PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coaching Staff Concerns (*posts moved out of rookie camp thread)

No, I don't believe that because Bill is still here the Pats are automatically contenders. However, I believe that doing things Bill's way is way more conducive to winning than doing everything just like every other team. Following the current trends in the NFL is a good way to chase and never catch the teams that that acted on that strategy first.

Belichick has always tried to find market inefficiencies and to go against the grain. In other words, if Belichick were to do what everyone else is doing the Pats are less likely to be successful.
I respectfully disagree with this position. Times change. Teams have to adapt. A look at the teams that were succesful winning it all in the last 3 seasons shows they all had elite QB, elite receivers, and scored a lot of points. These teams all had top of the league talent.

Case in point, the Patriots themselves have acknowledged the need to get "faster." This shows the team has chosen to follow the rest of the league. Groh even stated the LBs that Bill prefers aren't even available from the college ranks.

Drafting 5'8" to 5'11" CB at 175 #s is certainly curious, but it appears they're focusing on speed.

The other thing to consider is the make-up of the team. To properly implement Bill's system requires "buy-in" from the players. I suspect that was one of the reasons Bill brought back so many older players last season, to help him transition these younger dudes into his system. These younger players are no where close to what the dynasty players were like. You see more of them heavily involved on SM (Bourne, Judon, etc.). Judon's posts alone acting like a GM is not something we had ever experienced before (non-Pats player behaviour). Will Mac step up and provide the leadership needed for the rest to buy-in like they did w/ the Goat QB? We'll see, but Mac himself is very young, though does appear to be intense.

Aside from the practices and constant non-stop mtgs, which do appear to be unique in Bill's system, there isn't some magic formula that Bill possesses over the rest of the teams. We again see a team lacking top end talent. A team of middle tier players, where the secret formula = sum of the parts > indiv. player talent.

I don't think that works anymore because it requires an enormous amount of buy-in that these younger generations don't seem to have. Talent trumps buy-in in the modern NFL. It's funny that we make fun of all these teams going crazy to gather talent via FAcy and trades, yet that's exactly what we tried to do last season. The Patriots have top #5 WR/TE rooms in cap space. But do we really have top 5 in talent?

The good news is the rebuild excuse is over. Making the playoffs last season after spending an NFL record amount in FAcy and their lack of FAcy activity this season shows Bill believes he has the players needed to contend. I can't wait to see how this season turns out. LFG.

Last edited:
Not only did McD take a few of the Pats O coaches, but now he's going after FO personnel. I'm tired of this dude. I know a couple of Haitians that would do us a favor.

Not only did McD take a few of the Pats O coaches, but now he's going after FO personnel. I'm tired of this dude. I know a couple of Haitians that would do us a favor.

Bill is waaaaay to accommodating in that regard. He's a big beleiver in letting guys grow and move on but this is ridiculous.

Bill is waaaaay to accommodating in that regard. He's a big beleiver in letting guys grow and move on but this is ridiculous.
How would he be unaccommodating?
His permission is not required.

Name me the last team to reach greatness on the back of its coordinators.

Every argument that can be made against Belichick applies to McDaniels. What has McDaniels ever done without the benefit of Brady + a GOAT level pass catcher + a borderline HOF slot receiver? How many times in the past four years have we screamed at our TV after another 1st down run for two yards or another screen to Brandon Boldin on 3rd and long? The offense nearly reached the same heights, with a much less deep cast of players, under O'Brien than it did under McDaniels. I'm not sure he's that good.

The Belichick debates as tiresome, and the coaching staff "crisis" is completely overblown. It's time to put them to rest. Every great coach had elite players, because without elite players a team doesn't win. Great coaches with crappy players never become great, because their teams are crappy.

Why are we so addicted to controversy, can't we just enjoy the damn games?

Because most of the posters who constantly ***** are spoiled brats. Making the playoffs isn’t good enough. It is of course for Brady last season, but that is different. Have a rookie qb have one of the best seasons ever for a rookie just means he has already peaked. Getting new wr’s means they sucked last year and the new guys will get hurt. Omg they won’t tell us who is calling plays, get rid of Bill. They lost the best oc ever, who they *****ed about constantly last season. New coaches who they *****ed about losing now completely suck when they come back. Their offense a defense rankings from last year were made up. They didn’t really beat the Bills once and almost a second time. Getting faster on D just means Bill is senile. Do you even bother to listen to yourselves.

This is so embarrassing. Can't these guys act like professionals. You guys aren't in some secret society inside the Pentagon. It's just football. Everything doesn't need to be so cryptic.

Oh yes, they are going to start doing things differently now because Brady is gone and it annoys you, one fan

Because most of the posters who constantly ***** are spoiled brats. Making the playoffs isn’t good enough.
Refer to owner's recent statements of "disappointment" regarding playoffs
Have a rookie qb have one of the best seasons ever for a rookie just means he has already peaked.
I'm optimistic though I can't ignore Mac's physical limitations
Getting new wr’s means they sucked last year
Bourne was a find
Meyers being their #1 tells you everything about the grouping's quality.
The team's offseason WR refurbishment falls into the: "Actions speak louder than words" category
and the new guys will get hurt.
If Vegas had an over/under line on games Parker suits up, would you bet the farm on the over?
Regarding Chicken Legs, too soon to pass judgement. I will hold my breath each time he's tackled. I hope Mac's 2nd year arm has the strength to get the ball deep enough. TBD
Omg they won’t tell us who is calling plays, get rid of Bill.
My analogy:
Bill has hired an electrical consultant and a landscape architect to plumb his building
They lost the best oc ever
Purely subjective but I rate Charlie #1 in the Patriots OC Hall of Fame
Weiss introduced the slot WR offense that became NE's core system.
Weiss achieved more with less
Weiss was the master at keeping defenses off balance
Again, just my opinion
New coaches who they *****ed about losing now completely suck when they come back.
Was their message board angst when Patricia departed NE taking his bend and break defensive scheme with him?
And I don't remember seeing jumpers lined up on the edges of tall buildings when the special teams hardo headed south to Jersey with his rah rah speeches
Their offense and defense rankings from last year were made up.
Can you admit NE stats were substantially boosted thanks to the JESTs (2), Jags, and playing a string of consecutive games vs solid teams who lost their focal pieces.
Down the stretch, these elevated rankings proved fraudulent....but cling to them if you they suppress the night terrors for you.
They didn’t really beat the Bills once and almost a second time.
That Bills win was special.
I still can't decide which one of Mac's two completions was my favorite.
I don't know about you but I will be praying for another freak weather event
On the bright side, Bailey gets extra rest vs Buffalo

"Getting faster on D just means Bill is senile."

Faster?
To be determined
Same DL, speedsters Bentley and Perkins, guys shed by former teams, benched Patriots who coaches had little faith in last year, newbies, injured.
Regarding Bill's so called new "speed" embrace, let's be honest.......team speed has been an issue for years yet Bill stuck to his guns....ie oversized LBs, N'Keal Harry, etc.....
But then Kraft stepped in and demanded more voices in the team building office.
My peeps tell me BB was curled up in the fetal position after the Thornton pick ( They could be mistaken)

Last edited:
Serious question for those worried about legs:

With Crable we were concerned about his ability to win battles vs stronger/bigger OL.

So what is the issue with a WRs calves we need to worry about?

Are we concerned his legs are going to break? Is there some correlation to small calves and knee injuries? What else might be the problem?

Oh yes, they are going to start doing things differently now because Brady is gone and it annoys you, one fan
They are doing things differently. Pats have already said so. Pay attention.

As it relates to this nonsense w/ coordinators, it's just that, nonsense. There's zero advantage to not announcing who the play caller will be. It's not like ppl won't be able to figure it out during the games. This isn't coming from one fan. This is coming from across the league. Ex-players are surprised about what is happening.

There's only two realistic possibilities for this charade:

1. Serves as a distraction from the middling effort made this offseason to improve the team; or
2. Bill actually has no idea who will serve as defacto OC less than 3 weeks from mandatory mini camp; or
3. Both

I was never a fan of Bill's cryptic ways even during the dynasty. I find it unprofessional. He obviously got a pass because of his winning ways. Now, it's just pathetic. That's my opinion as a fan of the team and I'm not alone.

BTW, this has nothing to do with BRADY.

Still on the site...
View attachment 43109

Could be such that Ivan told BB hes done but BB is trying to coax another year out of him and/or perhaps offering him a different role with the coaching staff/org, etc.

I can't imagine things are ending on salty terms....

Could be such that Ivan told BB hes done but BB is trying to coax another year out of him and/or perhaps offering him a different role with the coaching staff/org, etc.

I can't imagine things are ending on salty terms....
I would rather see Fears calling offensive plays than either Fat Matt or Judge.

I would rather see Fears calling offensive plays than either Fat Matt or Judge.
In your best judgement you feel a 67 year old RB position coach is best suited to switch to OC and take us to the promised land? Sarcasm and jokes are welcome btw.

Serious question for those worried about legs:

With Crable we were concerned about his ability to win battles vs stronger/bigger OL.

So what is the issue with a WRs calves we need to worry about?

Are we concerned his legs are going to break? Is there some correlation to small calves and knee injuries? What else might be the problem?
tom-brady-randy-moss-practice-24eb819d7d8a6c75.jpg
Skinny legs never seemed to bother this guy.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back