PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clemson tonight

Honestly, he doesn't come close to matching the hype for me.
With Weapons he is legit. This year he was Brady with Harry and co.

targeting is the worst rule in sports today. And I agree he should’ve never been thrown out for that hit. There need to be different levels to this rule. The hit last night should be treated different than if he went helmet to helmet. (15 yarder at the most)
It shouldn’t have been called anything. It was just a clean, hard hit. Targeting, in general, is a disgrace of a rule but that just took the ridiculousness to a whole new level.

With Weapons he is legit. This year he was Brady with Harry and co.
He still makes some very questionable decisions with the ball. Throws off his back foot way, way, way too often. Whoever coaches the Jaguars next will have to coach him on that bad habit. That said? I do agree that his weapons in the passing game are a far cry from what they were in his true freshman season, when they won the NC. Any team that can essentially shut down Etienne effectively shuts down Clemson’s offense.

It shouldn’t have been called anything. It was just a clean, hard hit. Targeting, in general, is a disgrace of a rule but that just took the ridiculousness to a whole new level.
I am Clemson alum so that sucked but you just can't use the crown like that, intentional or not. These are kids so I like the rule to protect them but I hate the word "targeting".

I am Clemson alum so that sucked but you just can't use the crown like that, intentional or not. These are kids so I like the rule to protect them but I hate the word "targeting".

It was a bang, bang play and Fields lowered his center of gravity to brace for the hit. Otherwise, the shoulder pad would have done the majority of the damage there. The targeting called on OSU last year against Clemson was equally ridiculous. Most of these targeting calls are. College ball is at the point where hard hits in general are being flagged.

Lawrence is as close to a sure thing as you are going to get. Easy decision for Jax. I was very impressed by Fields though.
Exactly. People fundamentally misunderstand the point of a draft. You aren't getting Lawrence because you think he's Brady or Manning. Uou are getting him because he will have a high floor that guarantees he will not bust and you are at a minimum getting a franchise QB with potential and high upside.

It was a bang, bang play and Fields lowered his center of gravity to brace for the hit. Otherwise, the shoulder pad would have done the majority of the damage there. The targeting called on OSU last year against Clemson was equally ridiculous. Most of these targeting calls are. College ball is at the point where hard hits in general are being flagged.

He may have been trying to hit with the shoulder who knows but the result was he speared him. It was unfortunate but with better form he could have made a hard tackle without the penalty.

Edit: my point on "targeting" was that I hate the name of the rule, makes it sound like there is intent when the rule doesn't and shouldn't care about intent.

Last edited:
He may have been trying to hit with the shoulder who knows but the result was he speared him. It was unfortunate but with better form he could have made a hard tackle without the penalty.
His form was fine. Watch the video. If Fields, who was a runner at that point, doesn’t lower his center of gravity, his legs are taking the brunt of the impact. Hell, the refs just threw a flag on A&M for one of their tackles landing on Sam Howell right after he threw the ball. The contact happened immediately after the ball left his hand. There was nothing the tackle could do there, but there was still a flag and a 15 yard penalty. The Skalski hit and the hit I just described are perfect examples of how they’re merely flagging hard hits nowadays.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back