PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coaching Staff Concerns (*posts moved out of rookie camp thread)

IMO skinny legs might be a problem with leg strength and pass protection. 15+ yards down field won’t matter at all in almost all circumstances.

If he is asked to pass protect then he isn’t used properly.

I would rather see Fears calling offensive plays than either Fat Matt or Judge.

I have to disagree here. Fears is a GREAT RB coach. He'd easily be the best position coach the Patriots have had under Bill if he didn't lose that title to Scar. But there's a reason he's been here for three decades (I think?) and was never promoted to that kind of role, and/or didn't pursue it. Being a good coach doesn't make you a good playcaller, and Fears has less experience calling plays than Patricia (and possibly Judge, I don't know how much of it he did in New York).

In your best judgement you feel a 67 year old RB position coach is best suited to switch to OC and take us to the promised land? Sarcasm and jokes are welcome btw.
Yes, that's how concerned I am over either one of the 2 former failed HCs becoming OC.

Fears has been around pre-BB. Has always been on the O side of the ball (incl. WRs), knows the Pats playbook like the Bible. Pats are still a run first team. So, from an experience point of view, he's definately more qualified then the other 2 candidates.

Obviously, it's not happening since he's retired. A bit of hyperbole, but my point stands

They are doing things differently. Pats have already said so. Pay attention.

As it relates to this nonsense w/ coordinators, it's just that, nonsense. There's zero advantage to not announcing who the play caller will be. It's not like ppl won't be able to figure it out during the games. This isn't coming from one fan. This is coming from across the league. Ex-players are surprised about what is happening.

There's only two realistic possibilities for this charade:

1. Serves as a distraction from the middling effort made this offseason to improve the team; or
2. Bill actually has no idea who will serve as defacto OC less than 3 weeks from mandatory mini camp; or
3. Both

I was never a fan of Bill's cryptic ways even during the dynasty. I find it unprofessional. He obviously got a pass because of his winning ways. Now, it's just pathetic. That's my opinion as a fan of the team and I'm not alone.

BTW, this has nothing to do with BRADY.

Nothing has changed, every year an O or D coordinator moved on the Pats never revealed who was the O or D coordinator the next year. The only difference is the amount of outside hires this year.

How exactly are they handling things differently this year?

I'm sure they care Iif you think it's unprofessional

I have to disagree here. Fears is a GREAT RB coach. He'd easily be the best position coach the Patriots have had under Bill if he didn't lose that title to Scar. But there's a reason he's been here for three decades (I think?) and was never promoted to that kind of role, and/or didn't pursue it. Being a good coach doesn't make you a good playcaller, and Fears has less experience calling plays than Patricia (and possibly Judge, I don't know how much of it he did in New York).
Why does Fears being a good coach doesn't make him a good play caller (on what's basically a run first team) but Fat Matt/Judge being good coaches (on different sides of the ball) make them good play callers?

Seems like a very biased take.

Nothing has changed, every year an O or D coordinator moved on the Pats never revealed who was the O or D coordinator the next year. The only difference is the amount of outside hires this year.

How exactly are they handling things differently this year?

I'm sure they care Iif you think it's unprofessional
Don't be lazy. Look it up yourself. Hint: listen to Groh, Mayo, et al.

Why does Fears being a good coach doesn't make him a good play caller (on what's basically a run first team) but Fat Matt/Judge being good coaches (on different sides of the ball) make them good play callers?

Seems like a very biased take.

I didn't say that Patricia/Judge were good playcallers (though I personally had no issue's with Matt there on the defensive side of the ball), just that they were more EXPERIENCED playcallers than Fears, who has been on the team for ages and not once been given that responsibility.

Former Pats players don't agree with what Bill is doing.

Don't be lazy. Look it up yourself. Hint: listen to Groh, Mayo, et al.
You're making the claim, back it up. I'm not wasting my time trying to prove a negative

Wondering who we think taught McDaniels how to call plays and be an OC?

Reading what Judge says about how and what he's going to work w/ Mac on is not comforting. He literally sounds like he's winging it. He's known to have diarrhea of the mouth. Please do yourselves a favor and listen to some of his conferences while he was Giants HC (youtube). He's whacked.

I really hope this character doesn't screw Mac up and causes him to regress.

Wondering who we think taught McDaniels how to call plays and be an OC?
What the student learns is as much on the the student as the teacher. Guessing Parcells taught the same things to Al Groh that he taught to BB, but Bill was smarter and was better able to absorb what he was taught and apply it.

Thus, there’s no guarantee Joe Judge will be as good as an OC as McDaniels just because they had the same teacher.

I'm not sure why people think the Patriots need to declare who's coaching what, to the media.

Is it so hard to believe that maybe they're just keeping mum for now? All the coaches can be on the same page about that and just tossing out generic "I dunno" answers.

Just because we don't know who our scapegoat is for gameday meltdowns doesn't mean they're just going wild in there and colluding against everyone else.

I guarantee it's a boring, simple "why tell them right now? We've not even gotten everyone in the same building yet."

I'm not sure why people think the Patriots need to declare who's coaching what, to the media.

Is it so hard to believe that maybe they're just keeping mum for now? All the coaches can be on the same page about that and just tossing out generic "I dunno" answers.

Just because we don't know who our scapegoat is for gameday meltdowns doesn't mean they're just going wild in there and colluding against everyone else.

I guarantee it's a boring, simple "why tell them right now? We've not even gotten everyone in the same building yet."
The argument appears to be there is no competitive advantage to secrecy. Im still trying to figure out what the advantage is to non-secrecy.
Of course, Bill Belichick wouldn’t know how it affects his team and whether it makes it more difficult on others teams as well as some dude on the internet who thinks it’s useless, because they are looking for something else to complain about.

What the student learns is as much on the the student as the teacher. Guessing Parcells taught the same things to Al Groh that he taught to BB, but Bill was smarter and was better able to absorb what he was taught and apply it.

Thus, there’s no guarantee Joe Judge will be as good as an OC as McDaniels just because they had the same teacher.
There is no guarantee he won’t.
We know that he will be operating under the same boss, and within the system, parameters and philosophies that boss stamped upon the first guy and will stamp upon the next guy.
Judge has worked for Belichick for many years, as has Patricia, so we can be quite confident he is intimately knowledgeable about their ability to learn and implement what he wants.

Former Pats players don't agree with what Bill is doing.

From Bedard: “I’ve heard from people in the last couple days about what’s going on with the offensive coaching staff, and the initial reports I’m getting back are not good at all. And that includes what they’re hearing from the players internally. It’s not going in a good direction.”

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back