PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coby Fleener Released...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope .............
Saints going with Watson and Hooman over him.

A Jimmy Graham type with bad hands lmao

A Jimmy Graham type with bad hands lmao

Before his concussion ridden 2017 season, he'd had 4 straight 50 catch years. If he's 100% recovered, he's an upgrade as a pass catching TE. The problems are:

• Recovery questions
  • Concussion history
  • Willingness to block, especially after the concussions
  • Money will quite probably be more elsewhere
  • Does he really want to keep playing

Can’t catch
Can’t block
Can’t NE

To toughen up the TE2 position. It would be great to actually have a 2nd TE who could catch.. just saying

Not a particularly good blocker, AFAIK.

Both Fleener and Allen were drafted by the Dolts in 2012, and both became UFA in the spring of 2016. On March 8th, Allen re-signed with Indy - 4 years, $29M, $11.5M guaranteed. The next day, Fleener signed with the Saints - 5 years, $36M, $14.6M guaranteed.

Fleener had a decent 2016 as a receiver for the Saints:
- 50 catches (62% catch rate), 631 yds (12.6 ypc), 3 TDs.

Allen was decent for the Dolts, too:
- 35 catches (67% catch rate), 406 yds (11.6 ypc), 6 TDs

Last season with NOLA (only his second season on his new contract), Fleener's targets declined to 30 through week-12:
- 22 catches (73% catch rate), 295 yds (13.4 ypc), 2 TDs
At some point, he suffered a concussion that put him on IR in December.

By releasing him now, the Saints actually increase their cap expense by $200K. IOW, not a cap-cut. This seems to indicate that there's something else going on. I wouldn't be surprised if the second wave of reports about Fleener's release note that it was "failed physical".

The timing of the move is curious since $3.4MM of his base salary became guaranteed in February. The Saints, in theory, could have saved $3.2MM against the cap by releasing him months earlier.

Saints Release TE Coby Fleener

Not a particularly good blocker, AFAIK.

Both Fleener and Allen were drafted by the Dolts in 2012, and both became UFA in the spring of 2016. On March 8th, Allen re-signed with Indy - 4 years, $29M, $11.5M guaranteed. The next day, Fleener signed with the Saints - 5 years, $36M, $14.6M guaranteed.

Fleener had a decent 2016 as a receiver for the Saints:
- 50 catches (62% catch rate), 631 yds (12.6 ypc), 3 TDs.

Allen was decent for the Dolts, too:
- 35 catches (67% catch rate), 406 yds (11.6 ypc), 6 TDs

Last season with NOLA (only his second season on his new contract), Fleener's targets declined to 30 through week-12:
- 22 catches (73% catch rate), 295 yds (13.4 ypc), 2 TDs
At some point, he suffered a concussion that put him on IR in December.

By releasing him now, the Saints actually increase their cap expense by $200K. IOW, not a cap-cut. This seems to indicate that there's something else going on. I wouldn't be surprised if the second wave of reports about Fleener's release note that it was "failed physical".
He would be a bad blocker if he played WR.

why is allen still on the roster with a 5M cap hit?

why is allen still on the roster with a 5M cap hit?
Good question, but I guess the answer is, there is nobody better out there right now (hard to believe, and yes I know the guy is a good blocker but he can't catch for shi-ite).

Pretty surprised we didn't pick a TE in the middle rounds.

The Pats really only had the one pick in the "middle rounds" - #143 in the 5th - and they spent it on an LB. It's possible that the Pats didn't see any greater value with the TE's who were available at that point than they did with Izzo. Probably saw greater value with Bentley.

I thought I'd point out Kamara's impact for NO.... 38 1st downs on 81 catches / 40 1st downs on only 120 rushes.
NO's offense doesn't need a concussed $8 million non-blocking TE whose move the chains role has been severely diminished.
Cost / health / need....all red flags in the cap conscious NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back