PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cian Fahey on Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cian Fahey's analysis of Brady's 2016 season is available at Pre-Snap Reads Quarterback Catalogue 2017 ($19.99) Note that the Brady chapter can be obtained separately. That site is known for introducing the "interceptable passes" statistic and for its all-22 based stats analysis.

Obviously, Fahey notes Brady is "historically before the snap" with "lightning quick release" and "post-snap processing". He is "one step ahead of the defense in everything he does".

The area of profound concern for the 2017 season, however, is that "Brady's arm strength declined as the season wore on." Only 2.79% of his passes were interceptable, 8th in the league. Brady only threw seven interceptable passes in 12 regular games - but he threw nine more passes in two playoff games against Texas and Atlanta. Like me, Fahey argues that there is statistical support that the 4-game suspension helped Brady. (I argued in another thread a while ago that Brady should sit the first 4 games of 2017 for that reason).

Fahey called the addition of Cooks "odd" because the Patriots already have a deep threat.

What a total load of f. cking garbage.

There are a number of problems with the "poor arm strength" hypothesis.

Firstly its mostly based on decline in precision in the playoff games. The Patriots were playing higher quality playoff defenses, and one would expect there to be a decline in passing performance. Brady was under significant pressure throughout the Houston game in particular so not have a clean pocked and ability to plant his feet would lead to decline in pass strength, not his arm strength.

Secondly he points to the OT passes during the SuperBowl. Brady completed the second most amount of passes EVER in any game, let alone playoff game in the Superbowl

NFL Passes Completed Single Game Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

So after this historically prolific and tiring night, where the opponents Head Coach attributed the loss to his defense being gassed, we're quibbling that Tom was tired a little. Clearly he was less tired than the opposing defense were and he completed the passes he needed to, but if you draw a trend of his passes during the season in isolation, then no wonder the performance dips during playoffs, and dipped further at the end of this historic game.

This analysis is bogus in my opinion.

Julio Jones was the best player on the field during the SB? The guy had 4 catches, no TD's, and less than 100 yards. He wasn't even in the top three or four best players on the field that day.

For all their other issues late, not getting Jones involved more was a major mistake. It is fine to let others be the focus in your average game, but not in the biggest games. Great players need to play great. The quality was there for Jones, but not the quantity. I am sure the Pats contributed, but he is good enough to still make plays. Got to believe that was a big regret for Quinn.

It's harder to play quarterback against playoff-caliber defenses. More at 11.

Seriously, this is some basic ****. Just by virtue of being in the playoffs, you're playing against a significantly higher level of competition. Add in the incredibly small sample size on which the guy's drawing conclusions, and there's just nothing there.

Pre-Snap Reads Quarterback Catalogue 2017 ($19.99)

It's a QB catalogue?
What are the delivery costs if I order (1) Brady, (1) Garoppolo, and (1) Romo to fill out my foursome next week?

Last edited:
this mutt should pay ME $200 to not hunt his punk azz down and beat the shyts out of him. How revealing that he's a Discount Double Dork pork sword waver. ES&D Cian...otherwise, all the best...:cool:

Maybe I was a little hasty in my reaction to Fahey's column on Brady's performance in relation to Fahey's Advanced Parallel Universe Statisitical Analysis of Things That Could Have Happened But Never Did. After finishing his previous article "Aaron Dobson >Randy Moss" I gained a much greater understanding of Cian's methodology and thought process. I now look forward to all of his future reverse prognostications.

and change your ****ing name back to Sean you pathetic elitist little turd twirler...Oh look at me!! I'm SPECIAL TWERP GUY! I'm C-I-A-N..Cian! See how gaa gaa goony special mommy and daddy made me? Love you Aaron! Can I sniff your cup? How about your jock? Armpits?

Yeah, those 2 passes to Edelman and Hogan in OT had nothing on them. In fairness, loss of arm strength shows first when you don't have clean feet.

This wasn't said in jest? Those passes were exactly what they needed to be.

and change your ****ing name back to Sean you pathetic elitist little turd twirler...Oh look at me!! I'm SPECIAL TWERP GUY! I'm C-I-A-N..Cian! See how gaa gaa goony special mommy and daddy made me? Love you Aaron! Can I sniff your cup? How about your jock? Armpits?

Mods please ban this clown for anti-Irish racism. The Irish may be degenerate and apelike but making fun of Irish names is just a step too far.

This wasn't said in jest? Those passes were exactly what they needed to be.

It was in jest. The 2nd part is true - arm strength issues first show up on throw when defenders get at the QBs feet (the Falcons did not do that in OT). Not saying this is the case with Brady - but it is where to look for signs of trouble.

Mods please ban this clown for anti-Irish racism. The Irish may be degenerate and apelike but making fun of Irish names is just a step too far.

My last name is O'Neil.... try a frontal lobotomy

Now, now. Calling the Irish degenerate? Haven't we, as Americans, come far enough that we no longer need to insult the Irish by using words they can't possibly understand?

Relax. It's a joke. Some of my best friends hate the Irish.*

*Relax. I'm kidding. I'm a big fan of the Irish. Guinness is great, and I'm sure they've given us something besides alcohol, too. Ok, I'm not sure, but it's possible.

" interceptable passes," seriously, get the f.ck out of here. Unbelievable. Next we will have possible fumbles that were never dropped.

Exactly. "Interceptable passes" is subjective, and once someone adds their opinions into their statistics, it all becomes worthless

Until a couple of days ago, I had never heard of this clown before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes