PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charlie Weis beating the "Patriots should draft Mac Jones" drum

I agree with what you said but there are still things uncertain that can be concerning:
- Bama's offense play design and play calling was really good. He threw a lot of swings and screens who did result in td, a lot of YAC and Slants. That won't translate
- O-Line pass protection was really good, he usually had a lot of time and at some point his wr are open with time. He won't have this time at the next Level. My question is here how fast can he go trougj his reads and makes his decision. Is he able to throw the ball away or holds on to long. Idk about that, but I value this
That aren't the biggest things but still sth to look at. I can honestly see carolina take a shot at Jones cause they liked him at Senior bowl and admitted they lost a lot of close games so they are just a better qb play away from 8/9 wins. He might be gone by 15
I feel pretty much the same way. Jones throws an high amount of screen and short passes and took advantage of the WR talent at his disposal. You can see this in the heat map of Jones' pass distribution:

image_2021-02-21_162104.png

I think Sarkisian used Tua and Mac Jones perfectly for the offense at Alabama designed around their skillset which showed in the their stats being similar. Jones' arm strength is similar to Tua's who struggled with tight window throws/outside the hashes in Miami's offense this year while not possessing the mobility that Tua has.

The tight window throws and lack of mobility is also a couple of reasons why Jones is graded lower than Burrow despite similar stats in college.

Who knows?

Remember when Andrew Luck was a sure thing generational franchise QB, then some 3rd rounder became the best QB of that class?

I feel pretty much the same way. Jones throws an high amount of screen and short passes and took advantage of the WR talent at his disposal. You can see this in the heat map of Jones' pass distribution:

View attachment 30684

I think Sarkisian used Tua and Mac Jones perfectly for the offense at Alabama designed around their skillset which showed in the their stats being similar. Jones' arm strength is similar to Tua's who struggled with tight window throws/outside the hashes in Miami's offense this year while not possessing the mobility that Tua has.

Thanks for the info, I agree. I think others are having higher ceiling in this class than MJ but he showed good reads and decisions. The thing is can he speed up his reads/decisions and make those tight window throws which will be necessary given our lack of separation. Even if we sign a Number 1 it probably won't be a Robinson caliber WR. I am not sold on Jones at 15 and wouldn't probably draft him there..depends of course who else is available and are there trade down partners
The tight window throws and lack of mobility is also a couple of reasons why Jones is graded lower than Burrow despite similar stats in college.

He's been beating the drum for Mac Jones for a while. He said back in November (I think) that watching Mac Jones play was as close as he's seen to a Brady clone.
I can see some of the Brady comparisons. He’s not a great athlete, but he’s good at moving in the pocket. He’s really good at moving the defense with his eyes. He’s great at dropping passes in the bucket, so accurately. He’s also extremely smart at reading defenses and getting rid of the ball fast. He’ll take the check down instead of forcing things into things that aren’t open.

Like Brady, people talk about his arm strength, he may not have the strongest arm out of the 2021 QBs, but he can make all of the throws. I’ve seen him throw 50+ yards on a line, in stride for TDs. And he’s a winner. People may talk about the weapons he had, but nobody ever talked about Tua having weapons, and stats wise, he had a better career than Tua at Alabama.

Id be thrilled if we come out of the draft with Jones as our 1st round pick.

Mac Jones isn’t worth the #15 pick
This and more than that, will you even be able to get him at 15 or will you have to give up other assets to move up? GMs do crazy things to get QBs ie Trubinsky.

Thats not much of a thinking ;)

League seems to be higher on Jones than draftnicks. Riddick said similar thing. Tannebaum as well. Also, the league seems to be lower on top of next QB class than draftnicks and fans. This will factor in as well. In the end he might not be there at #15.

Draftnicks had all kinds of reservations on Watson (incl ex pro scouts Jeremiah, Brooks) and Lombardi was the only one i can remember consistently beating the drum that the guy is a winner and people should not overthink. (im not saying Jones is Watson or what his NFL future holds..)

NFL QB & NE spec. is about the mind - mind set, decision making (+accuracy, timing, anticipation). I feel very comfortable if BB drafts him bc he will be the only one getting the most important info on Jones in personal, long, old friendly conversation with Saban.

Here two analysis from QB guys for a more balanced view:

If Tannebaum backs him the pats should run away from jones. Tannebaum was the GM of the Jest and the Fins before they started to become decent.

View attachment 30684

Then PFF releases that same article saying he led CFB in such the tight windows metric.

I would feel really good if Bill snagged Jones. I understand the first (for the most part) should be for those over the top, generational prospects, but when it comes to QB’s, you can’t afford to screw around. If Bill & Co. have a 2nd rd grade on him, draft ‘em at 15. If he lasts that long, he won’t slide much more. I’d like to see the team sign/trade for a solid pro’s pro and give Jones time to develop. If he can play under Saban, he can play under Bill. That’s the biggest hurdle.

Last edited:
Fitz and a Pick
Fitz and a Pick
We want our team to get Fitz and a Pick.

To the tune of 'Pumps and a Bump' by MC Hammer. I'm the new Wax Frog.
I hated to disagree with such a humble example of board "input" but you, sir are no Wax Frog....Waxed Flog perhaps...or Vexed Trog...

What does Charlie Weiss know, all he did was develop the greatest QB in history in the QB's most critical development years, win 3 rings, plus be a part of the best drafting and development of players during the entire Patriots dynasty.

If Weis was so talented at developing players why was he a failure everywhere else?

4500 yds, 41 td's 5 picks. Pretty impressive numbers even while playing for a team as strong as Alabama. He isn't very mobile. Have we decided that pocket passers are better now, or that mobile run around passers are where the league will be going forward? I think fans get caught up in the numbers and the dual threat stuff. I just don't know if that is the best choice or not.
A superb primarily pocket passer will ALWAYS be better than run- around guy.
Accuracy is still the #1 trait for a good qb.
Decision-making making probably #2.
Love of football#3.
Speed? Almost irrelevant.
Moving well within the pocket,like TB12, is way more important than runnibg ability.
The nfl is still about: success on 3rd/4th down and red zone. Wilson didnt get really good until he started playing more and better in the pocket. Mahomes is not a runnibg qb. His passing, whether from the pocket or on the run, is whst makes him great. Hes much more like Steve Young,Favre and Rodgers than he is Lamar Jackson Cam Newton or Vick.
Running can be an occasional helpful
thing for a qb, but it better not be what you do best or you wont have longterm success.
If Mac Jones reminds me of anyone, its Drew Brees.

Who knows?

Remember when Andrew Luck was a sure thing generational franchise QB, then some 3rd rounder became the best QB of that class?

There were actually 2 QBs in that draft taken in the 3rd round that won SBs. Kirk Cousins was taken in the 4th in the draft.
Tannenhill was the 3rd QB taken in the 1st and his career has been much better than Robert Griffin who was picked #2 and given that Andrew Luck retired extremely early he's had a better football career or at least his draft pick position is more justified, not really Tannenhill's fault he was in a division dominated by Brady/Belichick and he had incompetent coaches. He's been in Tennessee 2 years and has made the playoffs twice. Then there was Brock Osweiler, who was taken in the 2nd in that draft who actually did more for the Broncos in 2015 to help win the SB than Manning did.

I hated to disagree with such a humble example of board "input" but you, sir are no Wax Frog....Waxed Flog perhaps...or Vexed Trog...

I am going to beat you up IRL

If Weis was so talented at developing players why was he a failure everywhere else?

Such facts matter not. All discussions must be turned into a criticism of Josh McDaniels.

There is no other course. All is meaningless. Life exists for the sole purpose of complaining about our Offensive Coordinator.

Questions about the Cap? The answer is OC Man Bad
Ideas about who to draft? The answer is OC Man Bad
Field turf changes? The answer is OC Man Bad
Problems stopping the run? The answer is OC Man Bad

Do not resist. Submit to this and find peace.

Interestingly, besides Montana, the only other starting QB who's won both a D1A College Championship and a Super Bowl was an Alabama QB who was also suspended in college for a drinking related issue. "I wanna kiss yooouuu."

Jones isn’t a first rounder and we will all be reminded of the gap between talking heads and football GMs on draft day.

Jones isn’t a first rounder and we will all be reminded of the gap between talking heads and football GMs on draft day.

Problem is there are enough QB needy teams that he might go in the first round.

If Patriots feel they can get him at a lower first rounder I wouldn't mind trading down and picking up a 2nd

Of course Jones had a great season.

He played for the best NCAAF HC and with the best WR in the country and one of the best RBs. How many Tide players will go in the first 3 rounds? 2nd string Alabama players would start at other schools.

I listen to Sirius NFL 88 and Weis has said some crazy things on there. I do not recall any QBs that Weis was high on turning out great.

Of course Jones had a great season.

He played for the best NCAAF HC and with the best WR in the country and one of the best RBs. How many Tide players will go in the first 3 rounds? 2nd string Alabama players would start at other schools.

I listen to Sirius NFL 88 and Weis has said some crazy things on there. I do not recall any QBs that Weis was high on turning out great.
Yes, but this is a cop out. Let's face it. Alabama had the pick of the best qb's in the country coming out of high school and chose Jones. He had an OMG incredible year and did everything he possibly could have. Yet he gets down graded for playing on a really strong team. I do agree you certainly have to take his teammates into account, but you also have to give him some credit for doing what he did. It was a special season.

Yes, but this is a cop out. Let's face it. Alabama had the pick of the best qb's in the country coming out of high school and chose Jones. He had an OMG incredible year and did everything he possibly could have. Yet he gets down graded for playing on a really strong team. I do agree you certainly have to take his teammates into account, but you also have to give him some credit for doing what he did. It was a special season.

Last edited:

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back