PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charlie Weis beating the "Patriots should draft Mac Jones" drum

Weird. Maybe that was just in comparison to Burrow alone. This article says he was the most accurate on tight window throws this season-by a large margin..

And all of this success isn’t entirely because he has open throw after open throw. He's actually thrown into a tight window on 15.2% of his passes this season, a rate that is about four percentage points higher than Tagovailoa's last season and is nearly double that of Justin Fields (8.3%) this year. Oh, and Jones has also been the most accurate passer on tight-window throws this season — by a large margin.”

Now i'm confused :p

I could excuse fans of other teams thinking Brady doesn’t have one of the strongest arms in the game but a Pats fan?

The entire myth has been build upon the last decade when the only deep threats Brady had were Cooks and Hogan, and the Pats offense was build upon short and medium passes.

Go and re-watch highlights from 2007. Brady was throwing 50-60 yards passes to Moss with the absolute ease. He overthrew Moss with a 70 yard pass against the Cowboys. Hit Moss right in the hands with a 70+ yard pass in the SB right after being slammed on the previous down.

Even this year, Brady was throwing 50 yard bombs 5 times a game, at age 43.

Of all the myths and inaccuracies about Brady, the notion that he didn’t/doesn’t have a cannon of an arm, is the most false.

Not to mention that arm strength doesn't have to mean long bombs. Getting a ball into a tight window is easier when you can drill it there, reducing the chance a defender has to close that window. Hitting a screen pass with some zip gives the RB/WR an extra half second to turn upfield before the defender can shed his block. Brady has always had arm strength, it just probably wasn't very evident early in his career because of the type of game plan he was asked to run, so the narrative stuck. People are usually too lazy to change opinions.

How does Jones compared to a guy like kirk cousins? Is he in the same mold or better?

Remember Bill Parcells saying the Jacoby Brissett is so mature and highly recommending him? I think it is best to read @BaconGrundleCandy 's recommendations and then wait until the Pats pick. The Patriots might suck at picking wide receivers, but they have been one of the best at picking QBs. Sit and wait is the best strategy and it will become clear soon enough. :oops:

They don't pick WRs well, but their rate for picking WRs has been about the same as their rate at picking QBs! (Ducks). They are the worst at picking DBs though.

Granted, these positions seem to be the positions that everyone has difficulty with.

But still, Brady, Davey, O'Connell, Kingsbury, Mallet, Cassel, Robinson, Garoppolo, Brisset, Etling, Stidham. That's 11 picks and 3 hits (Cassel, Garoppolo and Brady) though Brady is the greatest hit in NFL history. At the WR position they are at 14 picks and 4 hits (Givens, Branch, Edelman and Mitchell [not counting Berrios since he's playing ok for another team as a late 7th rounder]). It's about the same hit rate. Don't look at the DBs though--it is horrifically bad.

If this is fact then why are all the recent Bama QBs mediocre to bad NFL players? Because they are no longer surrounded by the best players in the country that the others schools lack.

The Tide doesnt need a great QB to win.

I want a QB who makes those around him better not the opposite.
He basically had a perfect season this year. I am not quite sure what you mean by a QB who makes people around him better, when both he and his team had a perfect season. Not sure what else he could do, except be more perfecter??

No the Tide didn't need a great QB to win, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a great QB, it simply means you have to look at what he did and go beyond simple stats.

He certainly may not be the answer, the draft is an inexact science, but simply saying his team was too good, he must suck certainly doesn't do justice to how good or bad a player he is.

In a different year when Jones could be had in the 2nd I'd LOVE the pick. At 15? Not as much.

But if they take him there it tells me Bill likes him a lot so I'll give him a shot.

It's very possible (likely maybe?) that he isn't even there at 15. Just too many teams looking for QB.

They don't pick WRs well, but their rate for picking WRs has been about the same as their rate at picking QBs! (Ducks). They are the worst at picking DBs though.

Granted, these positions seem to be the positions that everyone has difficulty with.

But still, Brady, Davey, O'Connell, Kingsbury, Mallet, Cassel, Robinson, Garoppolo, Brisset, Etling, Stidham. That's 11 picks and 3 hits (Cassel, Garoppolo and Brady) though Brady is the greatest hit in NFL history. At the WR position they are at 14 picks and 4 hits (Givens, Branch, Edelman and Mitchell [not counting Berrios since he's playing ok for another team as a late 7th rounder]). It's about the same hit rate. Don't look at the DBs though--it is horrifically bad.
This is once again lazy posting. Throwing qb's they drafted in later rounds, basically throw away picks, and saying they didn't hit on them is a waste of this boards time.

He basically had a perfect season this year. I am not quite sure what you mean by a QB who makes people around him better, when both he and his team had a perfect season. Not sure what else he could do, except be more perfecter??

No the Tide didn't need a great QB to win, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a great QB, it simply means you have to look at what he did and go beyond simple stats.

He certainly may not be the answer, the draft is an inexact science, but simply saying his team was too good, he must suck certainly doesn't do justice to how good or bad a player he is.

Jones looked great throwing a 15 yard pass to Devonta Smith that he caught and ran 45 yards for a TD.

After all these National Championship Alabama teams can you list 1 Bama QB who is a threat to blow the NFL up on his way to the Super Bowl?

No, because there arent any.

I would include Brissett in the hits category. Not because he's great, but he's an NFL caliber QB who can compete for a starter job in the right situation, which is more than most draft picks (certainly in 3rd round or later) end up being.

I would include Brissett in the hits category. Not because he's great, but he's an NFL caliber QB who can compete for a starter job in the right situation, which is more than most draft picks (certainly in 3rd round or later) end up being.

I can certainly see that.

I didn't add him because he was a 3rd rounder and the Patriots traded him for Phil Dorsett!! (which tells me a lot about what Belichick really thinks of him). A 3rd rounder for a career backup is not a miss, BUT I don't think Belichick thinks much of him. He could've been a career backup for us, especially earning as little as they do. Instead Belichick sent him away prior to his 3rd year. And he paid Hoyer a bundle instead.

Jones looked great throwing a 15 yard pass to Devonta Smith that he caught and ran 45 yards for a TD.

After all these National Championship Alabama teams can you list 1 Bama QB who is a threat to blow the NFL up on his way to the Super Bowl?

No, because there arent any.
How many qb's can blow up the nfl on the way to the superbowl? We have a 42 year old qb who won again. I guess Michigan must be the place to draft qb's from.

How many qb's can blow up the nfl on the way to the superbowl? We have a 42 year old qb who won again.

I guess Michigan must be the place to draft qb's from.
Pls not, I watched a lot of their games, their qb play and offense was awful at times this season, really hard to watch :D

I don’t think he will fall to us at 15
I'm guessing Carolina if i had to pick one team
, but he would be my third choice behind Lawrence and Wilson. It’s hard to tell just how good he is, though, because Alabama had an overwhelming talent advantage over almost every single team they played this year. The only team that matched up with them was Florida, and he picked our defense apart. The only reason we were in that game was because we could score with them. The best tape to probably watch of him would be the National Championship after Smith left the game. Granted, they were up big and a conservative approach was the way to go, but it will give you an idea of his decision making and ball placement when he doesn’t have guys running wide open.

If we want him, I don’t think we can stay at 15. There will probably have to be a trade up.

3 out of 11 and none picked in the 1st round, and only one in the 2nd round. Most picked in the 4th round and later.

It could be argued that Brisset is a success too. Overall that is doing quite well. Not great, but OK.

3 out of 11 and none picked in the 1st round, and only one in the 2nd round. Most picked in the 4th round and later.

It could be argued that Brisset is a success too. Overall that is doing quite well. Not great, but OK.

But--we haven't expended premium picks on WR either. Harry is our only 1st rounder. We've basically mirrored the amount of assets we've used on QBs with the same on WRs.

Now, if you want to talk about the million and one 2nd rounders we've used on Ras-I-Dowling, Cyrus Jones, JoeJuan Williams, Darius Butler, Duke Dawson and Jordan Richards, I totally agree.

One of the reasons "he played on a talented team" is bs is bc they're going to the NFL!! It's an all-star league lol. It's literally the best of the best, 99th % type stuff.

Idk I just hate hearing that. Again people have been isolating player traits, tendencies etc forever. It's a weak pitch if you ask me.
I'm a fan of guys doing it at the highest level. I'd rather have a kid like Jones or Fields than a big armed guy out of some 1AA school.

Definitely a problem on this Pats team and in the NFL in general where all the DBs are fast.
He'd have to throw everything to Harry in the window of a shoebox.

I'm a fan of guys doing it at the highest level. I'd rather have a kid like Jones or Fields than a big armed guy out of some 1AA school.
It's always nice when that happens. More often than not it's a good thing. It's just really hard to evaluate QB'S bc it's not a plug & play position. Some players may talk to their coaches sparingly throughout the week while your QB is in touch with someone every hour. Not easy.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back