PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clearly I have too much time on my hands, but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With all the talk about the Miles Garrett situation and how horrible the Cleveland operation is these days (from top to bottom), it got me thinking about a 2020 scenario that made me sad.

I could see Josh McDaniels and Nick Cassario BOTH going home to Ohio and taking on the Cleveland Browns. It simply makes too much sense. Josh is the guy who can discipline the raw talent that is Baker Mayfield and run a competent offense with more talent that he's EVER had here.

Nick is free to leave, but does he REALLY want to go to the draft depleted Texas, or rather go home with his best friend and have even a better roster to start with. He knows how to build a team and he can bring the Brown the FA/NFL scouting that the Pats do so well. They both have the skills to turn that talent into a TEAM

With Bill talking about coaching into his 70's and Mayo and his other son Steve knocking on the door to be future HC's in four or 5 years, does he really want to wait? The Browns would be a PERFECT job for these 2 friends to go home to Ohio and be the pair to FINALLY brings Cleveland Browns fans into the promised land.

Like I said it makes just too much sense. So it probably won't happen. ;)

Average ownership..if that... Gm brings in some shady players with no culture to support it

Baker is no longer a draw. He’s a huge liability. A mouthy, arrogant, know-it-all who doesn’t even have great skills.

Obviously it depends on how the Browns finish out the season.

Browns only play 1 team with a winning record the rest of the way so if they go 5-1 and finish 9-7 they have a playoff shot.
Which means it would be tough to justify firing Kitchens.

Another factor IMO is how they judge Mayfield, is he truly a franchise QB?

Baker has seem to regress this year and might make Josh hesitant to hitch his team to his wagon.

Would the owner give Josh the power to draft who he wants and play the guys he wants? Good teams start at the top with ownership, not sure they have that.

browns haven't had a winning season since Haslam bought the franchise... (Last coach to have a winning records was Romeo!) ... Josh walked away from the unstable Irsay ... not sure he'd want to get into bed with a guy who re-invented the dumpster fire when he bought the browns, Jimmy Haslam

I've been thinking about this possibility for awhile. It really makes too much sense to happen.

CLE has a lot of talent. I presume that Josh would want responsibility for hiring his own coordinators and position coaches. If he doesn't like how Dorsey drafts, then he should go.

With all the talk about the Miles Garrett situation and how horrible the Cleveland operation is these days (from top to bottom), it got me thinking about a 2020 scenario that made me sad.

I could see Josh McDaniels and Nick Cassario BOTH going home to Ohio and taking on the Cleveland Browns. It simply makes too much sense. Josh is the guy who can discipline the raw talent that is Baker Mayfield and run a competent offense with more talent that he's EVER had here.

Nick is free to leave, but does he REALLY want to go to the draft depleted Texas, or rather go home with his best friend and have even a better roster to start with. He knows how to build a team and he can bring the Brown the FA/NFL scouting that the Pats do so well. They both have the skills to turn that talent into a TEAM

With Bill talking about coaching into his 70's and Mayo and his other son Steve knocking on the door to be future HC's in four or 5 years, does he really want to wait? The Browns would be a PERFECT job for these 2 friends to go home to Ohio and be the pair to FINALLY brings Cleveland Browns fans into the promised land.

Like I said it makes just too much sense. So it probably won't happen. ;)

Last edited:
I’d actually be interested in this poll result: when BB retires (let’s say 2025) who would you rather replace him, given only current knowledge of their coaching abilities: Josh or Steve?

Two years ago I’d say Josh but now I’m not so sure...

Are we presuming that Josh will succeed or fail at this next coaching stop? He certainly won't be here for the 2025 season.

I’d actually be interested in this poll result: when BB retires (let’s say 2025) who would you rather replace him, given only current knowledge of their coaching abilities: Josh or Steve?

Two years ago I’d say Josh but now I’m not so sure...

Nick Cassario is not going to the Browns with John Dorsey around. Kitchens may go, but Dorsey is unlikely to be fired.

Are we presuming that Josh will succeed or fail at this next coaching stop? He certainly won't be here for the 2025 season.

Yeah that’s part of the question I guess.

When Josh almost left for the Colts I assumed that part of the deal that got him to stay was a guarantee he’d be the next Pats head coach. But given BB indicating he’s not slowing down, and the apparent rise of SB, it seems like that guarantee might not be too solid.

To state the obvious, football is a business. If Kraft wants to guarantee Josh the head coaching job after Bill retires, then he should put that writing. I don't think that this will happen.

Yeah that’s part of the question I guess.

When Josh almost left for the Colts I assumed that part of the deal that got him to stay was a guarantee he’d be the next Pats head coach. But given BB indicating he’s not slowing down, and the apparent rise of SB, it seems like that guarantee might not be too solid.

Nick Cassario is not going to the Browns with John Dorsey around. Kitchens may go, but Dorsey is unlikely to be fired.

You're right; my bad. Casserio won't be in CLE if he can get a GM job elsewhere. Dorsey is there for awhile.

For Casserio to go to CLE, they would need to create a title and give him a hefty raise.

QUESTION
Of the coaches on OFFENSE, who would go with Josh to CLE? My guess is that Josh wouldn't rock the boat too much on the defensive side of the ball.

SIDE ISSUE
Who will be the future coaches on OFFENSE for the patriots? Belichick has the present and future set on DEFENSE.

Good post with some out of the box thinking , I would tend to agree with most posters that these two could probably turn around the football side but the management/organisation as a whole is another thing altogether

Dorsey is the real architect of this accountability cluster**** and until he gets fired the Browns won't go anywhere. If the current iteration of the Browns starts to fall apart this offseason and there is no success next year he will be on a hot seat or even straight fired.

PFK was thinking the same thing, but not quite so eloquently as you did.

I grew up a Cleveland Fan before the AFC became a "real" league, and have had a soft spot for that team despite their struggles.. After watching us beat them was convinced that a major issue is really crappy coaching, and nothing after the Thursday nite brawl convinces me otherwise.. Freddie Kitchen and staff all need to be released if they want to create a winning culture in Cleveland.

I know that this Cleveland team is not really the Cleveland team with the Art Modell BS and all, but they bear the name and the colors..

Has Mayfield been so spoiled that if McDaniels came in could he effectively change the way he does things?? Can he accept the coaching of a credible coach like McDaniels??

Cleveland reeks of entitlement and self aggrandizement, who ever assumes that role will have a herculean task of changing that culture.. that combined with really crappy upper level management will, unless a major change is made, will banish them to more mediocrity and crappy play.

McDaniels could probably do that, but would they allow him to do what needs to be done??.. if not than it would just be wasted effort for Josh.

Last edited:
There is a saying in the Tao Te Ching that you spoil a frying fish when you poke it too much. And that's what makes Kraft special- his willingness to just stay away from football operations, his unconditional trust in BB.

This isn't the case with the more incompetent owners like Snyder, Rosen, Jones, and Haslam (whose fortune was sustained and enriched through fraudulence) all of who are used to having their fingers in as many pies as they can get into.

That's the harsh reality that hits the talented and intelligent people like Flores, who go to these dumpster fires, thinking they can succeed where so many previous coaches or GMs have failed, not realizing that the real reasons behind these failures have nothing to do with intelligence or experience.

Last edited:
Baker is no longer a draw. He’s a huge liability. A mouthy, arrogant, know-it-all who doesn’t even have great skills.
His mouth is writing checks his play can't cash

PFK was thinking the same thing, but not quite so eloquently as you did.

I grew up a Cleveland Fan before the AFC became a "real" league, and have had a soft spot for that team despite their struggles.. After watching us beat them was convinced that a major issue is really crappy coaching, and nothing after the Thursday nite brawl convinces me otherwise.. Freddie Kitchen and staff all need to be released is they want to create a winning culture in Cleveland.

I know that this Cleveland team is not really the Cleveland team with the Art Modell BS and all, but they bear the name and the colors..

Has Mayfield been so spoiled that if McDaniels came in could he effectively change the way he does things?? Can he accept the coaching of a credible coach like McDaniels??

Cleveland reeks of entitlement and self aggrandizement, who ever assumes that role will have a herculean task of changing the culture.. that combined with really crappy upper level management will, unless a major change is made, will banish them to more mediocrity and crappy play.

McDaniels could probably do that, but would they allow him to do what needs to be done.. if not than it would just be more wasted time for Josh.
Josh and Nick would gut the organization. I don't see Haslem wanting that.

I don't see them firing Dorsey. He's up-leveled the talent there.

Kitchens is awful. He is so not ready to lead THAT young of a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes