PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Clarification" for the helmet rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterfallJumper

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Thanks, Mr. Riveron! o_O

EDIT: Below are some pictures from the "foul" plays that a sleuth put together. I see why they're penalties under the new rule, but I still think this is a nightmare in the making.

Last edited:
WTF? Especially the last one...no contact at all...the QB slid?

Defender #92, I believe, on review . . .

Welcome to the new NFL.

We will have to adjust. I am hoping we can adjust tonight and in the Carolina game.

It could be an advantage in the first 1-2 weeks if our players don't lead with he helmet and we pick up a few penalties before teams adjust.

Also, this is gong to put more emphasis on goo fundamental tackling....something we were bad at in SB 52...

Further clarification for the new rule:

"If you're playing football while wearing a helmet, there's a significant chance that you'll be flagged for a foul."

This is going to be an absolute cluster****. Keep making rules like this and the next time, the networks will be bending you over the table during negotiations.

The nfl puts out a video showing a db making an open field tackle by standing straight up and catching the runner and call it the nfl way to play. Wow.

We will have to adjust. I am hoping we can adjust tonight and in the Carolina game.

It could be an advantage in the first 1-2 weeks if our players don't lead with he helmet and we pick up a few penalties before teams adjust.

Also, this is gong to put more emphasis on goo fundamental tackling....something we were bad at in SB 52...
Not really because good fundamental tackling puts the head in the vicinity of the hit while wrestling or “catching” or lowering a shoulder without wrapping keeps you clear of the rule

I feel like I am playing a really hard “spot the difference” game.

It’s harder when you don’t know what hit they are referring to and you have to search.

Further clarification for the new rule:

"If you're playing football while wearing a helmet, there's a significant chance that you'll be flagged for a foul."
Or
“We want you to play football without hitting anyone”

They could call holding on every play and now this. This gives too much control to the refs and New York. This must be connected to the sports betting that will be going on everywhere.

If you scroll waaay down the Twitter comments, you'll find a series of pictures where someone took it frame by frame and circled the hits the NFL doesn't like. It's including blocking or hits away from the play, it looks like.

Here, I found it:

I thought that this was a put on by the original poster since nothing looked egregious in any of the plays. ... until I actually saw that this was legitimate and posted by the NFL on various sites. YIKES! This is gonna be a nightmare!

Not really because good fundamental tackling puts the head in the vicinity of the hit while wrestling or “catching” or lowering a shoulder without wrapping keeps you clear of the rule

Actually, with fundamental tackling you need to put your head up and not tackle with the shoulder...but tackle centrally with your chest/face into the player's numbers.

It requires a player to take a good base stance prior to making a tackle (so you can use your legs to drive into the numbers) versus just throwing your body like a projectile. This requires players to be in a good position.

Actually, with fundamental tackling you need to put your head up and not tackle with the shoulder...but tackle centrally with your chest/face into the player's numbers.
That is a penalty now.

It requires a player to take a good base stance prior to making a tackle (so you can use your legs to drive into the numbers) versus just throwing your body like a projectile. This requires players to be in a good position.
Good tackling does, this rule doesn’t.

That is a penalty now.

Good tackling does, this rule doesn’t.

Not sure...I remain confused like everyone else is. We will have to see how it goes. IMO, a good fundamental tackle isn't "leading with your helmet"....but that is only my opinion....

Not sure...I remain confused like everyone else is. We will have to see how it goes. IMO, a good fundamental tackle isn't "leading with your helmet"....but that is only my opinion....
It comes down to what is called.
That was my point. Proper technique puts you at risk of a flag.
Some of the lazy tackling methods that you see in the NFL will never get the flag. I expect poorer tackling and more missed tackles.

It comes down to what is called.
That was my point. Proper technique puts you at risk of a flag.
Some of the lazy tackling methods that you see in the NFL will never get the flag. I expect poorer tackling and more missed tackles.

Interesting perspective. I think it will reward fundamental tackling more....

If poorer tackling...then that might be an advantage for guys we have that are good in space (e.g. Edelman) or hard to bring down (e.g. Gronk).

Not sure if that would be good for our D.

Interesting perspective. I think it will reward fundamental tackling more....

If poorer tackling...then that might be an advantage for guys we have that are good in space (e.g. Edelman) or hard to bring down (e.g. Gronk).

Not sure if that would be good for our D.
It’s moving toward “you hit him hard, 15 yards”.
They aren’t going to look for whether the hot was made properly or not. If it looks vicious and the head is in the vicinity they will throw it.
That’s what has happened with the defenseless player rule. Clean hits that rock the player are flags.

Look at the tackle by the jete DB in the examples. It’s #2 of the “good”. That’s a horrible job of tackling and the league just endorsed it as how the game should be played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST