everyone to put this level of hate on poor Cole because BB could of kept Mason. Bottom line he didn't keep Mason so we needed a guard. Now we have one. Everyone needs to step off the ledge.
you can find a guard on day 2 i'm sure

I disagree. The freakout was very real. It was the biggest WTF moment of this off-season. An unforced error compounded by over-drafting a position you could fill with a player in the second or later rounds.

Bills had 7 possessions, scored seven TDs, they haven't made them punt in two games, does anyone think drafting a Div 3 guard is going to change this? Oh and plus, since then the Pats have lost JC, Hightower, and replaced them with a retired Butler.

This pick is indefensible

They should be since it's over-drafting a guy to fill a hole intentionally created by Bill. It's an unforced error when the Pats need help on D desperately.
Come on man, can you imagine the heat Belichick woulda got if he missed out on COLE STRANGE? You can’t risk not taking him and hearing about it the next 15 years while he dominates the league. This is Cole freaking Strange we’re talking about.

If Jones and Butler both play at their 2020 form after a year off, I think the CB position could be as strong or stronger than last year. Neither guy is as good as Jackson, but adding both could improve the secondary overall. Sure the secondary was horrible down the stretch, but that had a lot to do with injuries and COVID with the safeties and the pass rush falling apart after the bye. Drafting a CB wouldn't address the latter.

I also don't think things are nearly as dire as others with this defense. People just have short memories. People dismiss the strong defense for most of the year because of the competition which has merit, but they forget that the defense play well against strong offenses like Tampa and San Diego. Hell, they are doing it with the Bills too who struggled all year and pulled it all together at the end of the year for a strong run dismissing that they couldn't win two games in a row for most of the year.

I think this defense will live and die on the front seven. That seems to be the way Belichick has built this team based on the way opposing offenses are morphing. I wished they drafted Jermaine Johnson (although I assume since they didn't that there is a very good chance Trey Flowers will return after the compensatory picks penalties are lifted). I also wish they drafted either Dean or Lloyd. But this could be a sign that they are high on Uche, Perkins, McGrone being the LB corp of the future.

I would have been happy if they drafted McDuffie, but he doesn't look to be a lock down CB who you can have shadow a big WR like Diggs.

I am not happy about last night's pick. Strange looks to be a guy they could have drafted today and they could have gotten a better player last night than they are likely to get today with a pick they could have used on Strange. But I am not all that upset that they didn't draft a CB. It is a need for sure, but I don't know if it is as pressing as people make it out to be assuming Butler and Jones can play.

Look on the bright side - if he’s good enough to pick up the 5th year option on, he will already be on the back 9 of his career, and his deal will come at a discount.

Come on man, can you imagine the heat Belichick woulda got if he missed out on COLE STRANGE? You can’t risk not taking him and hearing about it the next 15 years while he dominates the league. This is Cole freaking Strange we’re talking about.
I saw someone here compare draft day to Christmas. He got Cole in his stocking. :)

If Strange starts at LG and plays well then I’m ok with the pick. OL was a top 3 draft priority for me.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back