PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chiefs release both starting tackles

Chiefs were in a bad cap situation. I'm surprised the Texans are back in green on the cap I thought Caserio was in a tough spot. Was it all getting rid of Watt that got them back under the cap ??

Both starting Ts cut
Starting C & LG set be FAs
Back-up Swing T & G set to be FAs
Back-up C set to be a FA

So is their plan just to draft a bunch of OL and hope for the best?

ChiefsPlanet seems to be somewhat understanding of the move.

What there isn't a Brett Veach hate thread on there? He's the guy that currently has Frank Clark taking up a $25m cap hit and they can't do anything about it unless they find a sucker team to take him because he'd be close to a $40m cap hit to cut.

Yeah dumping OL after losing because of a dead OL looks bad on paper, but both guys have health issues/history that were part of why they weren't in the SB in the first place.

The big question is if they can do an absolutely massive (no pun intended lol) OL overhaul in just one offseason so Mahomes isn't under siege again because that whole unit is DOA now.

This is what happens when you have a QB who takes every possible penny. Thank you again Tom for being the ultimate team player and ensuring greatness for 20 seasons. This will be just the start for KC, wait a few more years when the big patty money really kicks in

Chiefs were in a bad cap situation. I'm surprised the Texans are back in green on the cap I thought Caserio was in a tough spot. Was it all getting rid of Watt that got them back under the cap ??
JJ Watt was a $17 million clean cut.

What there isn't a Brett Veach hate thread on there? He's the guy that currently has Frank Clark taking up a $25m cap hit and they can't do anything about it unless they find a sucker team to take him because he'd be close to a $40m cap hit to cut.
There was but it's been archived.

I guess they want to rebuild their Oline after the SB debacle. Draft, FA, the opt-outs coming back.

I guess they are addressing the right problem... even though they are cutting two guys who were not in the SB.

This is what happens when you have a QB who takes every possible penny. Thank you again Tom for being the ultimate team player and ensuring greatness for 20 seasons. This will be just the start for KC, wait a few more years when the big patty money really kicks in

Maybe looking at Mahomes contract before posting something like this would be helpful. Its one of the most team friendly deals out there.
Its other contracts that are the problem..

***looks around***

9?
tenor.gif

Is this the start of what happens when you win a sb? everyone wants to get paid More because they got a ring. Pretty soon the assistant coaches will start getting picked off.

Mahomes actually has one year left of having a very reasonable cap hit. He currently ranks 15th in the League for 2021 behind the likes of Ryan, Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Goff, Garoppolo, Roethlisberger, Wentz.

IIRC, they can restructure him next year and bring the number down to a very reasonable $15M for 2022. It won't be until 2023 when the pain really hits, although the cap itself should be quite a bit higher by then.

Is this the start of what happens when you win a sb? everyone wants to get paid More because they got a ring. Pretty soon the assistant coaches will start getting picked off.
This is what happens when you have two high dollar tackles, one recovering from a torn achilles and the other retiring after back surgery

Im sure there are a few dozen posts here saying he is better than the idiot belichick

Yep. Their time to hit it was these past 3 seasons and they have only on ring because the GOAT beat them the other 2 years. With the depressed cap, this has only accelerated the process. They are the very definition of a top heavy team with a bulk of their cap tied up in just 5 players - Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Clark and Mathieu. They will struggle to have any depth which is what ultimately cost them vs Tampa. Their back up linemen were trash and now they just released the starters. LOL.

Yep. Their time to hit it was these past 3 seasons and they have only on ring because the GOAT beat them the other 2 years. With the depressed cap, this has only accelerated the process. They are the very definition of a top heavy team with a bulk of their cap tied up in just 5 players - Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Clark and Mathieu. They will struggle to have any depth which is what ultimately cost them vs Tampa. Their back up linemen were trash and now they just released the starters. LOL.

i was looking up the cap info, and looked at the rams. According to sportrac the rams are 40 mil over, and its all on like 5 players which huge dead cap hits.

i was looking up the cap info, and looked at the rams. According to sportrac the rams are 40 mil over, and its all on like 5 players which huge dead cap hits.
The Rams are in a class all by themselves. They build their team as if the cap does not exist.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back